Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Falling for Autumn

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Billy86 wrote: »
    Irish people just love to complain about weather, full stop. I've had multiple people in my office complain it's too cold when the weather had been in the high/mid teens only to then complain it's too cold when it's in the 10-12 range.

Also, probably because we typically have very little variance, but many of us don't seem to even have a concept of 'dressing for the weather' at all.

complaining about the weather takes far too much energy and achieves nothing.. yaawnnn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

What I hate about this weather is it's too warm for a jumper and too cold for a t-shirt so it's uncomfortable either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Candyshell wrote: »
    August isn't a Summer month in Ireland, the Summer months are May, June and July.

THis is just wrong.

According to Met Eireann it's June, July and August.

February 1st is not Spring either. It's still winter.

Met Eireann Fun Facts about seasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Graces7 wrote: »
    complaining about the weather takes far too much energy and achieves nothing.. yaawnnn
    Though we've been on this rock for thousands of years and it hasn't stopped us yet!

I do generally agree though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

When I was young I used to hate autumn, because I hated school.

Autumn, heralding being back at school. Too hot one minute, too cold the next, stifling uniforms, smelly classrooms, draughty buildings. The promise of the long dark.

If people said that Autumn began in August I'd shout them down, and feel much the same way about that sentiment as I did about the back to friggin school adverts.

Since then I've changed my mind a lot. I really like Autumn, though it simply can't beat summer.

I hate the long, dark nights of Winter, but that's Winter, not the fault of Autumn, and Autumn is no more a promise of Winter than Winter is a promise of Spring.

September and October are beautiful, busy months, full of promise of a different kind.

November is still shít tho.
    murpho999 wrote: »
    This is just wrong.

It's neither right or wrong. The seasons are not a scientific unit. We base our seasonal calendar partly on pagan festivals, which would make that poster right, but different organisations, and countries, do it differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It's the coming of the short days that I hate.

The gloomy mild, wet, mucky weather. Constant greyness, uh.

It really is one of the most depressing places in the world in winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'm in favour of it.

((((HUGS))))

If you get SAD as badly as this, there is help for that? google

PS whatever you do do not go near the North Sea islands.. days are much shorter there and darker.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Graces7 wrote: »
    ((((HUGS))))
    ((((feck off))) :D TBH I don't get "depressed" or any of that guff with winter, it just irritates me. Christmas and New Year at least breaks it up(which is why they came to be placed there). Roll on spring and summer. May would be my fave month in general.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    ((((feck off))) :D TBH I don't get "depressed" or any of that guff with winter, it just irritates me. Christmas and New Year at least breaks it up(which is why they came to be placed there). Roll on spring and summer. May would be my fave month in general.

That is better :D;)

I prefer winter, especially in tourist areas... being snug inside, fire lit, plenty pf knitting etc. Far less of a challenge than summer..peaceful...

even last winter when I had no electricity was better than the extremes we had this summer to me.

Happy to see days getting shorter.... :D

Advertisement