Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Steak Thread SEE OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

SuperValu offers

https://ibb.co/288svqq

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭gussieg

what is so romantic about steak? all these valentine steak offers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭.red.

gussieg wrote: »

What lady doesn't love a fine bit of Irish beef on valentines day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,545 ✭✭✭Markcheese

gussieg wrote: »

Nothin ...
    The thinking is ... Guy gets her ,chocs ,flowers and maybe bubbles ....
    She gives him steak dinner and a ......

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I had the Lidl 10oz Angus rib eye earlier.
    Flash fried on a dry pan 30 seconds each side and into a hot grill for 03-30 each side, rested for 3 mins. Bit of mash, fried onion and chorizo and some pepper sauce. If I'd have gotten it in a restaurant I'd have been delighted with it.
    Serious steak for €4.99. Highly recommend if its still available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

.red. wrote: »
    Flash fried on a dry pan 30 seconds each side and into a hot grill for 03-30 each side, rested for 3 mins. Bit of mash, fried onion and chorizo and some pepper sauce. If I'd have gotten it in a restaurant I'd have been delighted with it.

Any left ?

The internet isn’t for everyone

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Any left ?

Just the fatty middle bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭marrm

zell12 wrote: »
    Aldi
    C_Valentines-LP-Editorial-B-1_20212801_IE.jpg?o=L1cSlrW9UjAEIyilQ%40l9rjA7Cxsj&V=e7Q8&p=2&w=230&h=380&q=90C_Valentines-LP-Editorial-B-2_20212801_IE.jpg?o=ncAIi1RZw7p67PfwO%40CqCuykBMgj&V=Y5Gd&p=2&w=470&h=380&q=90

Looks like ALDI

Is it current?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭marrm

marrm wrote: »
    Looks like ALDI

Is it current?

Sorry. just looked closely. :confused:

It is ALDI (says so at the top).;)

It's not only until Feb 14. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,708 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

marrm wrote: »

Is it current?

That's gone now. I think.
    For some reason my local Aldi was selling it for €4.99. Got 6 boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Tesco Finest fillet steak vacuum packs are €2 off - so €9.50 for 400g. Valid till the 16th.

If you pick nice packs, it's lovely quality imo. Has improved a lot in recent times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,667 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The Aldi Striplion works out at €11.43/kg
    The Tesco Fillet work out at €23.75/kg

The Striplion is very cheap, and very good value.
    Tend to buy in Lidl so must price both their Angus and Hereford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,042 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Water John wrote: »

Are you trying to compare the prices there?

You can’t compare the price of fillet to the price of Strip

Well aware of not directly comparing the price of different cuts of meat, but ona given day one has to make some rational. Yes fillet without even looking at the price for an occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭caviardreams

In fairness the Tesco Finest Striploin in this offer is 6.49 - 14.30/kg
    The Aldi offer is over now anyway - Tesco is still on until end of tomorrow

< €24/kg is excellent value for fillet without having to go out of your way

I'm a beef farmer, certainly not complaining about the price. Obviously if price was the most important factor on your main meal protein source, white meat would be a fraction of the cost.
    For another comparison, had hake from O'Connells today €17/kg.

A question related to my organic farming, any restaurants or butchers having organic beef on the menu and would there be any demand for such a good product? Would add a couple of euro/kg to the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,313 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Not sure I'd pay extra for organic beef, wouldn't it be the case that all irish beef is organic and it's the farming practices account for the organic certification,
    what I would pay extra for in a supermarket/restraunt is dry aged beef, seems very rare outside top restraunts, you usually see matured for 28 days or something on packets but that's no way comparable to a steak that's maybe dry aged for 30/60 days or longer. I noticed in america butchers have dry aged fridges in a lot of the shops, I haven't seen them here but I think fx buckley's might have them in some of their stores. One in deansgrange http://www.fxbuckleybutchers.ie/deansgrange

It's something you could try with a local butcher, not sure the appetite for it here as some people might prefer bright red wet steaks cheap as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Not sure I'd pay extra for organic beef, wouldn't it be the case that all irish beef is organic and it's the farming practices account for the organic certification,
    what I would pay extra for in a supermarket/restraunt is dry aged beef, seems very rare outside top restraunts, you usually see matured for 28 days or something on packets but that's no way comparable to a steak that's maybe dry aged for 30/60 days or longer. I noticed in america butchers have dry aged fridges in a lot of the shops, I haven't seen them here but I think fx buckley's might have them in some of their stores. One in deansgrange http://www.fxbuckleybutchers.ie/deansgrange

It's something you could try with a local butcher, not sure the appetite for it here as some people might prefer bright red wet steaks cheap as possible.

You really should google what the difference is between organic beef and non organic beef.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,313 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You really should google what the difference is between organic beef and non organic beef.

Isn't most irish beef grass fed? I knows there's a bit more to it than that but it's a lot to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Isn't most irish beef grass fed? I knows there's a bit more to it than that but it's a lot to do with it.

There are very, very tight regulations to be adhered to before your beef can be sold as organic.

Even if your cattle were fed on nothing but fresh grass all year (which practically none are) does not mean they can be classed as organic.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

A lot of it these days is from Feed lots or finished out of a shed, fed large amounts of grain / concentrates for a few months ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

.red. wrote: »

Snap, it was f*#king gorgeous ... Some really good marbling in the meat ...
    That was a 10 out of 10 steak ... ( I over cooked mine a little ,so it was medium ,but tasted great .. )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭MacDanger

We're way off topic here but......

Grass/grain is a different discussion to organic.

To be organic, an animal would need to be:

1. given feed that is organic in origin (e.g. grass with no chemical fertilser used or grain grown organically)
    2. not given much (any?) medicine e.g. antibiotics, preventative treatments. etc. (Not sure of the detail of what's required here tbh but that's the gist of it)

It much more complicated than that but that's roughly correct afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭StonedRaider

I'm a beef farmer, certainly not complaining about the price. Obviously if price was the most important factor on your main meal protein source, white meat would be a fraction of the cost.
    For another comparison, had hake from O'Connells today €17/kg.

A question related to my organic farming, any restaurants or butchers having organic beef on the menu and would there be any demand for such a good product? Would add a couple of euro/kg to the price.

Yes, find yourself a good butcher (ACBI certified) with their own abattoir. That cuts out the middle man. You'll get a better price, butcher gets a better price and customers get a better price. I'm lucky to have one close by.

Not raising a side issue with the Organic debate as the provenance of the meat should be considered. Grass finished beef would only be between June and October, grass topped up with meal. Much of the Irish beef is finished in beef lots for the last 3 months. Fed almost completely on meal, much of it GM and sourced from Argentina and Brazil.
    One of the major retailers insist on beef being under 24 months, so the above is the only way to achieve that. Organic steak would receive little meal, clover in the grass used instead. Animals bedded mostly on straw in the winter. No artificial fertiliser or pesticides used. Any medicine, only used for animal welfare, is strictly regulated.
    Another way of reaching a user base is to provide a online box, containing a range of cuts all the way from fillet to mince.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭tmabr

Just received order from premium butcher online.
    2.5 kg beef brisket- looks nice €25
    2 Angus fillets €15
    2 Angus striploins €11

Free postage over €50 in first order. Prompt next day delivery.
    Hopefully tastes as good as it looks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,944 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

tmabr wrote: »
    Just received order from premium butcher online.
    2.5 kg beef brisket- looks nice €25
    2 Angus fillets €15
    2 Angus striploins €11

Free postage over €50 in first order. Prompt next day delivery.
    Hopefully tastes as good as it looks.

Any pics of the brisket?

T

tmabr wrote: »
    T

Just had the striploin. Yummy

• Advertisement

Are the fillets an striploins 250 grms each?

Just had Lidl 227 grms sirloin. AA 30 day matured €3 each offer. Good value and fine. Just prefer the ribeye

Advertisement