Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden wall

• 29-09-2015 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I'm looking for the possible cost of removing a 6ft high, 25 foot long wall and rebuilding it in cavity blocks (incl foundations) with structural piers etc.

I've been told it will cost approx €2,000 to replace it with fence panels, including concrete fence posts etc but that to rebuild it in blockwork would cost significantly more.

Is that a crazy price? Or is it about right? I have no idea to be honest.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Quadrivium

greycan wrote: »
    I'm looking for the possible cost of removing a 6ft high, 25 foot long wall and rebuilding it in cavity blocks (incl foundations) with structural piers etc.

I've been told it will cost approx €2,000 to replace it with fence panels, including concrete fence posts etc but that to rebuild it in blockwork would cost significantly more.

Is that a crazy price? Or is it about right? I have no idea to be honest.

What's wrong with the foundations already there?

25 feet is 7.62 meters in length, and you want it about 6 foot high.
    That would be roughly 180 blocks with a couple of block piers.
    It's hard to give you a good idea of price without seeing the site, access, possible issues etc. but It certainly wouldn't cost anything close to 2000 euro to replace it with cavity blocks (unless you meant 25 meters as opposed to feet)

I'm a bricklayer/builder so have a fair idea of current rates for block laying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 greycan

We were told the foundations need to be replaced as the wall is over 40 maybe even over 50 years old.

There's access through the neighbours garden too so that isn't an issue.

I was thinking it shouldn't come to that much myself but I wasn't sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Quadrivium

greycan wrote: »
    We were told the foundations need to be replaced as the wall is over 40 maybe even over 50 years old.

There's access through the neighbours garden too so that isn't an issue.

I was thinking it shouldn't come to that much myself but I wasn't sure.

Replacing the foundations would add to costs but I still struggle to see where the quote of €2000 is coming from.

Advertisement