Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5 stray cats living in back garden

• 30-09-2015 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I'm looking for advice as to how we can deal with 5 feral/stray cats which have moved in to our back garden, under our shed, over the past 6 months. At least 3 of them are only a few months old. Would the ISPCA or any other local shelter be able to take them in ? We're living in Galway in a housing estate.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

There is a trap neuter release facebook page that might lead you to someone would might be able to help. There is a link to it on this page. http://feralcatsireland.org/Feral_Cats/Feral_Cat_News.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

There is a trap neuter release facebook page that might lead you to someone would might be able to help. There is a link to it on this page. http://feralcatsireland.org/Feral_Cats/Feral_Cat_News.html

Why would people release even neutered cats back into the wild?! All they'll do is destroy wildlife.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Okay folks. That is to be the first and last mention of cats vs wildlife in this thread. I'm sorry to have to invoke such a restriction, but for the sake of the OP getting the help they need, and in light of the train wrecks these threads usually turn into, I think it's necessary to do so.
    This thread must stay on topic. Helpful posts for the OP only please.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

OP, Trap, neuter, release is the usual method of dealing with stray cats but I have heard that if you don't want them in your garden there are cat rescues which rehome ferals to farms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

kylith wrote: »
    OP, Trap, neuter, release is the usual method of dealing with stray cats but I have heard that if you don't want them in your garden there are cat rescues which rehome ferals to farms.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't most areas, particularly urban, have fairly stable feline territories? If you remove ferals, either new ferals will move in or domestic pets will expand their domains. I thought that was the main point of TNR. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Hi, I'm looking for advice as to how we can deal with 5 feral/stray cats which have moved in to our back garden, under our shed, over the past 6 months. At least 3 of them are only a few months old. Would the ISPCA or any other local shelter be able to take them in ? We're living in Galway in a housing estate.

Contact <snip>. They have a facebook page. AFAIK we are not allowed to post links to rescues, but you can google them.

Mod note: I'm afraid you're not allowed discuss individual rescues on thread at all, but you can do so by pm ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but don't most areas, particularly urban, have fairly stable feline territories? If you remove ferals, either new ferals will move in or domestic pets will expand their domains. I thought that was the main point of TNR. :confused:

The OP has said that these 5 cats have moved into their garden, so it's not an established territory, plus they don't seem to want the cats there, so TNR wouldn't seem to fit the bill here. Trapping the cats and rehoming to a more suitable environment, such as a farm in need of rodent control, would seem to be more appropriate.

Of course the OP can look into fencing, motion-activated sprinkler systems, introducing a dog* into their garden, or a large catapult** as alternatives, or to discourage other cats in future.

*I do not condone getting a dog just to deter cats. A dog is a family member, for life, and to be treated as such; not as something to be kept in the garden to deter trespassers of any species.

**I'm joking, I'm joking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Trap neuter release is a ridiculous policy. All these cats will do is end up being a nuisance to someone else and ultimately end up as road kill. Do them and everyone a favour and bring them to a rescue, or have them put down.

Releasing them to fend for themselves, they will only end up diseased, malnourished and miserable.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Oppenheimer.
    I'm going to try this one more time before I have to issue cards and close the millionth closed cat thread.
    Please read the following line very carefully.
    Constructive suggestions for the OP only.
    I have already explained this. This thread is not, repeat NOT to turn into a debate/argument about cats vs the world.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks.
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 3 notapalindrome

Rang <snip> twice this week but couldn't get through. I will try to contact <snip>. Probably would have contacted them first only they have no phone number on their site, so will have to email I assume. Thanks for the pm's and advice.

Mod note: as per forum charter, please don't name rescues in this forum.

• Advertisement
Advertisement