Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 6P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Patww79 wrote: »
    Very little really as far as the phone goes, it's lovely. I just really prefer the feel of the S7 Edge in my hand and the screen is nicer.
    I also find stock Android a tad boring looking after using OEM phones and tablets for ages, though I'm probably in a real minority on that front.

If you do like your updates though then get the Nexus. This won't see Android N until this time next year, whereas the Nexus will be seeing it shortly after launch.

I also prefer the extras that Samsung add and find stock android quite plain in comparison. And yes I have owned a Nexus and loved receiving the latest Android before anyone else.

The 6P looks like an amazing phone. I would have bought it only for the camera doesn't have OIS which is an important option if you're looking of for a good camera phone.
    What a pity.
    I really do miss those nexus updates though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

biebiebie wrote: »
    I also prefer the extras that Samsung add and find stock android quite plain in comparison. And yes I have owned a Nexus and loved receiving the latest Android before anyone else.

The 6P looks like an amazing phone. I would have bought it only for the camera doesn't have OIS which is an important option if you're looking of for a good camera phone.
    What a pity.
    I really do miss those nexus updates though.

The camera in the 6P is absolutely amazingly good. I've gotten so many compliments on photos I've taken with it, and it wipes the floor with any camera on a phone I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭daddy_boy

can anyone recommend a vr headset for the 6p, many thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Check the one in this thread, don't have any vr gizmos myself so can't recommend anything.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=2057572315

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭daddy_boy

Keith186 wrote: »
    Check the one in this thread, don't have any vr gizmos myself so can't recommend anything.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=2057572315

many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭brk3

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭1jcdub

Received the April update yesterday. So far so good. Haven't noticed any differences so far. Battery life seems slightly better. Haven't wiped cache partition yet, which I usually do after every update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

So how is everyone finding the phone?

I think it's a bloody great phone.

Fast, battery life is great, quick updates etc

First nexus and I'm impressed

BobbyT28

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    So how is everyone finding the phone?

I think it's a bloody great phone.

Fast, battery life is great, quick updates etc

First nexus and I'm impressed

BobbyT28

I am really liking mine as well....I was even more so before last week when for no apparent reason it would reboot every few minutes and kept doing that until I had to do a factory reset on it (of course loosing all my data!!). I tried booting into safe mode, clearing the cache but none of them worked :-(

Other than that it has been a flawless experience but I have learnt my lesson in terms of having Google Photo\Dropbox backup turned on as I lost all of my photos from my trip to Budapest which was the most annoying part of it all!!

Cheers,
    M

• Advertisement

madmoe wrote: »
    I am really liking mine as well....I was even more so before last week when for no apparent reason it would reboot every few minutes and kept doing that until I had to do a factory reset on it (of course loosing all my data!!). I tried booting into safe mode, clearing the cache but none of them worked :-(

Other than that it has been a flawless experience but I have learnt my lesson in terms of having Google Photo\Dropbox backup turned on as I lost all of my photos from my trip to Budapest which was the most annoying part of it all!!

Cheers,
    M

Sorry to hear that. I use Flickr for photo syncing/backup. 1TB free storage, app is fantastic as well.

BobbyT28

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

Sorry to hear that. I use Flickr for photo syncing/backup. 1TB free storage, app is fantastic as well.

BobbyT28

That's an amazing amount of storage mate!! :-)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Google photos with unlimited storage (including videos) is still the best (and most convenient) option out there.

Basil3 wrote: »
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Google photos with unlimited storage (including videos) is still the best (and most convenient) option out there.

Is it free storage ? How much storage do you get?

Is it free storage ? How much storage do you get?

It's free and unlimited. Only downside is that you're restricted to 16MP size images using the free storage, so my 20MP M9 images were downscaled to 16mp (not a big deal). Most phone cameras are under 16mp anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Mourinho

Is the free video storage recent?

16MP images are a decent allowance tbf!

Mourinho wrote: »
    Is the free video storage recent?

16MP images are a decent allowance tbf!

Think the videos have been there a good while. I've accidentally uploaded some of my downloaded TV shows to Google photos a few times :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭moggser

when stuff gets uploaded to G+ or photo's how do you get them back like to download them again

moggser wrote: »
    when stuff gets uploaded to G+ or photo's how do you get them back like to download them again

There's a download option within the photos app, or you can download to PC when viewing on photos.google.com (or whatever the url is)

• Advertisement

just saw that can save image on to desktop cheers
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

Hi lads heading over to the US this week seriously thinking of buying a 6p as have a s6 and the battery and the Samsunging of it is driving me nuts. Is the battery as good as reviews say. What is the overall opinion vs the s6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

sioda wrote: »
    Hi lads heading over to the US this week seriously thinking of buying a 6p as have a s6 and the battery and the Samsunging of it is driving me nuts. Is the battery as good as reviews say. What is the overall opinion vs the s6

You're planning on buying the 6P in the States? Do your research, you might have issues with LTE bands here.

Just can't see the value in upgrading to an s7 from the s6.

I have the lte frequencys printed out to bring with me.

sioda wrote: »
    Just can't see the value in upgrading to an s7 from the s6.

I have the lte frequencys printed out to bring with me.

Personally, if you want a change from Sammy, I'd be going LG G5 or HTC 10.

6P is 6 months old, and uses the snapdragon 810, which IMO was a poor chip. That said, you should be able to pick up the 6P for a cheap price, I'd say.

The HTC10 isn't out yet and, given their track record, I wouldn't be recommending it just yet til we see it for real. I'd also wait a few months before getting a G5. It looks really good but they'll need time before all the phones are manufactured correctly and after the G4 mess we don't even know yet if they're only cutting corners on the exterior or if the new one will have component faults too.

Wait a few months? That's no fun :PAC:

HTC have had the highest quality construction, best UI, and best track record of software updates of any OEM for a good while now. Their only real weak point has been the camera, and the 10 has the same camera as the 6P but with OIS. Pretty confident it will be killer.

I regularly get devices on release, and wouldn't worry about anything like component faults from lg. That's what warranties are for.

• Advertisement

Had a m8 before and will look at it tomorrow once it's launched. But the fact the nexus is 6 months old is slightly off putting but good price will fix that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

I updated to Marshmallow 6 weeks ago on my G4. Never had an issue with the phone beforehand. 2 weeks later it randomly froze and did not work again. It's gone to LG to get fixed but I have already bought a 6P. Loved my G4 but if a major Android update will brick my 3rd party device then I don't see the point in owning one. I've read on Androidcentral (or whatever the main Android website is) that several people had the exact same thing happen so it's not uncommon.

The main reason I bought the Nexus is because they get all the important updates first and there really is nothing better than vanilla Android.

irishmover wrote: »
    The main reason I bought the Nexus is because they get all the important updates first and there really is nothing better than vanilla Android.

I think that is pretty close to being true now. Stock android used to lack so many features, but they've slowly added in features that they've picked up from OEM's over the years. In the last year or two, stock android has become quite nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

The update on the G4 was just timing. They had a manufacturing fault and could have died on lollipop either. I had M on mine for months before it bootlooped.
    LG wouldn't fix mine though as I'm in Ireland.

What's their excuse ? They don't officially ship to Ireland ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭diddly3000

Hey guys
    Planning on buying the 6p next week. Just wondering where everyone bought there's. I'm not willing to pay the 650 on Google play I think it's a ridiculous price.
    I seen it a lot cheaper on eglobal and simplyelectronics but I'm not sure if I trust them. Has anyone any thoughts on anywhere else. Willing to pay around 500 for the 32gb maybe bit more.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

diddly3000 wrote: »
    Hey guys
    Planning on buying the 6p next week. Just wondering where everyone bought there's. I'm not willing to pay the 650 on Google play I think it's a ridiculous price.
    I seen it a lot cheaper on eglobal and simplyelectronics but I'm not sure if I trust them. Has anyone any thoughts on anywhere else. Willing to pay around 500 for the 32gb maybe bit more.
    Thanks

Google Store are giving €150 off the 6p right now, until sometime in May.

corwill wrote: »
    Google Store are giving €150 off the 6p right now, until sometime in May.

It's showing as 650 for me this morning

Look at it closely just checked there 150 off it for sure says it in description

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

You have to add it to the basket and go to checkout for the discount to be applied.

• Advertisement

corwill wrote: »
    You have to add it to the basket and go to checkout for the discount to be applied.

Ah yes I was looking at the from 650 top right. Seen the offer when I scrolled down page. Sweet thanks. Will get the 64gb from store at that price ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

The 6p is a brilliant phone, best one i've ever had, I think Samsung are brutal, longevity is terrible and battery life deteriorates quickly, HTC are a good phone and the build quality is very good but I have say i've had the 6p 4 months now and its quality, jump at the chance now and get that €150 discount

Stacksey wrote: »
    The 6p is a brilliant phone, best one i've ever had, I think Samsung are brutal, longevity is terrible and battery life deteriorates quickly, HTC are a good phone and the build quality is very good but I have say i've had the 6p 4 months now and its quality, jump at the chance now and get that €150 discount

Yes I swapped a s4 for a nexus 5 and have not looked back. I love this phone but battery life can be a bit poor. I will never leave nexus I love the quick updates haha.
    Looking forward to getting 6p after reading good reviews of it, plus would like a nice big screen ☺️

Yes I swapped a s4 for a nexus 5 and have not looked back. I love this phone but battery life can be a bit poor. I will never leave nexus I love the quick updates haha.
    Looking forward to getting 6p after reading good reviews of it, plus would like a nice big screen ☺️

Yeah the screen is a beast and at first you think "jaysus how am i going to cart this thing around" but after a few days you become accustomed to it and you wouldnt even notice it

Stacksey wrote: »
    Yeah the screen is a beast and at first you think "jaysus how am i going to cart this thing around" but after a few days you become accustomed to it and you wouldnt even notice it

Did you get a case for your 6p it's probably even more ridiculous looking in a case haha.

Did you get a case for your 6p it's probably even more ridiculous looking in a case haha.

Look no further than this for the cover: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016CBF3DE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this as for the screen: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B017XKQUTY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭kave2

I have this one, really happy with it.
    51DGdNgOa8L.jpg

Thinking of getting dbrand skin, they have some really nice one's.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭nevelator

Yep, I got the same one for my 6P and am very happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Do those silver chamfered edges on the 6p pick up scratches easily or is it better to go for the black/carbon one (heard the paint on them chips). Anyone ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement