Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appeal of Infraction in Politics Forum

Options
  • 30-09-2015 4:26am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

I would like to appeal a Yellow card given for this post.

I have already followed the flow-chart and have PM'd the mod in question with no satisfactory outcomes.

They infraction was given for Trolling as the Mod in question saw it.

I disagreed with this assessment and when I responded to ask for clarification, that indeed I was not trolling, then I was told that I held a 'prejudiced view of Muslims and these views are not welcome'... End of discussion....

First of all, I made that comment in the context of the discussion of the UK labour party, its courting of Muslims voters and why the Hindu population tended to vote Tory.

Secondly, the issue of Muslims arouse when the discussion moved to discussing Animal Welfare and the Halal slaughter industry. I did not bring this up myself.

Thirdly for added context, there had been a few very public incidents over the past year regarding the Labour party and the Muslim community. I can elaborate over this if you want, and would have if asked in thread to clarify.

Fourthly, the mod in question either mistakenly or deliberately took the post out of context when they referred to it by leaving out the most important word 'some' as in to cast me in a worse light.
    [url][/url]
    'bend to their silly medieval notions'

vs
    'bend to some of their silly medieval notions'

The latter is what I wrote and as you can see, very very different meanings.

Fifthly, another mod seemed to have no issue with this post as he stepped in after my post to ask two other posters to read the charter before continuing on due to some below standard quips where they essentially started talking about the killing of Torries. No cards given (which I agree with by the way, it was good mod behavior to step in and calm the situation rather then go in with two feet). However, are we to take that espousing to 'see if those Tories like bit of cold steel' is better then my own post? Armed violence is better then saying that a group hold some silly beliefs?

Lastly, one has to separate someones beliefs from the actual person. I did not say all Muslims are medieval or all Muslims are this or that. What I said is that 'some of their notions' i.e. beliefs are medieval. A big difference the mod in question fails to see. Beliefs such as Polygamy, arranged marriages, Apostasy, honor killings ,gender segregation , homosexuality. (I would hold the same view if it were Orthodox Jews and gender segregation or devout Catholics and transubstantiation). Not all Muslims hold the beliefs outlined and I never said all of them did.

I present you this post by Scofflaw, Cmod of politics, who said that some ideas put forward by Dr Ali Selim as 'unacceptable medievalism - an attempt to impose the mores of a minority on the majority'
    Is he trolling? Does he hold prejudiced views on Muslims because he thinks some of their notions are medieval? You may say that he made a well reasoned argument, better then mine. Very true but I did ask the mod if they wanted be to edit the post (as not to cause offence) or clarify what I meant in my post i.e. make my case. This olive branch was met with silence and instead I was labeled as prejudiced.

With all this said, can one honestly say that I was a) trolling and b) hold a prejudiced view on Muslims. I take issue with the latter as one has no right of reply to such a vile accusation and would ask for this to be withdrawn.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Yellow upheld.

As an FYI - argue again on thread with a mod as you did here and you'll receive a minimum of an infraction or a ban. That rule is pretty much universal and you're lucky the mod chose to ignore and just delete that comment as many would have immediately actioned it.

Despite your arguments above your comment was a gross generalization to muslims.
    There's a world of difference between your post and some of the posts you refer to. The Dr Ali Selim reference for example is a statement on declared views of an individual that they are on record as having. Arguing around the inclusion of "some" is pure sophistry, and irrespective your comment is discriminatory at least to "some" muslims.

You can either accept the Yellow or request Admin review - your call.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Taltos wrote: »
    Y
    There's a world of difference between your post and some of the posts you refer to. The Dr Ali Selim reference for example is a statement on declared views of an individual that they are on record as having. Arguing around the inclusion of "some" is pure sophistry, and irrespective your comment is discriminatory at least to "some" muslims.

Just an Individual?

This is the same Dr Ali Selim, who is attached to the Islamic Cultural Center in Clonskeigh and purports to represent the views of some Irish Muslims through the Irish media. The Irish Times deem him to be a spokesman for the Irish Muslim community on a range of matters, so obviously his views do carry some support and authority among the Muslim Community in Ireland where he also appeared numerous times on RTE programs like Prime Time as a spokesman for some of the Irish Muslim community.

To say that his views is just his own view of one individual and not of the Islamic Cultural Centre he represents is like saying when David Quinn of the Iona Institute makes a public statement regarding Gay Marriage or writes an opinion piece for the media, he is purely talking at a private level, not for the Iona institute or its stakeholders.

If one cannot see this self evident premise and logic then I have no option but ask an admin to have a look at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

No amount of pinhead dancing changes the intent here, so the decision is upheld.

Considering you are teetering on the edge of having your access revoked entirely, I'd carefully consider your future contributions

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement