Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

We're due to draw down in about 6/7 weeks. Getting the mortgage protection done this week just in case there are any complications or delays

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Siipina

Still no words from any solicitor, by now I can even imagine it to happen anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Penn wrote: »
    Agreed, but the point is that if you already have life insurance in place, adding mortgage protection to it is fairly simple.

Yeah, I agree. I wasn't aware that there was already Life cover in place so was basing my assumptions and comments on that fact.

Do you mind me asking, what's the delay for you? Last time I had to get it it was pretty straightforward. However now that I'm almost 20 years older I might be expected to do a medical test etc before I'm issued another policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Yeah, I agree. I wasn't aware that there was already Life cover in place so was basing my assumptions and comments on that fact.

Do you mind me asking, what's the delay for you? Last time I had to get it it was pretty straightforward. However now that I'm almost 20 years older I might be expected to do a medical test etc before I'm issued another policy.

Pre-existing medical condition. Small thing but I haven't had it checked in a while and stuff. However, it was always "Once this is done, we'll have a decision". Then when that's done, "Well now they're asking for this, so once that's done, we'll have a decision". Then when that's done "They now want this... so once that's done we'll have a decision". It's been the weeks trying to organise all those things that have just constantly pushed things back.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Pre-existing medical condition. Small thing but I haven't had it checked in a while and stuff. However, it was always "Once this is done, we'll have a decision". Then when that's done, "Well now they're asking for this, so once that's done, we'll have a decision". Then when that's done "They now want this... so once that's done we'll have a decision". It's been the weeks trying to organise all those things that have just constantly pushed things back.

And as of about half an hour ago, finally sorted. Hopefully smooth sailing from here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Anyone hear anymore about what's coming up in the budget for FTB??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Trying to ignore the usual kite flying tbh.

Seems any "help" for FTB's is both a terrible idea (imo) and only going to be those buying new so I'll miss out anyway...

Sleepy wrote: »
    Trying to ignore the usual kite flying tbh.

Seems any "help" for FTB's is both a terrible idea (imo) and only going to be those buying new so I'll miss out anyway...

That's my question where do they draw the line with 'new houses' house I bought is new,but was built 7/8 years ago......

It says new dwelling/apartment on the PPR so should be okay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Anyone hear anymore about what's coming up in the budget for FTB??

2 weeks to wait for the truth rather than speculation ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MissElle

As I said, I've been waiting 6 weeks to finalise mortgage protection and have put off signing contracts until I'm sure I have it in place.

Just seen this part now, I haven't signed contracts yet, still waiting these. The house won't be ready until April but went for cover early because I have a pre existing medical condition (raised BP, on meds last 4 years). Should I wait to sign contracts until I have the cover sorted? Is there a way to extend this and still ensure the house will be mine? Never even thought to ask, feel stupid now!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Back to square one.
    Another house comes and goes... outbid once again.

Was 395k asking... current bid is 445.
    And it's a G rated terrace 3bed in D5!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Back to square one.

Holy crap.
    Sorry to hear that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Ugh - after the vendors agent pushing us to actually close completely, drawdown mortgage etc for last week, they havent even managed to get the contracts over to our solicitor yet so I dashed about making everything ready and now just sitting on my hands. Plus we are away for a week the week after next so now its quite likely everything will have to wait til we are back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Bank of Ireland have a mortgage savers account with 10% bonus on it, I would suggest you look into that.

I wouldn't stress yourself too much about the furnishings etc. Once you have a bed and a cooker you can survive anything. People will help and you can sort that over time.

Very best of luck to you and fair play on saving, it will all be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Back to square one.

That sucks. Know exactly how you feel. Honestly starting to feel like we aint gonna get a house and starting to get real fed up with the 'You'll get the right house for you'' line people keep saying. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭hawkeye_bmr

Santy2015 wrote: »
    It says new dwelling/apartment on the PPR so should be okay

We are the same Santy, built 2006/07 but says new build on PPR

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Siipina

Yay, our solicitor received replies this morning about the issues and missing documents. Unfortunately, they have not dealt fully with the issues of the planning and identity and she has to go back to them on it. We cannot get a mortgage without clarification on these issues.
    How is it possible that a solicitor sends only half of which is required with the contracts, with a closing date three days later and then it takes nearly two weeks to get a half of the half and still important things are missing?
    Like its not that we have a great amount of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

Meant to be getting keys Friday 7th October all going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Saving with the last few month for a mortgage. Hoping to apply early next year.

One thing that really bugs me is how incompetent solicitors seem to be. It feels like the only profession that constantly get away with sub par performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Ayuntamiento

I'm so torn. My husband and I have saved enough of a deposit to buy a 260k property in the last 12mths. We're currently renting and have a pet so I fear that we'll be homeless if our landlord decides to get rid of the place (which is likely). Our combined salaries would allow us to borrow 500k but obviously we'd have to spend another year or more saving in order to have the deposit that matches that amount. I'm viewing places that are within our current budget (basically 2 bed apartments as we're Dublin based) and I fluctuate between desperately wanting to buy a place right away (stability for us and our pet) and feeling like I should wait it out until I can buy a forever home.
    I know none of you have the answers to my problem but I just needed to put it out there. I'm so afraid the 3 of us could end up out on the street. Today's property was just under 600sq ft. Have any of you bought properties that small as starter homes and how did it work out a few years down the line in terms of re-selling?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

I'm so torn. My husband and I have saved enough of a deposit to buy a 260k property in the last 12mths. We're currently renting and have a pet so I fear that we'll be homeless if our landlord decides to get rid of the place (which is likely). Our combined salaries would allow us to borrow 500k but obviously we'd have to spend another year or more saving in order to have the deposit that matches that amount. I'm viewing places that are within our current budget (basically 2 bed apartments as we're Dublin based) and I fluctuate between desperately wanting to buy a place right away (stability for us and our pet) and feeling like I should wait it out until I can buy a forever home. I know none of you have the answers to my problem but I just needed to put it out there. I'm so afraid the 3 of us could end up out on the street. Today's property was just under 600sq ft. Have any of you bought properties that small as starter homes and how did it work out a few years down the line in terms of re-selling?

What age are you? Stick with the saving for another year would be my call. Or, apply for an exemption on the deposit amount

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Arsen5

I'm so torn. My husband and I have saved enough of a deposit to buy a 260k property in the last 12mths. We're currently renting and have a pet so I fear that we'll be homeless if our landlord decides to get rid of the place (which is likely). Our combined salaries would allow us to borrow 500k but obviously we'd have to spend another year or more saving in order to have the deposit that matches that amount. I'm viewing places that are within our current budget (basically 2 bed apartments as we're Dublin based) and I fluctuate between desperately wanting to buy a place right away (stability for us and our pet) and feeling like I should wait it out until I can buy a forever home.
    I know none of you have the answers to my problem but I just needed to put it out there. I'm so afraid the 3 of us could end up out on the street. Today's property was just under 600sq ft. Have any of you bought properties that small as starter homes and how did it work out a few years down the line in terms of re-selling?
    Don't know the full picture but if I were you I would continue saving. First the place you are renting is not the only house for rent in Dublin you can easily rent another place. 2ndly the process is so long might take more than 6 months from first applying to getting the keys. I applied for AIP when I had only 27k while the required deposit is 47K (try find good broker) by the time I finally got all things sorted AIP insurance etc I managed to complete the deposit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

How long are you in your current home? Because that will make a difference in terms of how much notice your landlord has to give you. I totally get where you're coming from with a pet because the vast majority of landlords won't allow pets, so you do need security but don't panic because your landlord may not be getting rid of the place and even if he is will probably take time to do so.

On a separate note, I have to be honest, coming from a place of bitter experience where I spent 350k on a house 13 years ago when times where good I would never do the same again. 500k now IMO is more than any house is worth. Do bear in mind that you may be on maternity leave in the future, one of you may lose your jobs etc. etc. and could you still afford to repay the mortgage in those circumstances? In other words, I would start small. They're are houses out there that can be bought for 300-350k that are beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

We are sale agreed since 30th of August, still no sign of contracts. I was onto estate agent to put pressure on vendors. Should be straight forward. Nobody living in the house. We are first time buyers. Landlord in the house we are renting is putting pressure on us to give definite date of moving out.Very frustrating!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

dar_cool wrote:
    We are sale agreed since 30th of August, still no sign of contracts. I was onto estate agent to put pressure on vendors. Should be straight forward. Nobody living in the house. We are first time buyers. Landlord in the house we are renting is putting pressure on us to give definite date of moving out.Very frustrating!!!

We're sale agreed since the 12th and nothing either. Apparently the delay is with the deeds to the house. Very frustrating as we've everything done on our side and feel like we're in limbo. On the plus side we're still saving with each month that goes by

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭EmmaMurray2016

Will the car loan not be a block on getting a mortgage ? I went for a mortgage about 4/5 years ago and I had a car loan and I was told to clear it and come back ? I was under the impression no loans and the continuous savings 6 months plus ...... Maybe things have changed but best of luck when you go for it. I was doing it on my own so maybe u are ok if doing it with a second person

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭zedhead

Simona1986 wrote: »
    We're sale agreed since the 12th and nothing either. Apparently the delay is with the deeds to the house. Very frustrating as we've everything done on our side and feel like we're in limbo. On the plus side we're still saving with each month that goes by

We're the same, sale agreed since the end of August and nothing. We found out from our Solicitor today that they are only applying for the title deed today and that we are looking at a wait of at least 3 weeks until contracts come in. So frustrating! But yes, more savings for furniture the longer it goes on, so must look on the bright side.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭EmmaMurray2016

Ok this post is 203 pages long lol I'm years behind re; last post I posted lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Simona1986 wrote: »

We had a delay with them getting the deeds too but still got keys in 7 weeks so don't stress too much yet if you can

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement