Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best all-round Bill Pay plan - Any downsides to paying in advance?

Options
  • 29-09-2015 11:15pm

Howdy folks,

Have always been pre-pay with my phones. Never liked the idea of a monthly bill (car insurance, etc. all done in one go). For some reason the idea of paying for a bill pay phone in one go (and thus effectively having "free" calls/texts/etc, for a year) never came into my head until the other day.

I wasn't even sure if you could do it, but I rang three (current provider) and they said it was of course do-able.

So I just thought I'd make a quick thread here to ask what ye guys reckon is the best overall bill pay plan out there?

At the moment i'm pre-pay with Three. The plan I have is that if I top up by €20, i get 28 days of free any network texts, free unlimited internet, free anytime Three-to-three (and formerly o2) calls, and free calls to any network/landline at the weekends.

I think this is exceptionally good value. The only problem I have is that the 30c per minute calls leave me unable to phone anyone about half-way through the month. Which is fine, in general, but if I'm trying to do anything business-wise, it's a bit shoddy (I sometimes use a friend's phone as he gets free calls, but I reckon it's time I got my act together a bit).

If I could add free any network/landline calls onto what I currently get, I'd be a happy camper.

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to exist with Three (from what I can see). I presume a 'flexi unit' is a minute of calling someone? (ie; 100 flexi units is 1hr 40mins of phone calls?).

There's a lot of presumed knowledge on this kinda stuff, and I haven't a notion (hence the thread), so was wondering if perhaps ye boardsies had already settled on a 'best overall plan' that perhaps gets recommended on here? (doesn't have to be with Three).

Cheers and apologies for the lengthy post.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

best overall bill pay plan out there?

Bill pay + direct debit = bill shock + headache

Read here, gives a good summary of all prepay deals

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The prepay deal is way better than the billpay deals. Dont bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to exist with Three (from what I can see). I presume a 'flexi unit' is a minute of calling someone? (ie; 100 flexi units is 1hr 40mins of phone

Cheers and apologies for the lengthy post.

Do you really need unlimited texts? Most people dont text so much nowadays with Whatsapp,Fb, Viber etc.

Meteor do unlimited sny-network voice calls with 7.5GB dsta and 400 free texts for €20 top-up PAYG. All Meteor customers get 400 free texts using MyMeteor app (including 100 international) Far superior network also and better roaming deal in all European countries.

I would use 'normal' texting more than I would use whatsapp/viber etc.

My pre-pay deal collapses when I need to make a phone call and I've already used up my credit. 30c per min, on a 20 top up, leaves me with little over an hour of talk time per month. This isn't quite lasting as long as I'd like it to you, and about halfway through the month I'm avoiding having to ring people. It's a bit annoying.

I see Tesco have a €25 offer that includes "1000 minutes, 1000 texts, 15gb data", and as far as I am aware, they piggyback off the three network? (ie; my coverage shouldn't be any better or worse than with Three?).

I was strongly considering taking advantage of that plan..?

Advertisement