Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underachievers Please Try Harder

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Monday

40 mins easy spin.

Tuesday

40 min aerobic bike test. 10 mins at specific hear rates - low and high end of z3. 295w @ 157bpm, 320w @ 164bpm. Big improvements from last block. Delighted.

That's a 13% improvement in both figures since January. Might give some consideration to doing the Tour this year instead if that keeps up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭joey100

What was your FTP at your peak last year RJM?

joey100 wrote: »
    What was your FTP at your peak last year RJM?

Using different protocols this year, so not directly comparable. Based on 20min *0.95 FTP last year was 340w (well, 339).

The numbers from last night would be fairly well in line with 'fit' numbers from last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

That's a new test protocol on me. What's the full test? What's the logic behind it and how do you determine zones from it? Is it to derive HR or Power zones? Sorry for all the questions but genuinely curious.

With heart rate lag, etc, is it hard to hit the zones in the early part of each 10 minute block?

Serious gains being had. Fair play :cool:

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    That's a new test protocol on me. What's the full test? What's the logic behind it and how do you determine zones from it? Is it to derive HR or Power zones? Sorry for all the questions but genuinely curious.

With heart rate lag, etc, is it hard to hit the zones in the early part of each 10 minute block?

Serious gains being had. Fair play :cool:

Yeah, it’s new to me also. I think the logic is that in training for IM distance races, your FTP is rarely the most important number – aerobic fitness and endurance are the limiters for most people, certainly on the bike – obviously strength and body composition becomes more relevant on the run and technique in swimming (and obviously that’s not an exhaustive list!). In addition, we all know that the multiplier you use for that 20 minute test can go a long way towards either inflating your ego at best, or having you walking the run in a longer race. I should note that the 340 figure I used above is not something that I truly believe at any stage I would have been capable of holding for an hour. I know that my 20 minute power max was 357w, and my 2 hour power max was ~300w – the likelihood is that in a true, properly paced 1hr maximal test I would have fallen in or around the 330 mark. As such, I’m not viewing these tests as anything other than a crude means to track whether I’m getting fitter or not. So long as the numbers keep going in the right direction, I have all the encouragement I need. I also expect that my race power for the IM will be based on some fairly long rides either fully or partially at race intensity. The best indication of what I can hold over 5 hours is probably a 5 hour bike with some sort of a run afterwards.

One benefit of these tests though is that they’re very repeatable. The results of a 20 minute test are in my experience very much dependent on my frame of mind and motivation. I could do two 20 minute tests at exactly the same fitness and have two completely different results solely based on how hard I was able to hurt myself that night. The truth in relation to any race where you ‘gave it your all’ is that it’s really a bit subjective – physically, your body could always have gone just a little faster – it’s your mind that stops you.

We have been working off HR for zones, and I did a 20 minute test (both run and bike) in the first week of the year to check my zones, and I know the coach also looked at the HR files for the recent duathlon to back up those tests. My current FTP value on TP was set using the 20 minute test. I’m not sure, but I expect that my FTP number on TP will need to be adjusted – whether that means another 20 minute test, or something else I don’t know.

HR lag is something I was a bit concerned about the first time round alright, and I do think it has the potential to inflate especially the first number. I did question the coach a little about it at the time. I plan on increasing my own understanding of this protocol, and will probably quiz the coach next time I’m speaking to him face to face.

What you’ll probably get from the above also is that part of the benefit for me of having a coach is that the research and understanding of exactly everything I’m doing is somewhat optional. The only thing I have to absolutely do is understand what is expected in the session and understand how I’m going to fit the session into my day. Obviously, I enjoy some of the science behind things, and I do like to understand the reasons for certain sessions, but I also sometimes don’t even question why I’m doing the session until someone on here asks me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Thanks for the very detailed response. Much appreciated and food for thought. :cool:

Avg temp 20 degrees last time, 19 this time.

Wednesday

Swim - 30 mins - 1,500m nothing fancy.

Run - 40 mins similar to last night's bike test 10mins @ 161bpm, 10 @ 170bpm. 4:23/km @ 161; 4:00/km @ 170.

First figure is very similar (1 sec faster) than Jan, while 2nd is 11sec/km faster.

Thursday

Bike - 60 minutes w/ 8*1minute intervals.
    Run 20 mins easy off the bike

Friday
    Swim TT 400m 5:57, 200m 2:52. Much more in line with what I'd expect from myself - a little off PB times, but progress us being made!2k done in total.

Gym - barbell stuff.

Saturday
    Run 1hr negative split.

Sunday
    Bike 2hrs easy
    Run 20 mins easy off the bike
    Swim 35mins 2k with some fast 50s as main set.

• Advertisement

Monday
    S&C - 45 mins - mixed bag
    Bike - 75mins - easy spinning

Tuesday
    Swim - 3.2k - 1hr - pads, band, buoy work - times drifted on 100's not overly happy
    Bike - 1hr 25 - 1 minute intervals - tough session

Wednesday
    Run - 1hr - progressive moderate effort - hard to know how this went - horrible headwinds in places had an effect on pace.
    Swim - 1.5k - 30 mins - easy.

Thursday
    Swim - 3.1k (100m short) - 5 x 300 main set. Frustrating swim with ~ 2:30/100m swimmers taking up the fast lane and not allowing themselves be passed.
    Bike - 1hr 25 - BG session.
    Run - 20 mins easy off the bike.

Friday
    Swim - 3.1k (100m extra to make up for yesterday!) - 15 x 100m off 1.45 coming in 1.31/32. Good swim -swimming strong and getting close to old times.
    Run - 40 mins - some short sprint-y stuff.
    S&C - 50mins - lunges, bodyweight stuff.

Saturday
    Long run - 1hr 40 - with 2.5kg pack. Steady.

Sunday
    Long bike - TT bike - 4hrs 30 - with 90 mins worth of intervals @ ~280 - 300w. Very happy with this overall. ~220w avg / 240w NP and 150km done.
    Run - 30 mins - easy off the bike.

Good week overall. Today was a good confidence builder, especially with how i felt running off the bike. Swim is slowly but surely getting where I want it, and body seems to be coping well with the training.

Totals
    Swim 3hrs 12
    Bike 8hrs 34
    Run 4hrs 10
    S&C 1hr 35
    Total 17hrs 30

Monday

Swim – 75 mins – 4k – longer intervals negative split.

Bike – 75 mins – easy spinning

Tuesday

Swim – 1hr – 3.6k – aerobic stuff

Run – 45 mins – easy / jogging

Bike – 2hrs – 3 x 20 mins sweet spot

Wednesday

Run – 75 mins – 12 x 800m intervals

S&C – 45 mins – bodyweight stuff, lunges

Thursday

Run – 1hr – short, fast, horrible intervals

Bike – 75 mins – standing hill climb reps (on the turbo)

Run – 20 mins off the bike

Friday

Swim – 1hr - 3.6k – Pads, band, buoy work

S&C – 45mins – weights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

3.6k in an hour with the band and buoy bodes well RJM.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    3.6k in an hour with the band and buoy bodes well RJM.

I guess it does. To be honest, I don't see a bit difference between my pull and swim times in general. My kick doesn't seem to do much more than keep my body position in check.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

RJM85 wrote: »
    I guess it does. To be honest, I don't see a bit difference between my pull and swim times in general. My kick doesn't seem to do much more than keep my body position in check.

I wish I had that problem. For triathletes, that's all your kick needs to do. As long as you don't have to kick too hard to maintain balance, then you're doing fine in my opinion. My kick slows me down.

zico10 wrote: »
    I wish I had that problem. For triathletes, that's all your kick needs to do. As long as you don't have to kick too hard to maintain balance, then you're doing fine in my opinion. My kick slows me down.

That's my understanding alright. The only time you'll hear me complaining about my kick is during kick sets.

Saturday

Long run - 2hrs 10. Steady / easy - 4:45 pace, 27.5k total. Decent run and longest I've done in a long while. Legs will need to get used to the pounding over the longer distances and I'll need to get my head around hydration in particular. Looking forward to seeing these runs progress over time.

Sunday
    Long bike - 4hrs 30. Long run too late the night before and saw every hour on the clock overnight due to an uncooperative toddler. Best I can say about this is that I did the allocated time.

Run - supposed to be 30 mins easy off the bike but had to postpone to just before bed. Done as a really easy jog / walk. Not sure how much physiological benefit it would have had (if any) but at the least it allowed me 30 minutes peace and quiet in a busy day.

Totals
    Swim: 3hrs 15
    Bike: 8hrs 55
    Run:6hrs
    S&C: 1hr 30
    Total: 19hrs 40

If not for the bad bike on Sunday I'd be saying it was a good week, but I knew there'd be weeks like this with a toddler in the house (and another on the way). Had to take a day's annual leave to take himself to the doctors this morning. Will need to manage everything well this week - there's a lot of spinning plates at the minute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Will need to manage everything well this week - there's a lot of spinning plates at the minute!

Do you think these training hours are sustainable with a busy job and young kid in the house?

Do you think these training hours are sustainable with a busy job and young kid in the house?

At the minute, yes - 90% of the time it's fine, I get things done when I'm not missed and the only hassle can sometimes be the long ride on sunday if the morning doesn't go like clockwork (which obviously doesn't always happen). There will always be some reason why getting out the door is difficult or less than ideal, but on average it's manageable. I have the motivation and we've found a schedule home wise that allows me to get the training done yet still be around a lot and keep everyone happy.

That said, the sustainability of it will be dependent on baby number 2. All I can do is go with the flow. Priorities are family, job and tri in that order so if something has to be compromised then so be it.

At the minute, yes - 90% of the time it's fine, I get things done when I'm not missed and the only hassle can sometimes be the long ride on sunday if the morning doesn't go like clockwork (which obviously doesn't always happen). There will always be some reason why getting out the door is difficult or less than ideal, but on average it's manageable. I have the motivation and we've found a schedule home wise that allows me to get the training done yet still be around a lot and keep everyone happy.

That said, the sustainability of it will be dependent on baby number 2. All I can do is go with the flow. Priorities are family, job and tri in that order so if something has to be compromised then so be it.

That's kind of a long way of saying 'I don't know' to be honest. If it is manageable then I'll continue getting the training done and if it isn't something Will have to change and if so, whatever change will be made in line with the priorities I listed above.

• Advertisement

Monday
    Bike - 75 mins - easy spinning
    Swim - 75 mins - 4.4k steady swimming

Tuesday
    Run - 45 mins - recovery jog
    Bike - 85 mins (2hrs planned) threshold intervals. This was interrupted a couple of times as Connor isn't well. Ended up bailing at 11:30 and heading to bed. Not ideal, but unavoidable.

Wednesday
    Swim - 70 mins - 4.2k - pads, band buoy
    Bike - 75mins VO2 intervals
    Run - 30 mins off the bike

Thursday
    Swim - 70 mins - 4.2k - 200m intervals.

Friday
    Run - 80 mins - progressive run finishing with 3k @ 4min /km pace.happy with this.
    S&C - 45 mins - lunges and bodyweight stuff
    (Easy 10 mins running to and from the gym also)
    Run - 55mins - treadmill session with constant speed and varying gradients. Sweat fest!

Saturday
    Long run - 2hrs 20 with weighted pack - good run got hydration and nutrition better than last one - happy with this.

Sunday
    Unplanned day off - while we thought Connor was on the mend by Saturday evening he woke this morning with severe stomach pain and vomiting. Spent the morning with the doctor on call and then taking care of him - it appears to be a short lived vomiting bug which some of the kids in the neighbourhood have had already, but any plans anyone had for the day went out the window. Again - not exactly ideal from a training perspective but it's good to remind oneself of that list I set out above and the order it's in. I had thought I'd get some sort of turbo session in this evening if we were lucky enough to get him settled, but I really don't have the energy. Tomorrow is another day.

All things considered I've made some progress (if not as much as planned) this week. Today is the first missed session since we started back in January and I've seen signs this week in run, swim and weight fronts that things are progressing (and my bike is my strongest discipline anyway).

Next week is a recovery and testing week...

Totals
    Swim: 3hrs 40
    Bike: 3hrs 55
    Run: 6hrs 20
    S&C: 45 mins
    Total: 14 hrs 40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

RJM85 wrote:
    Tuesday Run - 45 mins - recovery jog Bike - 85 mins (2hrs planned) threshold intervals. This was interrupted a couple of times as Connor isn't well. Ended up bailing at 11:30 and heading to bed. Not ideal, but unavoidable.

Are your turbo's always this late? How do many to sleep with such a late turbo?

Are your turbo's always this late? How do many to sleep with such a late turbo?

No. Usually on the turbo by 8:30 so finished by 10:30 at the latest, and try to be in bed by 11.

I can usually get to sleep pretty quick after any session - although I do try to make sure I get a decent warm down at the end.

For this particular one I was 45 mins in before the child woke, spent some time settling him, and started where I left off in the turbo session. He then woke again about 11:30 at which point I still had 35 minutes of bike time left and gave up on the idea of the turbo as it was going to be one of those nights where no sleep is achieved.

Looks like a nice result for you yesterday, that bike work is paying off. Well done!

Monday

Bike – 40 minutes easy spinning.

Tuesday

Bike – Test - 10 mins @ 157hr (305w), 10 mins @ 164hr (321w). That’s a 10 watt improvement on this session last month for the first and a 1(!) watt improvement on the second.

Wednesday

Swim – 30 mins – 1.5k fairly easy set.

Bike – 1hr 8 x 1 min intervals. Turbo tyre punctured near the end of this.

Run – 20 mins – easy off the bike.

Thursday

Swim – TT – 2k total. 5:55 for 400m (2 seconds improvement) and 2:49 (3 seconds improvement) for 200m.

Friday

Tri an Mhi Good Friday Time Trial – 19.6k.

Drove around for 25 minutes beforehand looking for a toilet. Only got a 15 minute warm up. Found a hole in the seam of my skinsuit at the start line. Fairly horrible lumpy course. Felt like I had a headwind for all but 2k at the very end. Bike needs a service and I had trouble getting into the 54x11. I changed my position on the TT bars (narrowed the bars and decreased my elbow angle) which left me feeling unstable in the gusts of wind. AP was about 10 watts down on what I wanted. Had to rush home straight after to an (uncharacteristically) screaming toddler and heavily pregnant wife at her wits end. I had the fastest time by just shy of 30 seconds though, and I’m pretty happy with how it went overall!

Saturday

Run – Test - 10 mins @ 161hr (4:21/km – 2 seconds improvement), 10 mins @ 170hr (04:00/km – no change).

Bike – 2hrs 30 – easy on the turbo

Run – 20 mins easy off the bike. This logged into Sunday on TP as it was slightly after midnight when I got off the bike.

Sunday

Planned day off for a family christening. Someone from my sister in laws extended family brought banana bread. I ate 5 slices.

Totals:

Swim: 1hr

Bike: 5hrs 40

Run: 1hr 20

Total: 8hrs

Sounds like interesting prep for the TT, but sure if it works you will have to keep it going now. Seen the results online and thought it was yourself, from the look of it you won fairly handy. Well done, obviously things are working well with the new coach.

joey100 wrote: »
    Sounds like interesting prep for the TT, but sure if it works you will have to keep it going now. Seen the results online and thought it was yourself, from the look of it you won fairly handy. Well done, obviously things are working well with the new coach.

Relatively small low key event so I wouldn't read too much into the 'result'. Still, it's nice to win something, and I think it's also good to show myself I can put in a pretty decent performance with less than ideal prep / warm up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

A gong is a gong is a gong! Well done on the win :D

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    A gong is a gong is a gong! Well done on the win :D

Using a fairly loose definition of 'gong'

• Advertisement

That's a better prize than I have got in some races.

And a bit like what Kurt says, you can only beat who shows up!

Advertisement