Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Alarm

Options
  • 30-09-2015 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭

We have an old alarm in our house, not working for the past few years and not suitable to upgrade (CP in hot press, exposed wiring....) So we need a new alarm system, but have no idea of what to get or how much to pay.

Could I ask for some help if I outline what I think are our requirements?

4 bed semi-d house.
    Access Points:
    Front Downstairs: 1 large window opening, 2 doors, 2 small top windows in garage extension.
    Back Downstairs: 1 door with an opening window in it, 2 kitchen windows, 1 pair of French doors.
    Front Upstairs (accessible) 3 opening bedroom windows (2 of these in 1 window, large and small on top).
    Upstairs Side: (accessible) small opening landing window, small opening bathroom window.
    Upstairs back: (not accessible without ladder) 4 opening windows (2 windows with 2 openings in each, large and top small one).

We would like monitoring, SMS and possibly other stuff we know nothing about at the moment!

I would love to get some idea of what we should expect to pay and what systems people would recommend.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

By exposed wiring do you mean it's surface as opposed to prewired?
    The coverage you should be looking for is all ground floor and accessible points of entry covered with inertia shock sensors and contacts. And 2 internal PiRs in the hall and landing.
    Get out a few psa licenced installers to do a full survey and do you out a system design proposal.
    Compare like with like and don't be afraid to ask lots of questions to make sure everything is covered.
    If you are looking at apps and self monitoring I would recommend looking at Siemens, Risco and GSD. These give you free apps with free notifications and free remote access and notify you when the panel loses connection etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

Thanks for the tips, appreciated. the house is an old house which wasn't pre-wired so there is exposed surface wiring to all contacts.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Yeah, I'd look at wireless or hybrid to give a good clean install.

Advertisement