Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Steak Thread SEE OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Cowboy Steaks (Rib eye on the bone) in Lidl until Wednesday for €6.99 http://www.lidl.ie/en/freshoffers.htm?action=showDetail&id=41542

Seems very cheap, usually costs me about €20 for one in the butchers I'd say there's a slight size difference but for €6.99 I'll be grabbing a few.

T-Bones for €9.99 as well.
    Very small steaks I'm afraid. Cowboy steak is save 33% in Supervalu from Thursday and they'll cut to order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Very small steaks I'm afraid. Cowboy steak is save 33% in Supervalu from Thursday and they'll cut to order

Ah jaysus, why did you tell me that, I'm supposed to be on a diet! The last cowboy steak I got was a monster and took me hours to eat it, but eat every bit I did!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,313 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Last one I had was the 22oz in FX Buckleys, wish I could cook it as well at home, that was a few months ago, might chance a 12oz in supervalue on Thursday. My diet is going from bad to worse and I've only 10 weeks to get a beach body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭Pipmae

I'm just seeing this thread now. I was always a buyer of fillet steak until I found the sirloin steak in Gleeson's in Millfield SC Balbriggan. It's fab - very tender and usually on special offer. I don't the exact price per kilo but €7 buys a big steak.:) I buy three between myself the hubbie and two kids and we usually have leftovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Last one I had was the 22oz in FX Buckleys, wish I could cook it as well at home, that was a few months ago, might chance a 12oz in supervalue on Thursday. My diet is going from bad to worse and I've only 10 weeks to get a beach body.

I'm away in 2 weeks and I'm now cooking a cowboy steak on Saturday!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Just buy and eat those goddamn steaks. Just make sure Greenpeace isnt around to haul your ass back to the sea.

For €6.99 they were a bargain and yummy, fill a pan each..

image.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

ALDI have 2 Angus strip or rib eye for €9 from tomorrow for two weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,677 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I've heard that Aldi are doing wagyu steaks for €8, not sure of size but limited to 2 per person

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I've heard that Aldi are doing wagyu steaks for €8, not sure of size but limited to 2 per person

Serious? Not in my local ALDI anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭XrayGolf

vicwatson wrote: »
    Serious? Not in my local ALDI anyway

Yes, they're doing a Father's Day special.

It's across the water for ca £8 http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/worlds-most-expensive-steak-sale-11478220

And on sale in Ireland for €8:
    http://rsvpmagazine.ie/aldi-to-sell-the-worlds-most-expensive-steak-for-only-e8/

steakJPG.jpg

lhjhbB9.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭banchang

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭GoodBridge

That's pretty low-grade wagyu.

marmorierung-2_en.jpg

Looks more like an ok ribeye... but for 8 euro I'm all in!

That is it, it is €8
    Dont expect a Ferrari for Fiat money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭banchang

inforfun wrote: »
    That is it, it is €8
    Dont expect a Ferrari for Fiat money

Isn't that what Bargain Alerts is all about ?

banchang wrote: »
    Isn't that what Bargain Alerts is all about ?

It is a steak thread in BA.

Steaks of this kind are not always/everywhere on sale. So this is more an alert for steak lovers than bargain lovers i suppose.

I've never tried wagyu so for €8 might give it a try. The link above is broken though and I can't see anything on Aldi.ie maybe its UK only?

Must be as asked in ALDI and they looked at me like I had just landed from the outer reaches of the solar system

ah balls, was looking forward to trying it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,852 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

was going to give a trip in to Aldi later, but if it is not on sale there i will leave it off.

Lidl next week Mon 20 to Wed 22 inclusive

€3.00 each

Fresh Irish Rib Eye or Striploin 25 days matured

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

GoodBridge wrote: »
    That's pretty low-grade wagyu.

marmorierung-2_en.jpg

Looks more like an ok ribeye... but for 8 euro I'm all in!

Hi GoodBridge
    I wasn't familiar with wagyu steak so googled it.
    Wiki said that it's desired because of it's intense marbling.
    Please excuse my lack of knowledge but does that screenshot not show intense marbling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

I was going to give it a try
    Looked on Twitter before driving in and it's uk only

Just looks like a Rib Eye, and it's from New Zealand, last time I checked Kobe wasn't anywhere near New Zealand.

You can get 2 x 12oz Wagyu Rib Eyes from James Whelan for 35.38, still nowhere near Kobe but a lot fresher than the Kiwi Steaks. http://www.jameswhelanbutchers.com/proddetail.php?prod=6144

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Cowboy steak in offer in Supervalu tomorrow and a steak sale tomorrow week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

I wouldn't recommend the stuff from James Whelan, doesn't resemble wagyu. I've had kobe in japan and tried american wagyu that was quite similar. I don't like it as much as regular grass or corn fed beef. Its just far too rich so I couldn't eat much of it. Texture is also very soft due to the marbling. Apparently much trickier to cook as well, it should be medium rare in order to allow the fat to melt properly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

No way, I shook hands with a roo, can't be eating anything that'll shake your hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭.red.

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Cowboy steak in offer in Supervalu tomorrow and a steak sale tomorrow week :)

Picked up one of these, very disappointed with it, the meat was lovely but it was cut very poorly. The bone was about twice as thick as the meat meaning if i was to cook it medium like i usually do, the bone was almost still moving it was so raw. I ended up cutting the bone out and giving it to the dog.

Advertisement