Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Steak Thread SEE OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,530 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Muahahaha wrote: »
    jaysis €30 is a bargain for that in a restaurant, hard to see how they were making profit selling it at that price. I could drive down to Cork from Dublin and still save money over what restaurants here charge :pac: What restaurant was it?

About the only thing you can do with them is put it on the bbq to get a sear and then continue on there or else transfer to an oven. It would be a brave man to cook one of those without using a meat thermometer or at least measuring the thickness of the steak and working out the cooking time from there.

pepperstack bistro in aghada, sadly he stopped the tomohawks as the supplier put the price up and customers wouldnt pay, it is a shame as it was divine

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,334 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Muahahaha wrote: »
    jaysis €30 is a bargain for that in a restaurant, hard to see how they were making profit selling it at that price. I could drive down to Cork from Dublin and still save money over what restaurants here charge :pac: What restaurant was it?

About the only thing you can do with them is put it on the bbq to get a sear and then continue on there or else transfer to an oven. It would be a brave man to cook one of those without using a meat thermometer or at least measuring the thickness of the steak and working out the cooking time from there.

20 mins in the oven at 120
    then 3 mins on highest heat each side on the BBQ to sear wrap in tin foil for 5 mins and boom you will have a really decent med rare steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Evil_g

You guys call this a steak thread and no one has mentioned sous vide yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Evil_g wrote: »

Sure, now the bargain steak thread is complete after you mentioned it :)

New arrival. Think I'll stick around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,334 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

several mentions in thread , but not many kits for sous vide ,that an amateur kitchen would have ,would manage a tomahawk steak

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭show me the money.1

Tell me more???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

several mentions in thread , but not many kits for sous vide ,that an amateur kitchen would have ,would manage a tomahawk steak
    when they were going cheap I was going to just cut off the bone/gimmick and give it to my mates dog (might need to be boiled not sure).

Instead of doing sous vide I cook in an airfryer set to 80C for 30-160mins, though set at 80C it does not reach that. The inside will still be pink. It dries the outside making it ideal for fast searing. You are driving off moisture and concentrating it in the meat, I do not like the fact with sous vide you end up with all this juice/flavour in the bag and a wet steak you have to sear, so resort to patting out more juice.

Tell me more???

Anova Sous Vide on Amazon

This device heats a water bath up to the desired core temperature of the meat. 56 degrees for medium rare.

You vacuum pack your steak and leave it in the bath for a few hours. It cooks the steak from edge to edge to the perfect temperature. You can't overcook it.

When you're ready to eat, sear the outside of the steak in a really hot pan (or barbecue, or oven).

It's life changing.

[edit] And it can manage a tomahawk no problem. All you need is time. I've done a leg of lamb overnight. The Lidl tomahawk would be done in less than four hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭show me the money.1

Anova Sous Vide on Amazon

This device heats a water bath up to the desired core temperature of the meat. 56 degrees for medium rare.

You vacuum pack your steak and leave it in the bath for a few hours. It cooks the steak from edge to edge to the perfect temperature. You can't overcook it.

When you're ready to eat, sear the outside of the steak in a really hot pan (or barbecue, or oven).

It's life changing.

[edit] And it can manage a tomahawk no problem. All you need is time. I've done a leg of lamb overnight. The Lidl tomahawk would be done in less than four hours.

Couldn't be waiting a few hours...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,677 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Had a sous vide cum slow cooker device a few years back. They do result in tasty steaks but tbh the hassle of vacumn packing the meat and the longer cooking times isnt worth it over other methods.

Sous vide is mainly for commercial kitchens who sell a lot of steaks. The idea being that they can leave loads of steaks in the water bath for hours cooked to rare and then just take them out and flash fry them to finish them off whenever the customer orders one. Its really a convenient thing for busy commercial kitchens, its not that convenient at all for the home cook

Couldn't be waiting a few hours...

its just like a slow cooker, you plan ahead, not like you are sitting over it stirring it or anything. It can be done on the cheap to see if you think it is worth it. I only used it a few times and did not bother anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,313 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Only one way to cook it and that's in a pan with salt and pepper and stick in the oven for a bit wrapped in tinfoil...
    I'm going to cheat as I have a barbecue kinda double skillet for the hob that'll take a full tomahawk then putting it in the oven.

Far from suis vidle ye were reared.

Yeah, when it comes to steaks I like to do them quickly and simply.

The only problem with tomahawk is the size, but I doubt you need to fry the bone so with a bit of creativity you can do it on the frying pan and the oven after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Sous vide is for people who cant cook and like slimy food.

Only way to cook a steak is on charcoal bbq at 350C or in a roasting hot pan. Its go to have a crust on outside and rare in the middle, anything else is a waste of the cow!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭b.gud

Shemale wrote: »
    Its go to have a crust on outside and rare in the middle, anything else is a waste of the cow!

You'd achieve this much better using sous vide or if you don't want to waste money on a sous vide, like me, using reverse sear. Reverse sear means you cook it in the oven to your desired temperature and then finish it in a searing hot pan to get a nice crust. The benefit of cooking this way is that you get more of the steak at your desired doneness, ie the outer part of the steak will be crusty with a small well done ring and the rest cooked correctly. Compare this to just cooking on a pan/bbq which will result in the outer parts of the steak being more cooked and graduating slowly towards the correct doneness. Though it should be noted that this only really applies to thicker cuts of beef

Also for anyone who does like steak ignore your non stick pan and invest in a stainless steel or cast iron pan the difference it makes to the crust is huge

Shemale wrote: »
    Sous vide is for people who cant cook and like slimy food.
    Loads of top chefs use it, and if you made it slimy then you or the person who cooked it made a complete balls of it.

I prefer it slowcooked from my airfryer, the fat is rendered the way I like it, this cannot happen with fast cooking methods with thick steaks. This is why some will say you should not order a ribeye rare if cooked using "traditional methods", i.e. fast, as the fat will not have had time to render. Some might not like the fat rendered the way I do of course.

Its ludicrous to say one way is the only way, people like different ways for different reasons. Some might prefer a boiled egg over a fried one, a soft boiled egg or rock hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭tmabr

Just got a tomohawk in lidl mmmmm huge size. Dry aged. Omg can’t wait. About 2-3 inches thick. Any suggestions how to cook?

tmabr wrote: »
    Just got a tomohawk in lidl mmmmm huge size. Dry aged. Omg can’t wait. About 2-3 inches thick. Any suggestions how to cook?

I'm afraid I don't think anyone here has any opinions on how it should be cooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

The sous vide hate is obviously from people who have never had one. The best pulled pork I have ever made has been sous vide. Makes awesome ribs too.

If it’s slimy, then it has been left for too long. You can’t just leave stuff in there forever as the cells will break down. But for a thicker cut like that tomahawk it’s perfect. I’d say 2.5 hours @ 54 degrees, followed by a rear on cast iron, with a blow torch. You’ll have no grey bits / just met-rare all the way through.

**** it - I’m off to Lidl. The wife is a veggie, but the kids might eat a bit...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Jaysus lads there is a food thread for sous viding and steak cooking etc

Were gonna need a bigger boat.

482682.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,677 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

stimpson wrote: »

Lol, its out to the BBQ for you :D

Anyone know what date they are available until?

Until stocks last, I think I grabbed the last 2 a few minutes ago in my local lidl, 2 lonely looking cowboys there had to bring them as well.

stimpson wrote: »

482682.jpg

That's not how you cook them. At least remove tha plastic :)

Joking aside let us know how good they were. Will get one tomorrow. Taste aside they look cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,648 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Only a matter of time before one of those steaks is the murder weapon in Midsomer Murders...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

wonski wrote: »
    That's not how you cook them. At least remove tha plastic :)

Joking aside let us know how good they were. Will get one tomorrow. Taste aside they look cool.

Will be the weekend before I can assemble enough people. I’ve put one in the freezer too.

They are 21 days dry aged so should be good.

Serving suggestion:

You don't need to worry about getting the bone in the pan your just trying to sear the outside of the steak, leave the bone exposed in the oven just wrap the meat bit in tinfoil.

It's like a ghetto sous vide https://www.livestrong.com/article/438072-how-to-cook-a-foil-wrapped-steak-in-the-oven/

You don't need to worry about getting the bone in the pan your just trying to sear the outside of the steak, leave the bone exposed in the oven just wrap the meat bit in tinfoil.

It's like a ghetto sous vide https://www.livestrong.com/article/438072-how-to-cook-a-foil-wrapped-steak-in-the-oven/

I have a cast iron griddle and a blow torch so it’s all good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

b.gud wrote: »
    You'd achieve this much better using sous vide or if you don't want to waste money on a sous vide, like me, using reverse sear. Reverse sear means you cook it in the oven to your desired temperature and then finish it in a searing hot pan to get a nice crust. The benefit of cooking this way is that you get more of the steak at your desired doneness, ie the outer part of the steak will be crusty with a small well done ring and the rest cooked correctly. Compare this to just cooking on a pan/bbq which will result in the outer parts of the steak being more cooked and graduating slowly towards the correct doneness. Though it should be noted that this only really applies to thicker cuts of beef

Also for anyone who does like steak ignore your non stick pan and invest in a stainless steel or cast iron pan the difference it makes to the crust is huge

I mainly cook it on bbq 350 or higher does a great job and the centre is spot on.

Will try reverse sear next time I cook steak inside, cheers

Advertisement