Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sowing grass seed

Options
  • 30-09-2015 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Over the last few months I've got my top soil levelled over the lawn and have just finished raking the stones out of it. I think I'm ready to sow grass seed and have a lend of a roller and a seed spreader.

I've been told that I have to spread the seed then give it a gentle rake to lightly bury the seed.

Should I roll the soil before I spread the seed? If I have to rake after spreading the seed will this not pull up the stones that have been rolled in? Is it ok to roll the seed, will be roller not damage the seed?

There is no rain on the horizon until the weekend is this an issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Don't roll the soil before, do it after. Yes, you may rake out stones, but that's a good thing. Take 'em out. It's okay to roll the seed, it ensures contact with the soil. People often shuffle along with their feet when they don't have access to a roller.

there is no rain on the horizon, but when it DOES rain, germination will follow.You could water it, but I'm not a fan of using potable water to grow grass, in October, in Ireland. Let the rain do it.

There's loads of videos on youtube about it. Here's one. I haven't watched it all, but they'd all mostly be the same...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTlhEgUeUK4

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭amallon

Thanks Tampopo. I'm going to get in done today.

Advertisement