Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Losing body hair from Pool swimming

• 29-09-2015 11:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've recently taken up swimming, 3-4 times a weeks 30-40 lengths each time..

I seem to be losing body hair on my chest-legs-arms, is this just a coincidence or could the ph balance be high in the pool. It's not complete hair loss but more turned soft and downy to the touch, funny enough it has not affected the hair on my head...

any thoughts ?

Edit: 50 year old male, 3 months swimming.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Maleopause......:) personally I wouldn't mind losing some body hair.....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

mad m wrote: »
    Maleopause......:) personally I wouldn't mind losing some body hair.....:D

Go swimming in b'# d&%$£ gym so, you'll lose all the hair you've ever dreamed of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Free Chlorine levels in the pool very high?

I've had this happen before when working in a learn-to-swim water based teaching role.
    The chlorine in that situation was high in order to deal with the warm water temperature and the high level of coliforms (No 1 No 2 and occasional spew) in the pool with several hundred little kids through the pool every day. That kind of loading is very hard for a water treatment system to keep up with, so the pools are generally loaded with chems to keep up.

The Chlorine bleaches your hair, which loses it's body and colour, gets really fine and brittle and eventually breaks. After a month in that job my legs looked like they had been regularly waxed. Horrific for a 120Kg 6ft 1 guy. I copped a lot of **** from friends for it.

Probably worth querying it with pool management. That is usually the cause.

If pool management need it that way for general public safety, a quick rub of E45 anywhere you really want to keep your hair generally works.

It never seemed to do anything to covered hair though. Short and curlys seem to be a bit immune, although they may have gone a bit blonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Free Chlorine levels in the pool very high?

I've had this happen before when working in a learn-to-swim water based teaching role.
    The chlorine in that situation was high in order to deal with the warm water temperature and the high level of coliforms (No 1 No 2 and occasional spew) in the pool with several hundred little kids through the pool every day. That kind of loading is very hard for a water treatment system to keep up with, so the pools are generally loaded with chems to keep up.

The Chlorine bleaches your hair, which loses it's body and colour, gets really fine and brittle and eventually breaks. After a month in that job my legs looked like they had been regularly waxed. Horrific for a 120Kg 6ft 1 guy. I copped a lot of **** from friends for it.

Probably worth querying it with pool management. That is usually the cause.

If pool management need it that way for general public safety, a quick rub of E45 anywhere you really want to keep your hair generally works.

It never seemed to do anything to covered hair though. Short and curlys seem to be a bit immune, although they may have gone a bit blonder.

Cheers..

I completely get the piss taking thing, @ 104kg and 6'2 my arms and legs look like they've been waxed and shined. The pool is in a well known Gym on the northside with a huge membership so the (extra) chems make sense.

Advertisement