Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

zedhead wrote: »
    Starting to get really frustrated with the lack of communication. We went sale agreed at the end of august and still no sign of contracts or any indication of a closing date. Our solicitor advised that the vendors solicitor said the deeds had arrived last week but they needed to check in with where the vendors were at with their purchase. Everyone on their side seems really relaxed about it all.

Sounds like they are stalling a little if they are waiting on their own purchase to move along - would your solicitor have an idea of whether issues have come up for the vendor that will continue to delay it? Seems like a really long time between Sale Agreed & contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

We are Sale Agreed as of this morning! Can't believe it.

It will be interesting to see how quickly it moves with neither side in a chain, no extensions with planning permission or any other complexities.

I have probably just jinxed myself and now the deeds will be lost and/or we will have issues on drawdown of the mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭zedhead

Mink wrote: »
    Sounds like they are stalling a little if they are waiting on their own purchase to move along - would your solicitor have an idea of whether issues have come up for the vendor that will continue to delay it? Seems like a really long time between Sale Agreed & contracts.

All our solicitor has told is that it seems to be taking a long time and the other side are being very relaxed. He is pushing for progress but not much else can be done. I do think they are stalling to sort out their purchase to line it all up, but I would just like even a rough indication of timeframe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Mink wrote: »
    We are Sale Agreed as of this morning! Can't believe it.

It will be interesting to see how quickly it moves with neither side in a chain, no extensions with planning permission or any other complexities.

I have probably just jinxed myself and now the deeds will be lost and/or we will have issues on drawdown of the mortgage.

I went Sale Agreed at the end of August and we still havent even signed contracts yet.

Im disgusted - no chain on either side, no extensions, no complexities.

All the delays seem to be from the sellers side - we are just waiting to sign but our solicitor is waiting to responses on pre contract queries ages at this stage.

I almost feel like it was just a dream and there is no house Im supposed to be buying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Selling, and buying, can be extremely frustrating. I'm dealing with someone who's solicitor seems to be absolutely useless. Everyone on two sides of the transaction are ready to go for a while, but this solicitor is on the slow train to nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

What would be considered a normal / good price for a solicitor fees for buying a new house (no selling involved)?
    We got quoted 2,852 - I've nothing to compare it to?
    Any chearper options out there people can suggest? Kildare area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I was charged about 2400.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

NEDDURC wrote: »
    What would be considered a normal / good price for a solicitor fees for buying a new house (no selling involved)?

I got the following estimate from solicitor in the clare Area;

Legal fees 1250 minus discount of 250 plus VAT = €1230
    Plus
    Stamp duty @1%
    Search fees estimate €70
    Land Registry Fee on Transfer €700
    Land Registry fee on charge €175
    Land Registry fee on folio on completion & EAS €50
    Commissioner for oaths €10
    Plus
    Land Property Tax Due apportionment

And then other costs we incurred
    Survey €350+VAT (didn't need boundary check, otherwise would have been €500+VAT)
    Bank Valuation €150
    Broker €500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

North Dublin

Legal fees 895 plus VAT 206 = €1101
    Plus
    Search fees estimate €79
    Land Registry Fee on Transfer €700
    Land Registry fee on charge €175
    Land Registry fee on folio on completion & EAS €75
    Commissioner for oaths €20

Stamp duty @ 1%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

I went Sale Agreed at the end of August and we still havent even signed contracts yet.

Im disgusted - no chain on either side, no extensions, no complexities.

All the delays seem to be from the sellers side - we are just waiting to sign but our solicitor is waiting to responses on pre contract queries ages at this stage.

I almost feel like it was just a dream and there is no house Im supposed to be buying!
    We are in the very same position as you. No chain on either side. House is empty. Waiting on queries aswell . I seriously have a pain with it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭boris1234

We just went for our first consultation with our bank today (AIB) and based on the conversation we had we are in a good position to apply for a mortgage now.

Just wondering about shopping around, is there much better value to be had from other lenders? I see all the various lenders seem to have some offers to lure in new customers, such as contributions to legal fees (KBC), 2% cashback on your mortgage (BOI).

Since our current accounts are both with AIB and having a mortgage with them eliminates current account fees then I'm thinking is it just best to stick with them. Or is that view too simplistic given the enormity of the purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭StiffOldMan

zedhead wrote: »
    Starting to get really frustrated with the lack of communication. We went sale agreed at the end of august and still no sign of contracts or any indication of a closing date. Our solicitor advised that the vendors solicitor said the deeds had arrived last week but they needed to check in with where the vendors were at with their purchase. Everyone on their side seems really relaxed about it all.
    We have been trying arrange with the Estate Agent to go back to the property to take some measurements so we can price furniture etc but slow to come back.

I know all we can do is wait, but I hate the not knowing. I would love if they could give us some sort of estimated date when we might get contracts/close

Yes unfortunately you're in a chain. They are selling to move on. Nothing you can do as contracts have not been exchanged. You can take your deposit back or suggest it if you really want things to start moving, but if they're held up trying to sell their house, there's nothing they can do either...

