Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Option Now

• 30-09-2015 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I had an aprilla SR 50. The exhaust had to be replaced on it, but I was told it would need a new cylinder head to attach the exhaust on as there was no material left to thread for new bolts. This was about two years ago.
    The garage recommended scrapping it as the cost of the parts and labour where more than the scooter was worth. They said they would only charge me a fee to scrape it and that I would get the cert for disposal in the post in a couple of weeks.
    The cert never arrived but I didn't think anyhting of it till the scooter passed me in traffic a couple of weeks ago. The scooter comes up on the road tax website saying that it changed hands a month ago.
    Do I have any comeback now?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Jockstein wrote: »
    I had an aprilla SR 50. The exhaust had to be replaced on it, but I was told it would need a new cylinder head to attach the exhaust on as there was no material left to thread for new bolts. This was about two years ago.
    The garage recommended scrapping it as the cost of the parts and labour where more than the scooter was worth. They said they would only charge me a fee to scrape it and that I would get the cert for disposal in the post in a couple of weeks.
    The cert never arrived but I didn't think anyhting of it till the scooter passed me in traffic a couple of weeks ago. The scooter comes up on the road tax website saying that it changed hands a month ago.
    Do I have any comeback now?

Do you have any sort of documentation to prove the scooter was handed over ? Wheres the log book ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Jockstein

They asked for it at the time saying the recycling centre would need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

did you get a certificate of destruction?

Did you get any document from the garage?

No, they told me the certificate of destruction would come in the post. I thought they would be honest about it and never really followed it up.

They have pretty much robbed me, haven't they? And I have no real comeback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

They have pretty much robbed me, haven't they? And I have no real comeback.

It seems that way. I'm assuming you signed the taxbook before handing it over to the garage? Do you have any sort of correspondence with them? The old quotation for the exhaust? Emails?

I was dealing with them face to face and over the phone. There wouldn't have been any emails with quotes from them.
    They just gave me a rough price on a cylinder head and how much labour would be and the price of a new exhaust also.
    They were saying that after spending all this money to get it going, more parts would start to go in it and it was starting to cost more than it was worth.
    I had 40,000 km put on the engine at this stage and they were saying they only last till about 50,000 km at best.
    I did have a friend with me at the hand over but that would all be hear say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Also, scrapping a vehicle usually doesn't cost anything - the opposite in fact, breakers will sometimes pay you. Sorry mate, looks like you've been had :-(

They were claiming at the time that I owed them labour. I was paying them to bring it over as the scooter had no exhaust on it. So I couldn't drive it anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Name & shame!

Fucking thieves shouldn't get away with this con without some comeback IMHO

• Advertisement

I was talking to them today and they said I shouldn't get a cert of destruction at all.
    The change of owner I seen recently was down to it being moved to a different garage. They claim they sent the log book to the tax office to say it was off the road.

dropbox.com/s/catzpoolfjx3efu/Vehicle%20Status%20Enquiry.png?dl=0

This is a screen shot of the report from the motor tax office today.

I was talking to them today and they said I shouldn't get a cert of destruction at all.
    The change of owner I seen recently was down to it being moved to a different garage. They claim they sent the log book to the tax office to say it was off the road.

Complete bollocks. You get a cert, and you can then apply for a refund of the tax you've overpaid (I know it's only 88 quid minus how long it was taxed and on the road, but still).

Tell them you're going to call the guards and report it nicked. They didn't buy it off you and you wanted it scrapped.

I think I will have to drop in and see them.
    They still have my details on there computer system.
    Would I be entitled to what details they have about me under freedom of information too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It is feasible though that it lay around in their garage or yard for a year or two, until somebody decided to resuscitate it as part of a pet project, using scrap parts. Certainly a bit cheeky to ask you for a scrappage fee as it wasn't scrapped though. Did you pay the scrappage fee? How much did you owe them for labour? What was the going rate for a similar high mileage moped when you handed it over?

I'm not siding with them, just being a devil's advocate. Went through something similar myself, when I handed over the keys to an old Alfa Romeo for scrappage (though there was a scrappage value, which cancelled out labour costs), only to later get a parking ticket in the post for the aforementioned car.

I think they were offering 250 if I traded it in against a new machine.
    I don't remeber what labour was then. I think they charged me more than €100 for the labour the time before when the exhaust burned out. They said it would be cheaper if I could supply a new exhaust from elsewhere and they would fit it.
    It also needed a new cylinder head which they claimed were a couple of 100 euro.

Yes. You're also probably entitled to the fair value of the bike, since they essentially nicked it off you by saying they were scrapping it and then selling it on as a bike, and not scrap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

You were robbed, I would contact the local Gardai

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Yes. You're also probably entitled to the fair value of the bike, since they essentially nicked it off you by saying they were scrapping it and then selling it on as a bike, and not scrap.

I feel I was robbed too. They were the ones who talked me out of getting the work done by saying other things would brake on it too. If I had thought it would have lasted 2 years I would have got it fixed and kept using it. Thanks for your help with this.

Advertisement