Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All the properties I enquire about are 'under offer' but never sold

Options
  • 29-09-2015 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭

Has happened loads of times over the last few years. Commercial & residential. Normally I call to view & they say 'It's under offer'. I call back a month later as the for sale signs are still up and again it is 'under offer'.

I even offered over the asking price on a commercial and they still didn't budge.

Any idea why this keeps happening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

ch750536 wrote: »
    Has happened loads of times over the last few years. Commercial & residential. Normally I call to view & they say 'It's under offer'. I call back a month later as the for sale signs are still up and again it is 'under offer'.

I even offered over the asking price on a commercial and they still didn't budge.

lots of tyre kickers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Happens - they're in the process of selling and it takes ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Dublin21

Happens - they're in the process of selling and it takes ages.

Plus 1.. We are just past the 6 month mark in our saga, very very long process :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Dublin21 wrote: »
    Plus 1.. We are just past the 6 month mark in our saga, very very long process :(

It has been 2 years with one of the properties though. I called back the other day 'not for sale'. How come it is on the website & there is a for sale sign then?

It has been 2 years with one of the properties though. I called back the other day 'not for sale'. How come it is on the website & there is a for sale sign then?

I went sale agreed last year, closed early this year, still Sale Agreed on SherryFitz's website despite me telling them and the property appearing on the PPR.

Go figure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Possibilities:

1. Agent too lazy to update website
    2. Agent corrupt and in league with the developer/owner, who is in strife with the bank and needs to give the appearance of selling, while in actuality waiting for the market to improve
    3. Buyer/seller not in a position to move quickly, and the sale is dragging on for a very long time

Take your pick, really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 curt_kobain

DivingDuck wrote: »
    Possibilities:

2. Agent corrupt and in league with the developer/owner, who is in strife with the bank and needs to give the appearance of selling, while in actuality waiting for the market to improve
    3. Buyer/seller not in a position to move quickly, and the sale is dragging on for a very long time

Take your pick, really.

number two is the most likely

there is often a preferred buyer , a lot of estate agents dont want to sell good value property to a complete stranger who might never do business with them again and more to the point might never buy a second or third property

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Archaeoliz

We've had this and things similar a few times. One house isn't sold or under offer but I've been trying to arrange a viewing since 14th August and the EA won't get back to me, although one person in their office said they didn't think they were doing viewings on that house anymore. Another one I viewed once and have been trying to arrange a second viewing with my husband since the middle of August - no joy. One house we went sale agreed on, after 5 months the vendor pulled out saying he wanted more money (still not sold) and another we offered on came off the market because he didn't have compliance with planning (or building regs).

Frustrating. If it's for sale let's talk, if not please stop wasting my time and yours. If it's to do with the bank then grow up, take some responsibility and deal with the situation. If it's corrupt EA's then the system isn't working and needs a concerted effort to make sure it can't happen as if it's as widespread as anecdotal evidence suggests (and I really don't know if it is or not) then more regulation would work for EAs to build trust and surely make transaction processes easier for everyone. *Climbs down from soapbox*

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Another possibility (less common, but I believe it happens) is that you're part of a demographic group that the seller has told the agent they will not sell to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Another possibility (less common, but I believe it happens) is that you're part of a demographic group that the seller has told the agent they will not sell to.

i have never heard of this
    what would be the line of thought?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭futonic

DivingDuck wrote: »
    Possibilities:

Take your pick, really.
    I've seen it happen on an apartment too. Took about 1 month for them to show us the place. Estate agent was very cagey and said something along the lines of, I'm going on my holidays soon and wouldn't really be interested in selling until the investors come back after their summer holidays. 1 month on, I can see someone is living in the apartment, it was never sold and is still 'for sale'. I think it's number 2 from the list above. Something very dodgy going on. I'm just going to avoid that EA from now on

Tigger wrote: »
    i have never heard of this
    what would be the line of thought?

I've heard of estates where everyone has an unofficial pact to never sell or rent to << whoever >>.

Note that the OP says "I call to view and they say ...". Accents are a big deal in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Owners in trouble with bank are putting property on the market to keep bank happy. But they have no intention of selling

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 rain_soaked

I've heard of estates where everyone has an unofficial pact to never sell or rent to << whoever >>.

could it be the individual earned a reputation for wasting time , pulling out of deals ?

the thing with estate agents , they are very ethical about how buyers conduct themselves yet are extremely liberal about how they themselves deal in truth , transparency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Note that the OP says "I call to view and they say ...". Accents are a big deal in this country.

What have accents got to do with this ????

There are places where there is an unofficial, but still strong, pact among owners to never sell to a <<whatever>>. Accents are one way of identifying members of the unwanted group.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I'm gonna call "urban legend" on this. What owners is going to agree to reject the highest offer because the neighbours he will probably never see again are bigots?

Plus, this is an "unofficial pact" that would have to include all the estate agents, and requires both their co-operation and their silence. And since it would cost them money - they have an obvious incentive to maximise competition among buyers and always to accept the best offer - why would they co-operate, or keep silent?

I'm not denying that someone might try to organise a lock-out of this kind, but it would be practically impossible to make it work in practice, since everyone involved in the conspiracy would be both financially and morally rewarded by breaking it.

I'm fairly incredulous about it too, however, having recently moved out of the CC in to the Northside 'burbs I'm frequently surprised at how close knit the community is. There are various relations around to the vendors and quite a few people who would have been quite close friends.

A few years ago some nomadic people were rendered nomadic no more and there isn't any out and out bigotry towards them but there is the odd comment passed about incidents that happened. All calmed down now. I can imagine that if certain people wanted to buy in the area vs a middle class couple with kids offering slightly less the MCC would win out.

Just my 2 cents.

Fairly reliable method of identifying certain demographic groups that may be selected for not selling to.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

Estate agents are a pure annoyance,liars would be a light way to put it.

Have had the exact sane scenario,property for sale enquired about it and was told asking was a lot higher than advertised and there was keen interest.
    Met the owner who knew nothing of other interest and wanted quick sale and would accept a lower offer.

Just for the hell of it the owner let the auctioneer go ahead playing games.in the end owner was very angry wit the crap played by the auctioneer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Guess that’s why I see ad’s stating “viewing strictly by appointment only” certainly wouldn’t want the buyer and owner making a deal that both parties agree upon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

And the property that was not for sale has just been relisted as for sale. I get a local (strong kerry accent) to call and it's not for sale.

Seriously annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

So I guess when I ready to buy a home in the west of Ireland and call with a yank accent, im doomed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Don't know. The market in Dublin Cork Galway has been on the up. Other areas have been slow to take off. Yes there have been properties about the place, which become Sale Agreed, months later the deal falls through and the property is back on the market.

Op , you may be one of many people who are frustrated trying to buy a property, I don't think it is a case of people in each others pockets and backwater corruption.

You mention you have had bad experiences while trying to buy a Commercial premises also.........?????? Seems rather odd????

So I guess when I ready to buy a home in the west of Ireland and call with a yank accent, im doomed :D

Yep. Yank accent will see the asking go up by 20k.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement