Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 6P

Comments

I've basically been going around to the different phone threads asking the same question: would this be much of an improvement on a OnePlus One? I feel like treating myself to a top smartphone. Certainly the screen on this is a big improvement and the Snapdragon processor but besides that? I think the battery and camera specs are nearly the same.

I had a Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4 before and know all about getting stock Android and early updates. Any other positives please? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Flaccus wrote: »
    Do those silver chamfered edges on the 6p pick up scratches easily or is it better to go for the black/carbon one (heard the paint on them chips). Anyone ?

I've had mine a month with the clear one and it gather alot of dirt/has scratched the paint on mine a bit up around the top. Wouldn't recommend. A rubber one would be much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

I've basically been going around to the different phone threads asking the same question: would this be much of an improvement on a OnePlus One? I feel like treating myself to a top smartphone. Certainly the screen on this is a big improvement and the Snapdragon processor but besides that? I think the battery and camera specs are nearly the same.

I had a Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4 before and know all about getting stock Android and early updates. Any other positives please? Thanks.

Processor is questionable. I think Snapdragon 801 was better all round chip than the 810.

Screen and camera definitely better on 6P.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Do those silver chamfered edges on the 6p pick up scratches easily or is it better to go for the black/carbon one (heard the paint on them chips). Anyone ?

I've just done a tiny bit of research and it appears that the black one does chip.

I don't plan on using a case so I think I'll go with the aluminium one. I can live with scuffs, but it doesn't look like the black one would hold up well at all.

Anyone got any experience?

Evil_g wrote: »
    I've just done a tiny bit of research and it appears that the black one does chip.

I don't plan on using a case so I think I'll go with the aluminium one. I can live with scuffs, but it doesn't look like the black one would hold up well at all.

Anyone got any experience?

See my above post (I've got the aluminium version)

Take the advice of your Spurs buddies! 6P all the way. I've had the OPO and enjoyed it but 6P is a class above. Really is nothing better these days than Android vanilla.

irishmover wrote: »
    See my above post (I've got the aluminium version)

Thanks. I'm not sure what you mean by a clear one / rubber one. Are you talking about cases?

Evil_g wrote: »
    Thanks. I'm not sure what you mean by a clear one / rubber one. Are you talking about cases?

Yeh there was a clear case posted earlier. I think one from Amazon. The one I have I got free with the phone and it looks identical to that. It's scratched the aluminium quite a bit around the top as you would expect plastic cases to do.

• Advertisement

irishmover wrote: »
    Yeh there was a clear case posted earlier. I think one from Amazon. The one I have I got free with the phone and it looks identical to that. It's scratched the aluminium quite a bit around the top as you would expect plastic cases to do.

I don't plan on using a case at all, so was just wondering whether the aluminium holds up better than the black version. The consensus on XDA seems to be that it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭kave2

I game very little on my 6P and never really experienced any overheating issues. The phone is blazing fast and vanilla android looks so much better then TouchWiz. Very happy with 6P.
    One thing though, Galaxy S7/Edge display is unreal, really beautiful. I was really impressed with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

If you drop it with no cover like I did, the silver edges get scuffed yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I had the one plus one for about 18 months and I did love it but I started to get lots of little niggling issues, plus the updates seemed to be not forthcoming so I got the 6p.

Speed there isn't much of a difference, both are very smooth but the pure android, better camera and better screen make the 6p better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Ush1 wrote: »
    If you drop it with no cover like I did, the silver edges get scuffed yeah.

I found on the Note 4 and HTC M9 that even with a cover, the act of taking the cover off would always but micro scratches eventually in the chamfered edges which is why I like the fact that the S7 has a very narrow chamfer and the IP6S has none at all.

In any case I am favouring the carbon version. Just wondering how well the paint holds up as I have seen some pics on Reddit where it chips near the edge of the visor on the rear of the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭diddly3000

Ordering the 6p tomorrow from googl play store . Does anybody know if the couriers deliver Saturday? Or how long it takes. I won't be able to order until 10 o'clock tomorrow night (I get paid then lol) and I just realised it's a bank holiday weekend. I'm impatient and it'll absolutely SUCK having to wait until Tuesday. So looking for any kind of hope haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭1jcdub

diddly3000 wrote: »
    Ordering the 6p tomorrow from googl play store . Does anybody know if the couriers deliver Saturday? Or how long it takes. I won't be able to order until 10 o'clock tomorrow night (I get paid then lol) and I just realised it's a bank holiday weekend. I'm impatient and it'll absolutely SUCK having to wait until Tuesday. So looking for any kind of hope haha.
    Add your reply here.
    I have an Adapted Case (Frost) that was never used and in original packaging. If interested pm me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

has anybody got 4g+ on the 6p on Three?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Hi,

How has everyone's battery been? See attached pics.

Fully charged at 11am yesterday with 2h 19ms SOT. 10% Battery left

Display settings:
    Adaptive screen off. sleep after 30secs ambient display off

Nothing in the pics stand out? What do you think? Is this normal usage?

Thaks
    BobbyT28

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Hi,

How has everyone's battery been? See attached pics.

Fully charged at 11am yesterday with 2h 19ms SOT. 10% Battery left

Display settings:
    Adaptive screen off. sleep after 30secs ambient display off

Nothing in the pics stand out? What do you think? Is this normal usage?

Thaks
    BobbyT28

What the hell is "Agent" using up 15% battery?

If it's an antivirus app or a "tune up program" there really is no need for it on a Nexus device, and it most likely is your issue, as generally the OS handles most of that kind of stuff under the hood on Lollipop...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Agent looks to have plenty of bad reviews due to it's impact on battery performance:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.airwatch.androidagent&hl=en

Fieldog wrote: »
    What the hell is "Agent" using up 15% battery?

If it's an antivirus app or a "tune up program" there really is no need for it on a Nexus device, and it most likely is your issue, as generally the OS handles most of that kind of stuff under the hood on Lollipop...

Corporate email client we have to use in work!

Corporate email client we have to use in work!

Here is my phone after waking this morning. Doze doesn't seem to be working.

Phone was on flat surface

Here is my phone after waking this morning. Doze doesn't seem to be working.

Phone was on flat surface

Another screenshot

Hi,

Anyone any idea why my wifi is using battery when I have it turned off.

I also went into advance in wifi and turned off scanning.

Keep wifi on during sleep (Only when plugged in)

Doze just doesn't seem to be working correctly

Regards,
    BobbyT28

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

U use viber? Check its wifi sleep policy under general settings. U have a wakelock also.

sentient_6 wrote: »
    U use viber? Check its wifi sleep policy under general settings. U have a wakelock also.

Changed it to viber will use use devices settings. Never used a wakelock? does this come with the phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

No a wakelock is an app thats keeping your phone awake even when you aren't using it, its something u don't want happening, see the way u have a second solid bar under wifi? Ideally that should be on and off as u use the phone, start with a reboot to see if it stops.

• Advertisement

Installed battery doctor to see if that makes a diff. Always skeptical about these apps!

Installed battery doctor to see if that makes a diff. Always skeptical about these apps!

How is everyone finding the phone?
    Battery?
    SOT stats?

Be interested in finding out

What launchers are people using? How there home screens re setup?

Regards,
    BobbyT28

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

How is everyone finding the phone?
    Battery?
    SOT stats?

Be interested in finding out

What launchers are people using? How there home screens re setup?

Regards,
    BobbyT28
    I bought this about 2 weeks ago and finding it great tbh. Easily getting over 24 hours from the battery, I'm keeping the look stick pretty much with the Google launcher etc. The only quibble is that the back of the phone has zero grip and I can see myself dropping it at some point if I don't get a case. My last phone was a N5, so the sheer size of it is also taking me a bit of getting used to. I'm actually considering buying an Android Wear device so I don't have to yank the thing from my pocket every time a notification comes in.

However, the external speaker on it is fantastic, especially coming from the barely audible N5 piece of garbage. The phone is very fast and fluid, and having 64gb of space is obviously a godsend. I got mine for 400 second hand...I wouldn't be willing to go full price for one if i'm honest, but second hand it's a no brainer.

Out of curiosity why would you get rid of the edge ? It has a superior battery, better screen, fast doc, more memory, and better camera than the 6P. Is it the pure android experience you are after ?

According to Pocketnow the edge is snappy too and pure android doesn't beat it always.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xb8Zar9R4c

I'd say if there is a new Nexus this year, it will just match the S7 specs rather than beat them.

Patww79 wrote: »

Yeah, that's true about N alright.

Never had an issue with the edge or flat 7 overheating and battery was great. Always got a full day on both phones with moderate usage. Suppose it's a crap shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

150 off for a while decent discount, yeah my battery is continually dissapearing after all these updates.

• Advertisement

JamboMac wrote: »
    150 off for a while decent discount, yeah my battery is continually dissapearing after all these updates.

Just did May update last night. Hoping it sorts out my wake issue and wifi always on issue.

Battery has been such a let (Can't figure out what is eating my battery) so it maybe a rough app but can't see anything

BobbyT28

Why the hell.is Wi-Fi still turned on!?

On nights this week so was asleep from 7am-2pm.

Anyone else have this problem?

BibbyT28

Read on another forum that turning wifi to always on resolves the issue and he presto!! Weird.

Anyway looks like it may have sorted it, will keep an eye on it for the next 24hrs

BobbyT28

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Thinking of getting the 6P, any recommendations on where to get a few cheap USB-C chargers for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

I wouldn't buy cheap charger or cable. They are always poor quality, break easily and will more than likely damage the battery. I think they are 20 to 30e for an original cable & plug

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

simdan wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy cheap charger or cable. They are always poor quality, break easily and will more than likely damage the battery. I think they are 20 to 30e for an original cable & plug
    Sorry, what I meant is is there anywhere to buy the proper chargers for cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Be careful when buying the cables. The cheap ones can ruin your device. Below is a handy link when you're looking for extra:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus6P/comments/3robzo/google_spreadsheet_for_usbc_cables_with_benson/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Belkin ones on amazon might be best bet, think they were approved by the guy from Google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

They don't ruin your phone, they can potentially ruin your PC though by pulling more power than the port can deliver if the PC has no ability to limit the power draw.

The issue is that USB C can pull a lot more power than the original USB A specs. Making up a straight cable without any electronics inside can cause the phone to not be aware of any limitation as attempt to rapid change, over loading the USB A socket it's plugged into.

It's more a legacy issue with badly designed USB A ports and chargers without resettable overcurrent protection.

Most devices will not have any issue or will cut the power. But, a % could be damaged or blow fuses that can't be replaced, wrecking the USB port.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Isn't there going to to be update to the 6p with the newer 820 chipset? Think I read it on gsmarena.

• Advertisement
Advertisement