Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calving camera

Options
  • 30-09-2015 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭

I need a setup asap in the North Wexford/South Wicklow area.

My issues are
    1. I need it transmitting to the fathers house to be viewed on a samsung LED TV. He has a line of sight to the shed of about 30 metres but a cable is not doable across a concrete yard. He will not be able to view on phones/tablets/pc. There is no broadband connection at the shed or parents house.

2. My house is about 4-500m from the shed with a tenuous line of sight. I can get one from the top of the shed. I need to be able to view the camera as well. I have wireless broadband at my house and if I could view the camera on smartphone that would do me fine.

4. DIY is not an option due to time and knowledge constraints.

3. I want night vision so I don't need to leave flourescent lights on all night. I need the camera to cover a 15m x 10m shed.

Is it possible to extend my wifi network from the house across the 500ish metres to power a system or will I need to get broadband in at the yard? If so are there any companies that would do a discount rate for the two connections?

Lastly, the key question, how much will I have to spend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Hi,

If you are using the cameras for a few weeks, you could get a 3/4 g router and use mobile broadband (top up). three network is the one i have used. This would allow you set the cameras up over the internet and view them. Install an ip camera and hook them back to the router, open a few ports and away you go. There is few free apps on android to view the cameras. I have used Hikvision and find them good.

30 meters is not alot for your father so you may be able to run a cable to his house. You could also use powerline adapters if the shed and house are on the one electric board. You may be able to pick up the wifi from the shed at you fathers house by connecting an access point close to his house. Its hard to say without seeing the property

3/4 Router
    http://www.tplink.com/ie/products/details/?categoryid=218&model=TL-MR3420

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭Grueller

I got this issue sorted out after. I am bouncing my broadband from my house to the shed 500ish metres line of sight. For all mounting brackets, antennae, installation and router is setting me back €300. The price on the camera system is not in yet but the wireless link will be done next week allowing me to power both the house and the camera for one monthly fee. Does this sound expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Grueller wrote: »
    I got this issue sorted out after. I am bouncing my broadband from my house to the shed 500ish metres line of sight. For all mounting brackets, antennae, installation and router is setting me back €300. The price on the camera system is not in yet but the wireless link will be done next week allowing me to power both the house and the camera for one monthly fee. Does this sound expensive?

I would think all the hardware would come to around 150 so, 150 for installation. That's not bad tbh. The expensive bit is the cameras. You can get POE cameras so the one cable connects and powers the cameras, need a POE switch (about 40 euro will power 4 cameras). This is very handy as you don't need to be running power to the cameras. I have used Hikvision and have them in about 1.5 years. Picture is great.

http://www.hikvision.com/es/products_show.asp?id=7326

Advertisement