If you do exchange contracts, get the closing date in the contract too. It took us about three months to get the contracts exchanged due to the vendor having problems moving to their new house, but the closing date wasnt in it either, so things dragged on... At the time it was very frustrating because we didn't know what was going on but in hindsight I believe they were delaying or waiting for other things to fall into place

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭StiffOldMan

NEDDURC wrote: »

Living in Newbridge, €1000 legal fees + VAT. Obviously searches and administration costs on top of this basic fee, plus stamp duty. Are you quoting JUST legal fees?? That seems very expensive if its just legal fees and not including searches etc

Yes unfortunately you're in a chain. They are selling to move on. Nothing you can do as contracts have not been exchanged. You can take your deposit back or suggest it if you really want things to start moving, but if they're held up trying to sell their house, there's nothing they can do either...

If you do exchange contracts, get the closing date in the contract too. It took us about three months to get the contracts exchanged due to the vendor having problems moving to their new house, but the closing date wasnt in it either, so things dragged on... At the time it was very frustrating because we didn't know what was going on but in hindsight I believe they were delaying or waiting for other things to fall into place

I think i wouldn't mind the time so much if they were forthcoming on communication. Until contracts are signed there is no security for us and just some reassurance that they aren't going to pull out of this would be nice. The fact we are looking for updates etc shows that we are still invested in the purchase. Just feel a bit lost, especially when family keep asking when we are moving and press us for answers that we don't have makes us feel a bit insecure about it.

Don't want to go asking for deposit back or anything like that and we will hang in there because we love the house, just hard not to be worried/frustrated by it all. I think even if they could come back to us with a date when we could go back and view again would be something, we have been trying to tie down some time for 3 weeks and nothing back.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭cnlbel

contracts exchanged. closing date agreed. all in order to draw down. Terrified and excited. Really never thought we'd get to this point. keep waiting for something to go wrong!

Can someone advise please?

We need to show a letter of indemnity (for house insurance) in order to draw down.

We can't install an alarm until we draw down and get the keys.

Will we need to take out a more expensive policy for the insurance, draw down, install an alarm, then go back and try get the premium reduced once the alarm is installed?

is there much in the price difference for policy with no alarm?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Its sometimes better to pay the difference in case the one time you dont have it turned on you are robbed, in this case they can avoid paying out

cnlbel wrote: »

Good question! Probably should find out before asking on here. I bet it's not that much more expensive.
    Its sometimes better to pay the difference in case the one time you dont have it turned on you are robbed, in this case they can avoid paying out

I was just reading about a guy who pays extra just for the peace of mind. It probably costs less to pay the difference than to maintain an alarm.

Sorry for the stupid question!

It's 120 difference over the year.
    Tenner a month.

Think we'll insure it without an alarm even though we'll have an alarm, just to be covered

• Advertisement

so does that cover you if something happens and the alarm wasnt put on? we are doing our house insurance today to draw down monday. no alarm in our place but will be putting in one as soon as we can.

so does that cover you if something happens and the alarm wasnt put on? we are doing our house insurance today to draw down monday. no alarm in our place but will be putting in one as soon as we can.

Yeah that's the idea.
    The insurance company wouldn't know we will eventually have an alarm, so will be covered regardless. Alarm will be for our own peace of mind.

Does that make sense?!

Ah i see!

i feel tremendously grown up discussing house insurance and alarms :)

So got some sort of update from the EA last night but she is waiting to talk to the vendors solicitor today to give us more information. Basically the house the vendors are buying is in receivership which mean it is not a straightforward purchase. The EA is going to try and find out what the details of the hold up are, but from doing some research on here they may not get that info and who knows how long it will take to sort out...

Feeling a little deflated now and just waiting on the EA to call with any more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Ah i see!

i feel tremendously grown up discussing house insurance and alarms :)

Quick qs - how long does house insurance take to sort out?
    If I start looking for quotes and am happy, are we talking a day or so or are any further checks / paperwork required?

whiskeyman wrote: »
    If I start looking for quotes and am happy, are we talking a day or so or are any further checks / paperwork required?

Insurance seems to be straight forward. Just give the values and house details and they'll give you a price. You need a closing date though so they can give a letter of indemnity to proceed.

We haven't got our closing date so I can't offer more info, sorry!

whiskeyman wrote: »

I am not too sure. We are taking out our insurance with the bank. When i told them i wanted to draw down monday, they said that they would call before hand to do the house insurance. I know that if we were getting it with someone else we would need to provide a letter of indemnity so that could be a few days. Doing it with the bank just was easier for us. limit the amount of institutions that could hold things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tuesday_Girl

I called them up and was able to sort it out in a few minutes, you can also get a quote online with most insurers then call them up if you have any questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I have asked this several times and have not gotten an answer.

We are going for full approval now, we are not sure though if we will need the full amount we have AIP for but would rather not have to decide until draw down or closer to it at least. Can we get full approval now and then change the amount say from 300,000 to 280,000 at draw down? What is involved if we do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

When getting approval we gave a max amount of what we'd want to borrow but at loan pack time the amount we want to draw down is 20% less than what we were approved for. We just told them what we wanted to borrow at the time. It shouldn't be an issue but run it by the bank or broker for your own peace of mind.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement