Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 6P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Probably the doze setting? You should be able to exclude certain apps from that I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭what to do?

Hi,

Would the following 6p model work in Ireland (and very importantly Europe as I travel a lot - presume Ireland and European model is the same?) or is this a US model??

I have tried to find out myself and think this phone is ok for Ireland but I'm not sure.

Thanks

2G Network:
    850MHZ 850MHZ
    900MHZ 900MHZ
    1800MHZ 1800MHZ
    1900MHZ 1900MHZ

3G Network:
    800MHZ 800MHZ
    850MHZ 850MHZ
    900MHZ 900MHZ
    1700MHZ 1700MHZ
    1800MHZ 1800MHZ
    1900MHZ 1900MHZ
    2100MHZ 2100MHZ

4G Network:
    700MHZ 700MHZ
    800MHZ 800MHZ
    850MHZ 850MHZ
    900MHZ 900MHZ
    1700MHZ 1700MHZ
    1800MHZ 1800MHZ
    1900MHZ 1900MHZ
    2100MHZ 2100MHZ
    2300MHZ 2300MHZ
    2600MHZ 2600MHZ

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭1jcdub

I'm with Vodafone on Red extra. So I should be receiving 4g+ when available and yet I haven't received it in any area even though I have an in international 6P. Can't understand it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭Nolimits

If anyone is thinking about getting this it's €100 off till the 12th of Feb on the play store. I rather annoyingly got mine just last week :mad:

€80 off the 5x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Cheers I just saw that now. You could try emailing Google and asking if they'll match the price? I've heard of them doing that in America anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Nolimits wrote: »
    If anyone is thinking about getting this it's €100 off till the 12th of Feb on the play store. I rather annoyingly got mine just last week :mad:

€80 off the 5x

Cheers, ordered 32gb aluminium version.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Cheers, ordered 32gb aluminium version.

It's only fair I get 10% of your saving, so I've just pmed you my Paypal address :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Nolimits wrote: »

€80 off the 5x

Cheers for this, I've been dithering for the last couple of weeks on whether or not to buy one (coming from a N4) but had just talked myself out of it as €700 is too much but this prompted me to finally put in the order :D

Hope Google will price match for you. You could always return it if you're still within the window I guess and order a new one?

Anyone know the best way to use a one4all to pay for this?

I was thinking I will use 3money virtual prepaid card (you can't use on4all in three shops but can buy 3money top ups in most supervalus where you can use one4all I think).

The on4all card is essentially a visa card anyway so could try just use it straight but the balance is only €500 and I doubt you can use multiple cards to pay on the google store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Patww79 wrote: »
    Typical, it's finally down to the max price I'd pay for it when the G5 and S7 are right around the corner.

At least hopefully the G5 and S7 will offer SD Card slots. Think the Nexus devices no longer have one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

biebiebie wrote: »
    At least hopefully the G5 and S7 will offer SD Card slots. Think the Nexus devices no longer have one?

Ya and that's the only reason I'm not jumping on this offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Nexus devices will never have SD cards again.
    I think only the first Nexus device has ever had an SD card and that was way back in 2010.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Seems to be a serious camera software update, Camera 3.1, available on playstore.
    http://nseavoice.com/tech/google-nexus-6p-now-a-master-in-photography-92001574.html

Anyone know anything about Nexus Protect, applies only to the 5X & 6P?
    https://mynexusprotect.com/google/general/faqs?lang=en
    Not sure if its available in Ireland, should be around 5 euro monthly.

Which to get, 64gb (should be plenty) or 128gb, I don't do any 4k stuff at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I'd be quite happy with a 16GB phone and no SD if it were available, so that's not a big deal for me (though I'd need to buy the 64GB in this to get the colour I'd want). Never seen the need for SD cards since cloud storage and streaming became available, though I'm probably the exception that I don't game or store music on my phone.

Cloud is fine I guess if your provider doesn't have a black out like meteor does now and again. Also that you have an unlimited data plan to stream all day long. I prefer to keep things local on my phone. I'm old skool perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

She's here!!! And less than 41 hours after I clicked order, not too bad Google :)

24041817094_6a8d74ab99.jpg

Cocolola wrote: »
    She's here!!! And less than 41 hours after I clicked order, not too bad Google :)

24041817094_6a8d74ab99.jpg

Nice! Mine is with courier, hopefully there when I get home from work!

Cheers I just saw that now. You could try emailing Google and asking if they'll match the price? I've heard of them doing that in America anyway

I didn't expect much but thought I'd take your advice and fire off an email anyway, just got a response saying that they are refunding the €100 so good times :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Dozz

Hi all
    Im thinking of buying a 6p with the current deal but I already have a One Plus 2.
    What do people think, is it worth it?
    I find the OP2 a bit big to be honest and fairly laggy (preferred my old htc m7 & m8) but have always wanted a nexus device.
    Any opinions would be appreciated.
    Dozz

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭what to do?

Also thinking of buying one...

Have a galaxy note 3 for two years. There's nothing really wrong with it (battery is probably a bit knackered). Ive never found it slow or buggys or any of the other comments you read about the Samsung phones, I guess my usage of the phone doesn't put any huge demands on it. No reason I couldn't keep current phone but it won't get any more updates and it's always nice to get a new phone every few years....

The specs and the reviews seem a bit mixed on the nexus. I'm not convinced it's a massive step up from even the note 3. When the note 4 came out I said I'd wait for the note 5, which isn't on sale here... But even still, don't think any of the last few versions of phones have made any massive leap. Not sure I want to wait and see what a nexus 7 phone or note 6 might be like either though.

Anyway, rambling now... . Anyone go from a galaxy note 3 or 4 to the nexus 6p?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I've had my 6p for about a month now and I absolutely love it. I stepped up from a fairly battered nexus 4 so the difference was huge in terms of performance, screen quality, camera quality, and battery life. It really does tick all the boxes as long as you can live with the size of a proper 'phablet' device. My hands are fairly big so it's no bother for me, but you'd definitely want a case as the aluminium finish is extremely slippery without one. My only real gripe with the size is the struggle to get it in my pocket as I'm a fan of skinny jeans.

Marshmallow is a better version of lollipop, and I'm a big fan of the pure Android experience.

Anyone who's seen the phone is amazed by the size and the premium appearance, and it really does back up the looks in terms of performance. The camera is absolutely fantastic, low light shots are dealt with as well as I've seen from any .

I was very lucky to be able to get it at the American price as I doubt I would have stumped for the ridiculous premium they're charging over here, but anyone who shells out will be rewarded with a beast of a machine.

Anyone with any more questions about the phone I'd be glad to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Coming from a Galaxy Note 3 also, well over two years old, looking forward to the post on Monday or Tuesday, wondering if you updated the camera to "Camera 3.1" and if so did you notice much of an improvement?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 TotalChelsea

I heard that you are charged extra for tax on top of the price stated

Is that true??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

I heard that you are charged extra for tax on top of the price stated

Is that true??

No the price you pay here is the one stated on their site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zen 2nd

Dozz wrote:
    Hi all Im thinking of buying a 6p with the current deal but I already have a One Plus 2. What do people think, is it worth it? I find the OP2 a bit big to be honest and fairly laggy (preferred my old htc m7 & m8) but have always wanted a nexus device. Any opinions would be appreciated. Dozz

Well the Nexus 6P is bigger than the One Plus 2 so if size is an issue then it probably won't suit you then. I haven't experienced any lag on my 6P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭thomasj

Dozz wrote:
    Hi all Im thinking of buying a 6p with the current deal but I already have a One Plus 2. What do people think, is it worth it? I find the OP2 a bit big to be honest and fairly laggy (preferred my old htc m7 & m8) but have always wanted a nexus device. Any opinions would be appreciated. Dozz

Of you are finding the oneplus 2 a bit big maybe have a look at the nexus 5x. That has a 5.2 inch screen.

