Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Steak Thread SEE OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

stimpson wrote: »
    Aldi have “28 day aged” and “30 day dry aged” steaks. The dry aged ones are in the gold and black packaging and much more expensive. There is a noticeable difference in beefiness between the two.

Of course there is.

I am just saying the normal ones are generally aged by sitting in vac pacs for some time before being cut into steak pieces and sold on. Nothing wrong with it. Just general practice.

I have visited one of the two factories that, among the others, supplies Aldi, and they definitely have the aging area where the meat is aged in packs. There were hundreds of carcasses hanging in other areas, but there were also hundreds being processed at the same stage. Huge operation and an eye opener by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

https://www.staffordbutchers.ie/

These lads are the the dogs bollocks. Only kill smallish young angus cattle with good fat cover off their own farm and well hung dry aged. This is where you will get the best steak in these parts at any price but unfortunately the town is a kip!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,530 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Willfarman wrote: »

These lads are the the dogs bollocks. Only kill smallish young angus cattle with good fat cover off their own farm and well hung dry aged. This is where you will get the best steak in these parts at any price but unfortunately the town is a kip!

The town isn’t so bad, I know a guy living there

The internet isn’t for everyone

OmegaGene wrote: »

Ah after you get used to the auld bombed out cars and derelict buildings at least there is a great butchers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Hi. :)
    As much as I give out about the place, it's not so bad.
    Plenty of choice with butchers too and Pettits SuperValu has it's own Sleedagh Farm range of meat too which is excellent.

• Advertisement

Petitts run a good operation in fairness . They are stocking the buffalo meat from Macamore buffalo too incidentally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Petitts run a good operation in fairness . They are stocking the buffalo meat from Macamore buffalo too incidentally.

I was tempted to take a spin up to get some but knowing that it's in Pettits saves me a trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭caviardreams

33% off striploin and fillet in SuperValu until 5th June

33% off striploin and fillet in SuperValu until 5th June
    Bastardized hoors. Who do you think is taking the reduction in livliehood there lads?

I'm sure some grant or other covers it.

• Advertisement

Hopefully. Enjoy the “discounted” steak. We worked hard to have it on the shelf..

Larry Goodman probably has another private jet on order. Musgraves and superValue have are showing massive profits. The primary producer takes the hit. And Leo’s answer to rural Ireland? 50million from the tax take (thanks paye worker) to be distributed to beef farmers so hopefully some of the debts accrued by farmers to merchants coops and banks last year will be relieved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭.red.

Bastardized hoors. Who do you think is taking the reduction in livliehood there lads?

Any chance of a discount on rib eyes next week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Hopefully. Enjoy the “discounted” steak. We worked hard to have it on the shelf..

Larry Goodman probably has another private jet on order. Musgraves and superValue have are showing massive profits. The primary producer takes the hit. And Leo’s answer to rural Ireland? 50million from the tax take (thanks paye worker) to be distributed to beef farmers so hopefully some of the debts accrued by farmers to merchants coops and banks last year will be relieved.

Yet rural Ireland continues to vote for FG in droves and for Goodman's pals FF too, mixed messages there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

.red. wrote: »
    Any chance of a discount on rib eyes next week?

Lidl have 3 for €9 but they’re a bit thin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,528 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

stop with politics and farming talk, this is for bargains only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,648 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

vicwatson wrote: »
    Lidl have 3 for €9 but they’re a bit thin

Thinnest ribeyes I've ever seen, but darn tasty.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Weird for me to look back at this threadas it came up on my subscribed threads.

Went from rare steak to no steak.

Was in James Whelan Butchers today in Avoca and they were frying steaks and it smelled fantatstic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭caviardreams

50% off sirloin in Supervalu - Thurs & Fri only. €8.50 per kg

50% off sirloin in Supervalu - Thurs & Fri only. €8.50 per kg

They are also part of meat super6 in Aldi for 4 euro per pack which works just a little more, but under 9 euro per kilo. This is for two weeks starting tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,313 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Lidl's where it's at this week. Tomahawks starting tomorrow..

Screenshot-20190612-231525.png

• Advertisement

Those tomahawk steaks come in twice a year and they are too small compared to what you get in a restaurant

Well they might be smaller than in restaurants, but you will definitely pay less in Lidl.

Some nice selection and I will definitely visit to see what's on offer :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,677 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Those tomahawk steaks come in twice a year and they are too small compared to what you get in a restaurant

they are but at 900g they would still feed 2-3 people. Plus a tomahawk is €70-€80+ in a restaurant, €18 in Lidl is a great price.

Will be partaking in Lidls cowboy steaks, €7 is a bargain for one of those. Supervalue usually do them on special too at some point during the summer but havent seen it come up yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

What cut of steak is a cowboy steak??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Muahahaha wrote: »
    they are but at 900g they would still feed 2-3 people. Plus a tomahawk is €70-€80+ in a restaurant, €18 in Lidl is a great price.

Will be partaking in Lidls cowboy steaks, €7 is a bargain for one of those. Supervalue usually do them on special too at some point during the summer but havent seen it come up yet.

Of that 900g 50% is made up of the bone. Doesnt seem like good value for money in my eyes, its a cool looking steak though. Youd be better off spending 20euro on a thick cut rib eye from a Super Valu butcher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

What cut of steak is a cowboy steak??

Ribeye. Its referred to as a bone in rib eye usually in steak restaurants.

Muahahaha wrote: »

He tomahawk in Lidl is mostly bone not a hope of feeding 2 people, I was going to a restaurant in cork on a regular basis up until last year where a tomahawk was only €30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

they usually get sold off pretty cheap too, they don't sell as nobody knows what to do with them. The ones I saw had much longer bones that in that leaflet photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

rubadub wrote: »
    they usually get sold off pretty cheap too, they don't sell as nobody knows what to do with them. The ones I saw had much longer bones that in that leaflet photo.

This restaurant. Play the video for how to cut a Tomahawk ;)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.facebook.com/cocottebkk/videos/1845203222167308/&ved=2ahUKEwj3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,677 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

He tomahawk in Lidl is mostly bone not a hope of feeding 2 people, I was going to a restaurant in cork on a regular basis up until last year where a tomahawk was only €30

jaysis €30 is a bargain for that in a restaurant, hard to see how they were making profit selling it at that price. I could drive down to Cork from Dublin and still save money over what restaurants here charge :pac: What restaurant was it?
    rubadub wrote: »

About the only thing you can do with them is put it on the bbq to get a sear and then continue on there or else transfer to an oven. It would be a brave man to cook one of those without using a meat thermometer or at least measuring the thickness of the steak and working out the cooking time from there.

Advertisement