Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Passport card finally on the way.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

This post has been deleted.

Why? It's fairly clear on their website that they accept photo ID between UK & ROI.

http://www.ryanair.com/en/terms-and-conditions/regulations-traveldocumentation/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

petrolcan wrote: »
    Why? It's fairly clear on their website that they accept photo ID between UK & ROI.

So the new dole card should be enough. And under 16 you don't need anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

So the new dole card should be enough.

No idea. I'd guess if it's a government issued photo ID then it'd probably be okay. It would probably be wise to check first.
    And under 16 you don't need anything.

When accompanied by an adult.

"Any photo ID which matches the passenger name in the booking"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Where does it say that?!

All I can see is a reference to domestic flights within the UK.

My reading skills have gone to hell today. You are indeed correct, that table is for internal flights.

I still had my UK issued photocard licence accepted without issue last year.

UK to Ireland would be considered internal flight due to no boarder agreement.

UK to Ireland would be considered internal flight due to no boarder agreement.

That's certainly as good an explanation as any.

• Advertisement

But we have already agreed they have no legal right to ask, Due to open boarders between the UK and Ireland and it's citizens it's there policy only. Take for example you drive the NI and go from there that's part of the UK.

Fair enough, but they do seem to be doing something that is not entirely legal hence originally asking if this has been challenged in the courts. Due to the special UK/IRE boarder agreements of 100% free movement. An Irish person could just turn up in the UK and immediately claim social welfare and be given a UK Social insurance number on the back of their Irish one.

They didn't demand one from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭OneOfThem

Can we not just get a move on with the retinal scanning?

OneOfThem wrote: »
    Cam we not just get a move on with the retinal scanning?

What ?? And have people stealing eyes !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

You can't even check in on a flight between the UK and Ireland without giving them your passport details.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Fair enough, but they do seem to be doing something that is not entirely legal hence originally asking if this has been challenged in the courts. Due to the special UK/IRE boarder agreements of 100% free movement. An Irish person could just turn up in the UK and immediately claim social welfare and be given a UK Social insurance number on the back of their Irish one.

Why would it not be entirely legal ?
    They are not checking your passport for free movement between the countries. Nor preventing you from entering the UK without one.
    But they are perfectly entitled to specify it as a condition of id to let you on their planes.

Why would it not be entirely legal ?
    They are not checking your passport for free movement between the countries. Nor preventing you from entering the UK without one.
    But they are perfectly entitled to specify it as a condition of id to let you on their planes.

Yes they are by giving you the only option of passport for ID, And what people have said they do not allow you to travel without supplying the passport thus denying you free travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

If your passport has three years then so will the card.

I wonder are the costs pro rata too?

If this runs in parallel with the passport, the application has been made with the details supplied, so why isnt it just issued if requested, the actual production of the card cant be that much, the processing work is already being done.
    At worst a nominal fee to cover whatever additional cost are associated with the card and posting it, but the admin is already being done anyway!

bloody scam, at least if it was for 10 years, there might be some excuse, but 5!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Yes they are by giving you the only option of passport for ID, And what people have said they do not allow you to travel without supplying the passport thus denying you free travel.

No they arent. Are you saying that if they allowed driving licences as id it would be OK. Or would you then say they are only allowing drivers to travel without passport id and so denying non drivers the right to free travel ?

cerastes wrote: »

If this runs in parallel with the passport, the application has been made with the details supplied, so why isnt it just issued if requested, the actual production of the card cant be that much, the processing work is already being done.
    At worst a nominal fee to cover whatever additional cost are associated with the card and posting it, but the admin is already being done anyway!

bloody scam, at least if it was for 10 years, there might be some excuse, but 5!

I would wager a new Quango has been set-up to run this and it's not done by the same department that deals with passports. They just check with the department that deals with passports to verify the information presented to them then they print the cards.

cerastes wrote: »

If you could apply for one when you get a new passport and pay an extra 20 quid everyone would get one.

If I buy one next month I'll have it for 5 years but I'll either have to get the next one for 2 years because my passport expires in 7 years or do without for 2 years.

Typically ****e system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Ask to speak to his/her superior... The Gardas job is to witness you signing the form, doesn't matter if they know you or not.

Doesn't work like that anymore. In fact, they have signs up now in stations saying they don't sign forms unless they know you.

Here is the relevant section from the Certificate of Identity form:
    I personally know ____________who has signed Section 1 above in my presence.

I also certify that
    the affixed photograph is a true likeness of _____________.

Doesn't work like that anymore. In fact, they have signs up now in stations saying they don't sign forms unless they know you.

So what if you don't know a Guard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Jayop wrote: »

Looks like I'll be stuck in Ireland for the forseeable future, then-- my passport is up at the end of the year. I don't know anyone in the Gardai.

I'll be seeing shortly how this pans out...

DivingDuck wrote: »
    Looks like I'll be stuck in Ireland for the forseeable future, then-- my passport is up at the end of the year. I don't know anyone in the Gardai.

I'll be seeing shortly how this pans out...

I never got this idea, Would it not be a problem if the Garda actually knew you.

But that's for a driving licence.

A garda can sign once they are satisfied that you ar who you say you are. There's nothing saying you have to personally know them.

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/top-passport-questions/how-to-get-your-application-witnessed/

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure a Guard will sign it for you if you show them some other form of ID like and old passport or a licence.

It is stupid though.

But that's for a driving licence.

A garda can sign once they are satisfied that you ar who you say you are. There's nothing saying you have to personally know them.

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/top-passport-questions/how-to-get-your-application-witnessed/

Eh, I know it's for a driving licence, that's what I am trying to get renewed.

As I said in my original post, I was asked for a passport, but as I don't have one, I need to get this form filled in. This is they very same form you are asked to get signed if you lose your passport by the way.
    I'm pretty sure a Guard will sign it for you if you show them some other form of ID like and old passport or a licence.

Nope. They won't. They have signed the form witnessing my declaration that I have lost my licence, but they are refusing to sign the Certificate of Identity as I have no other photo ID. Again: I do not have a passport and have lost my licence. Kevin St garda said: 'Sure you could be anyone' and Store St said similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

murpho999 wrote: »
    Well you're not really, they're an added extra for your normal passport.

Paying for the extra convenience of having a card form of your passport.

So if you don't want one, don't get one and just use your normal passport. Simple.

If it's purpose is to augment a passport, it's validity term should be the same as that of a passport. Simpler, everywhere except here in Dumbfcukville. Unless the intention is to obfuscate the fact that they actually cost €70. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Yeah my question was would Ryanair accept them. If they do then I'll get one for sure but if not then there's no need.

Also, I agree, the 5 year term of it is a joke. My licence is in card form, 10 years, my passport is 10 years, there's no reason other than screwing people to put this down as 5 years.

What if I get one with 3 years left on my passport, will I get 3 years or will I get the full 5?

Of course Ryanair will accept it as it's a genuine passport document.

It's not an ID card.

Also, they already accept official identity cards from other countries that allow their official identity cards to be used as passports (Netherlands is the example I know of).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

But I'd have kept my old licence in my wallet anyway so I don't see the difference.

Losing your wallet is never a good idea anyway.

The difference is, you'll have the passport booklet sitting at home and renewing a card will be much quicker and easier than renewing a booklet.

There's a list of other people that is also fine: GP, TD, Bank Manager, Solicitor etc, but my GP is on a sabbatical and won't be back for the foreseeable. Don't know any solicitors either. I've led a sheltered life it would seem.

The Certificate of Identity form (along with your birth cert) is only needed if you have lost your Passport / Driving Licence, wish to get a new one and have no other acceptable forms of Photo ID. It's a rare enough position to find yourself in, but find myself in it I have.

There's a list of other people that is also fine: GP, TD, Bank Manager, Solicitor etc, but my GP is on a sabbatical and won't be back for the foreseeable. Don't know any solicitors either. I've led a sheltered life it would seem.

The only solicitors I know are ones I've used in a professional capacity, so I expect they'd charge for the privilege. Don't know any TDs or Bank Managers, and I don't even have a regular GP. Apparently I'm also very sheltered...
    The Certificate of Identity form (along with your birth cert) is only needed if you have lost your Passport / Driving Licence, wish to get a new one and have no other acceptable forms of Photo ID. It's a rare enough position to find yourself in, but find myself in it I have.

I'll try to keep my passport safe, so. I am fairly sure I have a birth cert somewhere, but I wouldn't like to bet on it...

The only solicitors I know are ones I've used in a professional capacity, so I expect they'd charge for the privilege.

Funny you should mention that. I did write to one which I had dealt with around ten years ago and they sent me this response.

I guess I have that as a last resort I suppose, but I'm guessing it'll cost me a few sheckles if I do end up making that appointment.

Funny you should mention that. I did write to one which I had dealt with around ten years ago and they sent me this response.

I guess I have that as a last resort I suppose, but I'm guessing it'll cost me a few sheckles if I do end up making that appointment.

Seems likely, unfortunately. Time to start having beers at the pub closest to your local Garda station...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Has anyone tried to apply online?

The image upload is incredibly frustrating - It's really anal about positioning the picture but no permutation I try seems to work

Edit: Got it eventually - It is very picky though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

This has gone live today. Requesting through the app was pretty straightforward. Lets see how long it takes to start processing them.

Edit: took just 2 attempts to take an acceptable photo but then I'm so photogenic :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭The Masculinist

Just completed my application. I used the online service and used a scan of a passport photo I had taken with a photo machine.

I am sure this has been thought of but...how can the passport office ensure that people aren't using photos of other people here illegally and then the other person can travel around Europe using someone else's identity and evading deportation? Do they validate the photo you upload against your passport photo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

How have you managed to get the photo to work. It just wont accept any pic I take.

How have you managed to get the photo to work. It just wont accept any pic I take.

I used the online website. I scanned a passport photo which I got done at one of those automatic photo machines at a train station (I selected the passport option so the photo was taken to the required passport specifications).

When I uploaded the photo my eyes were in between the green strip. I clicked preview, then submit.

It seemed to work for me. The proof will be when I get the card!

One final tip, take note of your application number after you submit the application, they do not send you a confirmation email.

Hope it works for you :)

Of course Ryanair will accept it as it's a genuine passport document.

The rules on their website just confirmed what you said :)

"Irish Passport Card - the Irish passport card can be used by Irish citizens for travel withing the European Union and the European Economic Area. "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I used the online website. I scanned a passport photo which I got done at one of those automatic photo machines at a train station (I selected the passport option so the photo was taken to the required passport specifications).

When I uploaded the photo my eyes were in between the green strip. I clicked preview, then submit.

It seemed to work for me. The proof will be when I get the card!

One final tip, take note of your application number after you submit the application, they do not send you a confirmation email.

Hope it works for you :)

Will have to do that. Just can't get it to accept a photo through the app. Have white background and good lighting but no go. Must have tried 100 times. Very frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

No it's part of the EEA.

Edit: Actually Switzerland isn't part of the EEA but is part of the EFTA. So you'll need full passport book going there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

namloc1980 wrote: »
    No it's part of the EEA.

Edit: Actually Switzerland isn't part of the EEA but is part of the EFTA. So you'll need full passport book going there.

ah feck, I was hoping to be able to travel between home and Switzerland without my passport with this card.

If I get the card, I might try it, but bring the book with me in case.

Advertisement