Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 6P

• 29-09-2015 7:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Well I took the plunge and preordered a Nexus 6P

2wgdctc.jpg

Great to see that it's available in Ireland at launch. Pity is much more expensive than in the US. My sister is going to Vegas in September so I was thinking of ordering it in Bestbuy for collection but I think it's only available online from Google :(

The only thing putting me off is the amoled screen. Never had a phone with one before and would be concerned re screen burn especially with the on screen buttons.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭theintern

digitaldr wrote: »

2wgdctc.jpg

Great to see that it's available in Ireland at launch. Pity is much more expensive than in the US. My sister is going to Vegas in September so I was thinking of ordering it in Bestbuy for collection but I think it's only available online from Google :(

The only thing putting me off is the amoled screen. Never had a phone with one before and would be concerned re screen burn especially with the on screen buttons.

Did they charge your card straight away? Tempted to order but not if they charge now and you don't get it for a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

2wgdctc.jpg

Jasus it's nice a nice phone but if your spending that much I'd be looking at the s6 edge or the s6 edge plus... Nexus 6 looking like good value at €459 now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Better phones for that money imo.

The price is a joke, 500 dollars across the pond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zen 2nd

theintern wrote:
    Did they charge your card straight away? Tempted to order but not if they charge now and you don't get it for a month.

You only get charged when they send it off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭biebiebie

For the price, there's really nothing unique to this phone. OK so first to have marshmallow, but it won't be the only one.

I'll pass and wait for the next crop of Snapdragon 820 phones.

Now if it were something with a foldable screen, like the rumoured Samsung project valley, then it might be worthwhile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Price is pretty high and might make me change my mind. Luckily
    Your order has been placed! As soon as it has been dispatched you'll receive a separate email with your tracking number. You will not be charged until your order has been shipped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I'll hold off until I see some reviews from the likes of MKBHD.
    He's tweeted earlier saying it's a great piece of kit so fingers crossed it's worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

No doubt a decent phone but not at that price. Will be worth picking up in 6 months time when it is a reasonable price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

shocking price, definitely wont be touching it at this price and i think Google will find that they wont shift many with it being so high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Mourinho

LG G4 available for €400 delivered off Eglobal or €480 through Amazon, processor is wee bit slower but I know which one I'll be getting.

Google can piss off with those prices, I'll have the G4 and a couple spare batteries with cradle chargers for nearly the price of the N6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

For anyone interested, copied from the US and Irish Google Stores:
    US
    GSM/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900MHz
    UMTS/WCDMA: B1/2/4/5/8
    CDMA: BC0/1/10
    LTE (FDD): B2/3/4/5/7/12/13/17/25/26/29/30
    LTE (TDD): B41
    CA DL: B2-B2, B2-B4, B2-B5, B2-B12, B2-B13, B2-B17, B2-B29, B4-B4, B4-B5, B4-B13, B4-B17, B4-B29, B41-B41

IE
    UMTS/WCDMA: B1/2/4/5/6/8/9/19
    TD-SCDMA: 34/39
    CDMA: BC0/1
    LTE (FDD): B1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9/17/19/20/28
    LTE (TDD): B38/B39/40/41
    CA DL: B1-B5, B1-B8, B1-B19, B3-B3, B3-B5, B3-B7, B3-B8, B3-B19, B3-B20, B3-B28, B5-B7, B7-B7, B7-B20, B7-B28, B39-B39, B40-B40, B41-B41
    US
    UMTS/WCDMA: B1/2/4/5/8
    CDMA: BC0/1/10
    LTE (FDD): B1/2/3/4/5/7/12/13/17/20/25/26/29
    LTE (TDD): B41
    LTE CA DL: B2-B2, B2-B4, B2-B5, B2-B12, B2-B13, B2-B17, B2-B29, B4-B4, B4-B5, B4-B7, B4-B12, B4-B13, B4-B17, B4-B29, B41-B41

IE
    UMTS/WCDMA: B1/2/4/5/6/8/9/19
    CDMA: not supported
    LTE (FDD): B1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9/17/18/19/20/26/28
    LTE (TDD): B38/40/41
    LTE CA DL: B1-B3, B1-B5, B1-B7, B1-B8, B1-B18, B1-B19, B1-B26, B3-B3, B3-B5, B3-B7, B3-B8, B3-B19, B3-B20, B3-B28, B5-B7, B7-B7, B7-B20, B7-B28, B40-B40, B41-B41.

