Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heart murmur/heart failure in dogs

• 29-09-2015 11:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭

Bruce is an 11 yr old king Charles. He has a grade 4 heart murmur and goes to vets for check up every three months (last check up was 6 weeks ago) He is not on medication because he wasn't showing signs of heart failure. Vet said that I should start him on meds soon as he develops a cough and doesn't want to exercise as that is sure sign of heart failure.

The only time he coughs is when he runs and he doesn't do that too often but the last few nights I've noticed that he seems uncomfortable. He always sleeps on my lap when I'm watching tv but lately he is panting a lot and getting up and walking around and when he eventually falls asleep his breathing seems laboured.

He still goes for walks and eats fine. Just don't know if I'm being over cautious or is this a sign that he needs medication? Not due to go back to vet for 6 weeks and I don't want to be wasting vets time or my money!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

This is a no-brainer op... The meds will almost certainly help him. I would not be at all happy to let that restlessness continue in light of the other symptoms you've observed.

Edited to add: duh, sorry, I see he hasn't developed the other symptoms yet. However, his age, breed and restlessness would still have me bringing him back to the vet. Better safe than sorry... in my experience, heart failure can come on them quicker than you might expect :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭VickieVexed1

OP, please get the little man to the vet asap...just to be on the safe side.
    In June, we lost our little girl to heart failure. I wouldn't wish that pain and loss on my worst enemy.

Best of luck to little Bruce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Yep - definitely a trip to the vets. The meds can make a big difference to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭jimf

as heart murmurs are graded from 1 to 6 4 is quite up the list imho

only last Monday my neighbours dog passed away suddenly beautiful boxer which are prone to murmurs

his was graded as 2 and was checked every 6 months for the last few years he was told the same as yourself re coughing etc

rip rocky a real dote of a rescue dog aged 9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Just to update. Vet said murmur hadn't got worse but with the symptoms she started him on heart meds and other tablets to remove build up of fluid in lungs. Back in two weeks again.
    Little man is costing me a fortune!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

My little rescued terrier only passed away from this last week. She had been diagnosed with it since January.
    You'll be surprised how well your Bruce will respond to the meds though, our little girl used get such a spring in her step again after her increments!
    Unfortunately though as Im sure youre aware theres no cure for it, but the regular check ups and daily meds will keep him as comfortable as can be :)

Advertisement