Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Steak Thread SEE OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I see both ALDI and LIDL have specials on "flat iron" steaks this week.

ALDI from Thursday 27th April have 25 day matured 300g flat iron steak for €4.
    LIDL running Wednesday - Friday have a Hereford 300g flat iron steak for €3.

Worth a punt? Have never had that cut of steak before, ALDI have a recipe which suggests it's one to braise then casserole\slow cook rather than just fry quickly?

Have had it before, was good and perfectly tender. Fried and then rested for 15 minutes before eating.

I'd say it's worth paying the extra euro in aldi for the aged steaks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭amber2

SuperValu are doing 33% off sirloin now €11.38kg striploin €15.40kg & rib eye €14.06kg from Thursday 27th April to 3rd of May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭yannakis

Have never had that cut of steak before, ALDI have a recipe which suggests it's one to braise then casserole\slow cook rather than just fry quickly?

They are great for salads/sandwiches too, just make sure to cut it against the grain.

I still remember the sandwich I had in Barcelona with 6-10cm long strips of flat iron... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,677 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

3 euro rib eyes and striploins back in Lidl tmw till Sunday. 200 grams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,646 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Muahahaha wrote: »
    3 euro rib eyes and striploins back in Lidl tmw till Sunday. 200 grams

And 2 euro Sirloin Steaks in the ALDI Super 6 starting Thursday 11th...

Sirloin or Ribeye... can I justify the 1 euro extra...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I prefer the sirloins tbh.

Thargor wrote: »
    I prefer the sirloins tbh.

Hmm... I will have to see if I can take advantage of the current offers to line up a comparitive taste test pitching ALDI sirloin v LIDL ribeye!

I think Aldi Bray must have got about 5 packets of each item today, they were cleaned out an hour after opening, I got nothing.

I think Aldi Bray must have got about 5 packets of each item today, they were cleaned out an hour after opening, I got nothing.

I hate when that happens... I managed to get the LIDL Ribeyes but then I was there at 8am so I could pick the best looking pair. Sounds like I might be in for disappointment in ALDI.

Update: Managed to get a pair of Sirloins in ALDI East Wall, there were only about half a dozen left from what was an entire shelf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

Sirloins in tesco 3 euro and thats continuous tasty too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Two 10oz sirloins 'on the stone' INCL FULL bottle of wine. €35 Mon-Thurs. Terenure Inn. Great deal!

*No connection just happy customer.

Hmm... I will have to see if I can take advantage of the current offers to line up a comparitive taste test pitching ALDI sirloin v LIDL ribeye!

These ALDI sirloins were matured 25 days so maybe a notch above a regular sirloin.
    But the ribeye just edges it on texture... between the sirloin & ribeye in terms of flavour there was nothing in it.

But I won't be hesitating next time ALDI have those sirloins at €2 in future.

Those €2 Aldi sirloins are seriously cheap looking this time round, Ive checked the shop 3 days in a row and tbh they look like packaged off-cuts. I cant bring myself to buy one.

Those €2 Aldi sirloins are seriously cheap looking this time round, Ive checked the shop 3 days in a row and tbh they look like packaged off-cuts. I cant bring myself to buy one.

There was a noticeable spread in quality in ALDI Eastwall. More than half of them I wouldn't buy even at €2 a pop... there were some decent looking ones in there but you really wouldn't to throw the first two you picked up in the trolley without examining them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

They be good if you had a mincer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I picked up one on Saturday, and while I did have a look at what was there, it was well worth the €2. More will be had if I can get the decent looking ones.

I always have a good look through the steaks to pick out the ones I want, there's always enough like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

how can u tell if u see a good one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It jumps out at you and shouts "eat me":D

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭tmabr

big fan of the lidl fillet steaks, always buy about 6 when they are on special.

Seen some nice looking dry aged fillets in avoca in dunboyne the weekend. very expensive but might give them a try one day as a treat - 22 euro for 4 small fillets 2-3 oz each id say, very small

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,062 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

had the Aldi sirloins last weekend - not good, very chewy. Sirloin can be hit and miss - these looked fine in the packet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I always have a good look through the steaks to pick out the ones I want, there's always enough like.

You don't happen to shop in Sandyford? They've a female customer who empties the shelf into her trolley before putting rejects back on the shelf. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

some would have different preferences, I look at all meat I am buying, but some more than others. Some would want a long steak, some round, they can vary in thickness, colour. A big one would be fat content and fat distribution, many go for marbled steak more. I could be cooking in a small pan, or planning to cut it up for a stir fry, so I could be picking different looking steaks each time.

Some can vary in weight (but all sold at the same price) and you can eye ball them, in tesco I find chicken breasts with the bone in can vary a large amount, while chicken fillets will not.

I go for pork belly with very even fat if I can, and a thin outer layer, some would prefer a big thick outer layer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

Had the flat iron steak out of Lidl the other week. Never had that cut before but thought they didn't look fatty so I'd give them a go. Went really well on a ciabatta steak sandwich would definitely buy them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭123654789

Dubl07 wrote: »
    You don't happen to shop in Sandyford? They've a female customer who empties the shelf into her trolley before putting rejects back on the shelf. :mad:

Jaysus. Wouldn't ya be tempted to start going through her trolley to pick your own. "Oh sorry didn't realise they were AAAALLLLLLL yours"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It's probably common knowledge on this thread by now, but Aldi's Angus fillets are hard to beat IMO.

I've bought a pack (€11.99 for 2) every week for about the last 4 months and have never once been disappointed.

https://www.aldi.ie/irish-angus-fillet-beef-steaks/p/066152007026000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

loyatemu wrote: »
    had the Aldi sirloins last weekend - not good, very chewy. Sirloin can be hit and miss - these looked fine in the packet.

Agree! Bought a few and all were terrible!

Anybody going to try the Tomahawks in Aldi?

bbgjtfD.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

At that price? No.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    At that price? No.

How much do you expect to pay for 1.2kg of ribeye? that's a 42.5oz steak.

I just wouldn't buy it because the effort of cooking that yoke isn't worth it. It's a small roast, not a steak.

Advertisement