So it would seem that LTE/4G Bands 3 and 20, used here, are covered on the US version of the 5X and just Band 3 on the US version of the 6P.

Shipping from the US seems to be cheapest with this crowd (I calculated about $26 for 1kg to Ireland):
    https://www.viabox.com

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

DECEiFER wrote: »

So it would seem that LTE/4G Bands 3 and 20, used here, are covered on the US version of the 5X and just Band 3 on the US version of the 6P.

Shipping from the US seems to be cheapest with this crowd (I calculated about $26 for 1kg to Ireland):

How likely would you be to be caught by Customs from this crowd providing they under declared?

Looks a good service but not if it's +23% VAT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Jasus it's nice a nice phone but if your spending that much I'd be looking at the s6 edge or the s6 edge plus... Nexus 6 looking like good value at €459 now

Is the S6 still bloated with Samsungs awfulness ? You can't beat stock android, in my experience Samsungs skins are just awful and I actively avoid them because if it.

Niemoj wrote: »
    How likely would you be to be caught by Customs from this crowd providing they under declared?

Looks a good service but not if it's +23% VAT!

Not sure how you would go about buying it in the US playstore - might need a US credit card? If you do get caught for customs you'd loose all your savings (there's duty on top of THE VAT AFAIK) and more than likely the warranty is US only. Also the slight disadvantage of always having to use a plug adapter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

DECEiFER wrote: »

so 5X good

6P bad

Who uses 20? what does meteor use anyone know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭theintern

Here are the bands that the networks here use AFAIK.

3 - Band 3 - 1800
    Meteor - Bands 3/20 - 1800/800
    Vodafone - Band 20 - 800

I'm liking the 6P more and more but the price is a killer.
    Could get a Galaxy Note for cheaper which is crazy.

In my eyes the 6P has the following above the Note line:
    -Stock Android
    -Quickest to the latest version of Android
    -Slow mo video

Will see what the reviews say about it before I decide to order it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'm liking the 6P more and more but the price is a killer.
    Could get a Galaxy Note for cheaper which is crazy.

In my eyes the 6P has the following above the Note line:
    -Stock Android
    -Quickest to the latest version of Android
    -Slow mo video

Will see what the reviews say about it before I decide to order it.

I'd love it but not at that price.I would get it in the us but that means lte is hampered so non runnr for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

The price is too high. Not sure what Google were/are thinking.

I put the 6P in the same boat as the OnePlus Two "Flagship Killer" :rolleyes:

I am going to wait to see how the MS 950/XL look next week. Maybe it's time for a change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

The price was giving me serious pause but in the end I said ****it and have put in an order. Anything to get shot of the cluster**** which is the Nexus5 at this stage.

• Advertisement

MKBHD video - he seems very impressed. Wonder if they'll let him do a full review ahead of release?

MKBHD video - he seems very impressed. Wonder if they'll let him do a full review ahead of release?

Ya, he usually get's the devices at each Nexus event so i'd expect he'll have his review up in a week or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

The price is too high. Not sure what Google were/are thinking.

It's simple - early adopters. People who want the latest gadgetry, with price being no object.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Is the S6 still bloated with Samsungs awfulness ? You can't beat stock android, in my experience Samsungs skins are just awful and I actively avoid them because if it.

The S6 has the lightest version of Touchwizz and Samsung apps yet. It's easy to disable the apps and with the free themes and icon packs out now it's very easy to get it to look and run like stock Android without rooting or flashing roms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

The S6 has the lightest version of Touchwizz and Samsung apps yet. It's easy to disable the apps and with the free themes and icon packs out now it's very easy to get it to look and run like stock Android without rooting or flashing roms.

Yet it still fails at basic multi tasking unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

beno619 wrote: »

Isn't that more to do with the phone being really aggressive at app killing more then the interface? It is all touchwiz though so same thing I guess :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

beno619 wrote: »

How so?, It's that I just ordered an S6 Edge yesterday for €595, thought it was good considering the prices of the current competition. 6P included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

The problem is if you get the 6P, it's not going to use Band 20 over here and I don't know to what extent that is used vs. Band 3, only that some networks use both and others use one or the other. The 5X seems to handle both.

You can check this but I don't know how accurate it is:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...orks_in_Europe

As for the possibility of customs catching you for VAT and Duty, if you're using Viabox, you should contact them to say how they mark items for shipping, etc. It's always a risk but it's still an option.

Lastly, warranty. It'd be a US warranty but there has to be some sort of way to make use of it over here. Say an American living in the US now moves to Ireland early next year, before the one year is up... Aren't our warranties two years? I seem to remember the Nexus 4 being two years vs. one year in the US, or am I mistaken? I honestly don't know for sure, but these are all things to bear in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

How so?, It's that I just ordered an S6 Edge yesterday for €595, thought it was good considering the prices of the current competition. 6P included.

Constantly kills apps, 2015 has been a terrible year for Android ever device released this year has some flaw so its all about picking your poison.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/3mr9tn/i_realized_today_just_how_bad_multitasking_is_on/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I just got rid of a Note 4 after a year of use. The hardware was great, had no problem with it. The software was infuriating and outright insulting. After nearly a year since this phone was released and it still took 3+ seconds to open the camera from lock screen, up to 5 seconds to open the latest pic you took using the shortcut in the camera app and there are loads of other examples. The recent apps was essentially useless, it was actually quicker to go back to home screen, into the app drawer and select the app you wanted to reopen. I'm using an LG G4 now and while it is similar to touchwiz in appearance it had NONE of these issues. We're getting a bit off topic now anyway

I don't think you were necessarily off topic - nexus 6p is only available for pre-order so definitely good to discuss alternatives. Tempted by the G4 myself but put off by reports of bad battery life coupled with no quick charge and impossible to get genuine batteries (3rd party ones are crap from what I've read) .

I would be all over this if it was around €500-550. The pricing by Google makes absolutely no sense.

Wasn't the original Nexus 6 $650 in America, and €650 here? Now the 6P is $500 there and still €650 here. Bizarre.

As far as I know, it's being sold by carriers in the US and the UK. Pretty sure EE and O2 will have it there. Would be surprised if we can get it on contract here though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

Disgusted after seeing the price. Had my eyes on the 6p. :( How can they get away with this? I know Ireland is a small market but surley the UK will have none of its price hiking as its a bigger market? Such an opportunity missed in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Didn't the Nexus 6's price drop quickly after it was released?

Isn't buy through the Play store for devices more expensive compared to buying elsewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

I have a friend coming back from Canada in November, so I think I'll get the 6P through her.

From what I've researched, and what's been said here, I'm on the Three network and so the North America 6P should cover the 1800 LTE frequency here or Band 3 as it's called there.

Works out at about €440 when bought in Canada, which makes it seem like the better choice over paying €480 for a 16GB 5X here, and €650 for the 6P.

My only worry is that it kind of locks me into Three, whereas a 5X would give me more freedom.

Besides the hardware benefits of the 6P with a bigger battery and more storage for the base model, it also seems to have more functions:
    • Burst Mode
    • 240fps Slow Mo Video
    • Possibly others that haven't been mentioned yet

I've asked over in Vodafone about it as well, as I can use a work account to get an upgrade and unlock it, if they decide to do it.

• Advertisement

Only other place to get it in the US apart from the playstore is direct from huawei

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Mourinho wrote: »
    LG G4 available for €400 delivered off Eglobal or €480 through Amazon, processor is wee bit slower but I know which one I'll be getting.

Google can piss off with those prices, I'll have the G4 and a couple spare batteries with cradle chargers for nearly the price of the N6

The funny part is they are selling the nexus 5x for more than the G4 (that the 5x was based on) but the G4 is better in every hardware aspect. I don't understand why anyone would choose the 5x over it... apart from stock android.... but come on, is stock worth that much seeing the hardware is a lot lower for a higher price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Mourinho

god's toy wrote: »
    The funny part is they are selling the nexus 5x for more than the G4 (that the 5x was based on) but the G4 is better in every hardware aspect. I don't understand why anyone would choose the 5x over it... apart from stock android.... but come on, is stock worth that much seeing the hardware is a lot lower for a higher price?

Exactly mate. Ordered the EU version LG G4 myself last night with tan leather back off pixmania for €418 delivered :D

I was wondering how pixmania can undercut everywhere else for the G4. If this is the seller you bought it off (now €399. 69 with a voucher code) it seems he's importing from Europe & taking advantage of the strong pound. There's a thread about him here. Seems the imei s can be registered for warranty purposes on the UK LG site without any problems.

I might well be cancelling my 6p order and going for this deal as I'm mainly interested in a better screen and camera - have an OPO at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

http://www.expansys.ie/s.aspx?search=nexus 6

Nexus 6 should drop further. Cyber Monday is 30th November.

• Advertisement

Cheapest I'm seeing the Nexus 6 64GB is €440 on Orange.

Hmmm, tempted.

Mourinho wrote: »
    Exactly mate. Ordered the EU version LG G4 myself last night with tan leather back off pixmania for €418 delivered :D

Nice price, enjoy it!

(Almost jumped out of my socks this morning when I seen the G4 (s) for 240! on iBood, a little after I woke up I spotted it was the S version...)

Niemoj wrote: »
    Cheapest I'm seeing the Nexus 6 64GB is €440 on Orange.

Hmmm, tempted.

Have you ordered with them (Orange) before? if not you will have to get the device shipped to the C card address only or they will ask you for loads of stuff like passport,utility bills,photo id, plus more. I told them a paypal link would suffice and sent them a picture of a load of nuts when they asked me for it.. off I went and got my G4 from amazon. Ha!

god's toy wrote: »
    Have you ordered with them (Orange) before? if not you will have to get the device shipped to the C card address only or they will ask you for loads of stuff like passport,utility bills,photo id, plus more. I told them a paypal link would suffice and sent them a picture of a load of nuts when they asked me for it.. off I went and got my G4 from amazon. Ha!

Jaysus, that sounds like an awful rigmarole for all that.

€400 for 32GB off Amazon.com looks like an option too I guess.

Decisions, decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Komsomolitz

The 6P actually looks really good but it's a shame about the price. Bang for my buck wise I'm still looking at the OnePlus 2.

The 6P actually looks really good but it's a shame about the price. Bang for my buck wise I'm still looking at the OnePlus 2.

Just hope Android pay doesn't take off anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Komsomolitz

Basil3 wrote: »
    Just hope Android pay doesn't take off anytime soon.

NFC not really a concern of mine.

Patww79 wrote: »

If qualcomm and LG didn't custom make the Snapdragonand 808 chip-set for the G4 in the first place I would agree. They knew what they were getting into from the start. while its a given that it may run better on lower end hardware due to lower hardware demands, but as for myself, I have absolutely no issues with hastens behaviour or slowdown and my battery lasts longer than the Oneplus one. So stock or not, I have no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Patww79 wrote: »

It's supposedly coming to the UK relatively soon (matter of a few months I read a while back), I can see Ireland following soon. I'm already seeing plenty of Apple Pay terminals.

I think it has more to do with how fast the banks want to use it, not Google.

• Advertisement
Advertisement