• Advertisement

Bollocks, already dropped it while waiting for cover to arrive tomorrow!

Slight damage to the metal edges, least the screen is alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Rob C

I have a Note 3 as well....

But I'm thinking of going the other way. Smaller! Down a size to a Z5 Compact and then getting an 8in Tablet like a Z3 tablet for when I want to really browse the web when travelling.

Anyone know the best way to use a one4all to pay for this?

I was thinking I will use 3money virtual prepaid card (you can't use on4all in three shops but can buy 3money top ups in most supervalus where you can use one4all I think).

The on4all card is essentially a visa card anyway so could try just use it straight but the balance is only €500 and I doubt you can use multiple cards to pay on the google store.

Doesn't look like I'll be able to use my One4All card in any way to get this, so looks like I'll have to start looking at other phones that I can get in shops here.

You can only top up 3money cards with cash, and no way of buying google play store vouchers to use on phones as they don't accept them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

The 5X really is supposed to be a laggy dose of a thing though.

I read the screen is very dim as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

The 6p 32GB is €499 on ibood for today only.. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

I'm abroad at the moment. My plan was to get the S6 when the S7 was released. But now I've been looking at the Nexus 6P. I like the fact that the screen is bigger. The country I'm in has the Nexus 6P on sale on the Google site for 450 euros. I think I could buy the Samsung S6 for the same price sim free on Amazon. Please help me make a decision guys!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭moggser

the nexus 6p over the galaxy s6 all day every day honestly get it you wont be disappointed the S6 was a farce of a device and never lived up to expectation's i was very hesitant about getting the 6P as i had the Nexus 6 and wasnt happy with that but for sure this is one of my top ten phones, well so far lol

• Advertisement

In fairness, you're not going to get people in a 6P thread recommending the S6. There are pros and cons to both.

6P is more recent and will always have latest Android. Samsung are a joke with their updates (my S6 Edge+ still doesn't have MM).

Only downsides of 6P would be that it's possibly too big, I don't like the fingerprint scanner location, and the Snapdragon 810 chip is Qualcomm's weakest premium chip for a good while.

But the battery in the S6. Jesus, that battery life is so bad and reason enough too buy anything else.

For a power user, maybe. I can't really comment. I have the edge+ and battery is better than my M9. Quick charge is also insanely fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭moggser

Basil3 wrote: »
    For a power user, maybe. I can't really comment. I have the edge+ and battery is better than my M9. Quick charge is also insanely fast.

Na the battery is rank, it would drop radically for me with little useage so yeah it's pants. 6p rules whoooo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

So I bought it (abroad). I asked a friend to buy it from the Google store because my account kept reverting back to the euro price. But the price actually jumped up to 494 euros at the checkout, cos of tax. I wasn't expecting that. But I went ahead and got it anyway. I can't wait for it to arrive now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭shanous

Whats the cheapest way to get my hands on one of these?
    Google store IE is bit much sadly.

• Advertisement

shanous wrote: »
    Whats the cheapest way to get my hands on one of these?
    Google store IE is bit much sadly.

Get someone who lives in the states to buy it for you.

Get someone who lives in the states to buy it for you.

Is there anything different between the US and IE/UK versions?
    US version would work alright here?

shanous wrote: »
    Is there anything different between the US and IE/UK versions?
    US version would work alright here?

They're the exact same. I got mine in the US and it works fine on the three network.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

They're the exact same. I got mine in the US and it works fine on the three network.

Not the exact same, some bands are missing from the us version,may not work on all networks but more so some other countries.

JamboMac wrote: »
    Not the exact same, some bands are missing from the us version,may not work on all networks but more so some other countries.

Im not sure what exactly you mean there, can you elaborate?

Im with Three myself, currently using Nexus 5 but keeps resetting constantly and takes forever to turn back on correctly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement