Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Steak Thread SEE OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

You do need to root around for the best packs - I do find the striploin worth upgrading for compared to the sirloin for sure though!

Got mine from the butcher's counter. Occasionally I get the packs, and usually I'm happy with them. Sometimes they're gorgeous, tender and delicious and sometimes not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,648 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The 'picanha' steaks from Dunnes are perfect for steak sandwiches.
    There's three steaks in the pack for €5, in thickness somewhere between minute steak and sirloin steak.
    It's Irish beef but the 'picanha' cut is the brazillian name for the top of the sirloin apparently - yes I googled it :0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picanha

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭blindsider

Got a couple of rump steaks in Aldi over the w/e and I was pleasantly surprised...not bad at all...or maybe the chef was just good :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Supervalu doing fillet steaks at 23.99/kg from I think this Thursday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,670 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Blindsider, rump steak is a very nice cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,677 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Supervalue have those massive Cowboy steaks back on special at the butcher counter- 11.72 a kilo which they say is 33% off. Offer lasts from today to the 26th December.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Supervalue have those massive Cowboy steaks back on special at the butcher counter- 11.72 a kilo which they say is 33% off. Offer lasts from today to the 26th December.

Thanks - that prompted me to check if the Rib Roast on the Bone is in same offer... and it is. Must stock up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,677 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah the rib roast on the bone is also 33% off at 13.39 per kg which is a good price for a premium cut. Spiced beef there too for 7.36 a kg which is even cheaper than the Aldi version I saw for 8.99/kg. Im not normally a fan of Supervalu but their meat sales can be good. Im defintely going to find space for some cowboy steaks, theyll make a welcome change from turkey over Christmas:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭caviardreams

The Tesco West Cork dry aged steak in the cardboard box (ribeye and striploin) is 25% off at the moment so around €26.40 per kg. It's really nice if you pick out a good looking packet and cut lovely and thick.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=301412594

https://www.checkout.ie/tesco-finest-steaks-take-home-taste-quality-awards/60460

Muahahaha wrote: »

The cowboy steak offer has been extended to 2nd January.
    Also includes the rib roast on the bone at €11.72 a kilo.
    https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/search/allaisles?q=cowboy

LIDL have the rib roast on the bone, 1.2 kg for €13 as part of their standard range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭caviardreams

440g pack of 2 sirloin steaks for 3 euro in LIDL 17th Jan for one week as part of the supersavers
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/super-savers.htm?articleId=15473

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

Supervalu have 33% off Fillet Steak at butchers counter if anyone's interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

The meat lovers here might be interested..

https://www.macamorebuffalo.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mac_daddy

€15 charge for shipping 2 10oz rib eyes and 1kg of mince! Might be useful for folks that are able to collect from the premises or if buying in bulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mac_daddy

Willfarman wrote: »

€15 charge for shipping 2 10oz rib eyes and 1kg of mince! Might be useful for folks that are able to collect from the premises or if buying in bulk.

mac_daddy wrote: »

It is worth a visit if you are anyway near.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,545 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Flavour wise, I couldn't distinguish it from beef...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »

Did you buy a some from here mark? What did you think overall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

€14-€16 per KG for goat meat too if you're branching into the more unusual meats for the Irish market (although you have to buy in bulk, minimum order is 5kg).

http://www.goatireland.ie/butcher-shop/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

mac_daddy wrote: »

You can say that again!

• Advertisement

It’s a little refrigerate package so that’s going to bump it up. It is expensive but then if you haven’t the means to drive out there it ain’t a bad to try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Markcheese wrote: »

I'd have to agree with that. I had it about a week before Christmas in Mai Fitz's in Lissarda (main Cork to Kerry road, Cork side of Macroom) and I've often had the burgers at Bantry market.

It is just like tender, tasty beef steak.

I'd recommend it to anyone, fairly sure the stuff I ate came from the young males of the herd that are bred for the cheese you see on the Aldi ad.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

I would find the steak a little lean for my liking and no way as tender as good beef but I’d notice a discernible difference in taste. Particularly in the burgers.

On the steak I’d a 7ounce angus fillet steak from Aldi, 28 days aged in the pack, yesterday.. searched through for a couple of marbled thick cut. 6 minutes on the skillet and you could cut it with a spoon. Recommend.

I would find the steak a little lean for my liking and no way as tender as good beef but I’d notice a discernible difference in taste. Particularly in the burgers.

On the steak I’d a 7ounce angus fillet steak from Aldi, 28 days aged in the pack, yesterday.. searched through for a couple of marbled thick cut. 6 minutes on the skillet and you could cut it with a spoon. Recommend.

It all depends what part of the beast the steak you had is from, there is no way a chuck steak is going to compare in tenderness with a sirloin, a T-Bone or a ribeye.

Compare like with like and the buffalo steak will hold it's own if not even surpass cow for tenderness.

Those 28 day aged steaks from Aldi are beautiful but I don't think it's aged in the pack.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

I doubt it’s hung for very long as it’s from a factory I supply.
    A sirloin steak from the buffalo was tough compared to a good beef steak in my opinion.

A sirloin steak from the buffalo was tough compared to a good beef steak in my opinion.

I don't know why you doubt that, it's a process that takes a month to establish and after that there is a constant daily supply.

I wouldn't expect a huge company like Aldi to engage in fraudulent advertising, they have too little to gain and too much to lose.

How else would it get so tender you could cut it with a spoon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

From what I remember a lot of meat is being wet aged in bigger vacuum packs before being cut into individual steaks and sold on as 21-28 days aged.

wonski wrote: »
    From what I remember a lot of meat is being wet aged in bigger vacuum packs before being cut into individual steaks a

That’s what I meant. It’s not fraudulent when the product is good. I’m not inferring fraud but dry aging is a different league completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

wonski wrote: »
    From what I remember a lot of meat is being wet aged in bigger vacuum packs before being cut into individual steaks and sold on as 21-28 days aged.

Aldi have “28 day aged” and “30 day dry aged” steaks. The dry aged ones are in the gold and black packaging and much more expensive. There is a noticeable difference in beefiness between the two.

Advertisement