Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Steak Thread SEE OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

rubadub wrote: »
    Its ludicrous to say one way is the only way, people like different ways for different reasons. Some might prefer a boiled egg over a fried one, a soft boiled egg or rock hard.

Yeah its preposterously hilarous to have a firm view on the best way to cook a steak. What I meant to say was the only way to cook a steak is to your own level of done using your own preferred method.

tmabr wrote: »
    Just got a tomohawk in lidl mmmmm huge size. Dry aged. Omg can’t wait. About 2-3 inches thick. Any suggestions how to cook?

I'd tell you but I just got scolded about it :D

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Only a matter of time before one of those steaks is the murder weapon in Midsomer Murders...

Beat someone around the head and eat the evidence, your dog might have to help

stimpson wrote: »
    Were gonna need a bigger boat.

How much are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Shemale wrote: »
    I'd tell you but I just got scolded about it :D
    The "scolding" was nothing do with the cooking method you listed, it's the unnecessary obnoxious shite you spouted.

Still am wondering about this slime you were served up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

rubadub wrote: »
    The "scolding" was nothing do with the cooking method you listed, it's the unnecessary obnoxious shite you spouted.

Still am wondering about this slime you were served up.

Without going completely off topic, the Serious Eats page on sous vide steak (specifically the timing section) shows what happens if you leave it in the bath too long. While timing isn’t critical (an hour over won’t make a big difference) the idea that you can leave steaks in the bath indefinitely is what turns it to slime.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak.html#time

However an 18 hour sous vide works wonders on pulled pork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Only a matter of time before one of those steaks is the murder weapon in Midsomer Murders...

Already been done by Tales of the Unexpected from a short story by Ronald Dahl... ;)

It was lamb in this story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,527 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

for those of you wish to chat about burning your steaks etc, I'd recommend the food forum: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1761
    Those of you that want to discuss the price and bargains, post here.
    Please don't post about cooking techniques here, only price related chat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,313 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Sounds like somebody didn't make it to Lidl in time..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,677 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone see any tomahawks or cowboy steaks in their Lidl today or were they all sold out by Sunday? Didnt get the chance to partake :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Hal1ax

I bought the last one yesterday at the Lidl in Parnell, I was pretty lucky as it was almost 6:30 pm.
    It was 18.99, has anyone tried it yet? Is it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭tmabr

Hal1ax wrote: »
    I bought the last one yesterday at the Lidl in Parnell, I was pretty lucky as it was almost 6:30 pm.
    It was 18.99, has anyone tried it yet? Is it any good?

Had mine on friday all to myself,mmmmmm. Couldnt finish it to be honest, 3 mins either side full blast on the pan. seasoned with sea salt n black pepper.
    about 30 mins in oven.

it was nearly well done - only mistake as i like it medium.

Well worth the money soooo tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Hal1ax

tmabr wrote: »
    Had mine on friday all to myself,mmmmmm. Couldnt finish it to be honest, 3 mins either side full blast on the pan. seasoned with sea salt n black pepper.
    about 30 mins in oven.

it was nearly well done - only mistake as i like it medium.

Well worth the money soooo tasty

That's great, I grabbed it just because I was curious about it, I am thinking about either sous vide or reverse searing.

BTW if anyone is interested at least in Dublin the FX Buckley in Talbot St is doing Picanha at 10.99/kg although I recommend buying it in the Brazilian store in the Moore Street Mall, same price but great quality, if anyone know any other place just let me know, I think it's the best cut if cooked properly.

Had a Picanha steak in Asador a while back and it was delicious, I must check out that Brazilian food store in Moore St mall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,545 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Whats picanha?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Markcheese wrote: »
    Whats picanha?

"Picanha is a cut of beef called sirloin cap in the United States or the rump cap in the United Kingdom" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picanha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,877 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Markcheese wrote: »
    Whats picanha?

A lovely piece of meat with a fatcap that really adds to flavour and tenderness when cooked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,646 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Supervalu have fillet steak 33% off at butcher's counter, now €23.44/kg.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Supervalu have fillet steak 33% off at butcher's counter, now €23.44/kg.

Plus 33% off t-bones, €16.74/kg from today until 26th June

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

Purchased SUPERVALU half price sirloin at the weekend it was like leather it was so tough. Give me Aldi steaks any day and worth to pay a bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,646 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Trish56 wrote: »
    Purchased SUPERVALU half price sirloin at the weekend it was like leather it was so tough. Give me Aldi steaks any day and worth to pay a bit more.

Just curious, is that versus Aldi sirloin? Or a different Aldi steak cut?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭McHonda

Trish56 wrote:
    I had the exact opposite experience last weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

McHonda wrote: »
    I had the exact opposite experience last weekend

Same here. Had a beautiful piece of sirloin last weekend and tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,283 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Had a 9 euro Lidl T-Bone with home made chips, stuffed flat mushroom, mixed diced peppers and peppercorn sauce after a good hard days work.

That extra minute spent choosing the steak in a supermarket makes a world of a difference, it was two excellent steaks.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

Trish56 wrote: »

I actually brought sirloin steaks back to supervalu, about two months ago.
    They were beyond inedible with fat and grissle(sp)

They gave me a refund but dinner was ruined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Had a 9 euro Lidl T-Bone with home made chips, stuffed flat mushroom, mixed diced peppers and peppercorn sauce after a good hard days work.

That extra minute spent choosing the steak in a supermarket makes a world of a difference, it was two excellent steaks.

Lidl T-bone? Is that a special on?

ellejay wrote: »
    They were beyond inedible with fat and grissle(sp)........

Do you not pick out your own and have a peak at it, it's in largely transparent packaging.
    I've had one poor ish steak from surpervalue in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

Augeo wrote: »
    Do you not pick out your own and have a peak at it, it's in largely transparent packaging.
    I've had one poor ish steak from surpervalue in years.

What I saw looked ok.
    It was when you tried to chew it, the chewing was impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

ellejay wrote: »
    What I saw looked ok.
    It was when you tried to chew it, the chewing was impossible.

Hopefully you complained, I have done so in the past and Tesco and SuperValu customer services were great to deal with

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,042 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

have to add to the super value comments.
    i regularity buy meat from them as i find it very good. last week bought rib eyes from the counter and they were savage. also picked up a couple of packs of the half price sirloin. also really tasty.

i'm sure i don't need to remind anyone here that meat especially steaks shouldn't be cooked straight from the fridge as they will hit the heat and contract up, i always have mine out for at least an hour

i also find that the best way to cook them is on the BBQ and make sure there is still at least a bit of red showing or they just dry up. Medium is my preference. My wife used to like them really well done. now she can see the difference although still likes them left on the heat for a little longer than myself

re the Rump Cap. wasn't that what we used to be able to get out in the Keypack Factory? That was really good value tasty stuff.

Advertisement