Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Passport card finally on the way.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Probably need to ask the Dept of Foreign Affairs. The card specifically covers EU/EEA. Switzerland is not part of either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Anyway of retrieving your order number? You think they would send a mail, only saw the post about them not after :o

Says due to initial demand turnaround 20 working days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Anyway of retrieving your order number? You think they would send a mail, only saw the post about them not after :o

Says due to initial demand turnaround 20 working days
    Doubt it but could try ringing them and give the details and see what they say.
    The app for applying is very good in fairness to them, quick and easy to do

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I can see the first few batches taking a lot longer than expected with teething problems. I hope not but it wouldn't be a surprise.

In fairness to the passport office, the last two years I've got 4 passports in two batches and they all came quicker than what the advertised time was supposed to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

The cards will be valid and accepted in Switzerland from what I can see.

The cards will be valid and accepted in Switzerland from what I can see.

Will airlines flying to Switzerland accept it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

Ryanair and Aeringus who fly to Switzerland will accept them and Swiss airlines who also fly will probably accept them too.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 20 drpm_99

I applied on Monday afternoon, between 1 and 2. The application tracker says that the card has been printed and posted.
    No update on An Posts website, I wouldn't expect it from them anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

I applied about 5PM Monday, showing as stage 5/6 (queued for printing) now.

I was impressed by the app, worked perfectly for me.

Ryanair and Aeringus who fly to Switzerland will accept them and Swiss airlines who also fly will probably accept them too.

Ryanair and Aer Lingus have said they'll accept them for travel within the EU and EEA. Switzerland is not part of either. The Dept of Foreign Affairs also state it's only valid in the EU/EEA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

It's ID cards by the back door. Give it time they will be compulsory. I don't understand why people don't see this.

I had ordered one, forgot to take the number down so cant check, payment was showing on my bank but has now disappeared :confused:

It's ID cards by the back door. Give it time they will be compulsory. I don't understand why people don't see this.

Compulsory passports? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

because the country is populated by sheeple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

because the country is populated by sheeple

Baaaaaah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

My letterbox is in the front door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

endacl wrote: »
    Baaaaaah.

that's the problem with sarcasm nowadays. it is indistinguishable from most regular posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Compulsory passports? :rolleyes:

No, they will be intergrated into a national ID card like in many EU and other states. In germany its an offence not to carry ID at all times. Just wait a few years these cards will be required more and more forcing people to get them. I have no doubt the government will them make them or a sightly different type of card compulsory for anything offical. Im sure its forward thinking people like you did what you were told and voted for Lisbon the second time around so I'd imagine you will probaly just opt to get a barcode tattoo or being microchiped anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No, they will be intergrated into a national ID card like in many EU and other states. In germany its an offence not to carry ID at all times. Just wait a few years these cards will be required more and more forcing people to get them. I have no doubt the government will them make them or a sightly different type of card compulsory for anything offical. Im sure its forward thinking people like you did what you were told and voted for Lisbon the second time around so I'd imagine you will probaly just opt to get a barcode tattoo or being microchiped anyway.

Could well be so. But, I don't get what objection anybody can have to an ID card. What harm is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Could well be so. But, I don't get what objection anybody can have to an ID card. What harm is it?

I object to the idea of compulsory-carry cards purely on the basis that I don't like the idea of breaking the law simply by being forgetful.

If I forget my keys, debit card, or phone, the most trouble I can get into is inconveniencing or embarrassing myself. The idea that I could potentially be prosecuted because I walked two minutes from my house to pick up milk without remembering to transfer my ID card from one pair of jeans to the next doesn't sit well with me.

...That said, I really don't believe the passport card is anything like that. I think it's just a handy form of ID.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Menas wrote: »
    Last time I went thru passport control at dublin the Garda looked at me, not my passport, and said 'you're back again' and waved me thru.
    Not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing.

That's very Dublin airport. First time I came over here back in 2009 it was a quiet Sunday morning at the airport and the guy at passport control barely glanced up from his newspaper when I came through. Just waved me through.

Even once saw one guy go through without any docs. Just said that they were in his suitcase which was the other side at baggage reclaim. No one checked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

*sigh*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

I don't want to *have* to carry an ID card because I live in a free country not a police state.

I always carry my photo licence with me but don't want to be a potential criminal because I forgot it.

• Advertisement

petrolcan wrote: »
    I don't want to *have* to carry an ID card because I live in a free country not a police state.

I always carry my photo licence with me but don't want to be a potential criminal because I forgot it.

That still doesn't answer the question. What harm is it? Free Country...police state? That's all rhetoric without substance. We have to do many things in life. Having a national ID card doesn't imply a criminal offence for not carrying it at all times and any effort to suggest otherwise is paranoia.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭dmullins3

I'm guessing we don't have to hand in our current 'book' passports in order to apply for this one?

what I'm saying is can we hold both at once?

dmullins3 wrote: »
    I'm guessing we don't have to hand in our current 'book' passports in order to apply for this one?

what I'm saying is can we hold both at once?

correct and yes. You need a book passport for visa etc.

Got mine yesterday, they shrunk my head inwards on the photo, gave me a big long face, it looks like when you look in one of those funfair mirrors haha

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ostrich

Got mine yesterday, they shrunk my head inwards on the photo, gave me a big long face, it looks like when you look in one of those funfair mirrors haha

when did you apply?

ostrich wrote: »
    when did you apply?

Monday 5th, Through the app at about 8-9pm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Tried on numerous occasions to get a photo that they will accept via the web site but it keeps failing saying that the photo needs to be taken in a well lit area on a white background. Tried a few phone apps with no joy. Just wondering what apps people used to get a passport size photo that it will accept? I have physical passport photos. Can I get an application form somewhere and submit an application via post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

I agree. I have tried multiple times using iPhone (2) and iPad 2 to get a quality photo and I have failed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Berserker wrote: »
    Tried on numerous occasions to get a photo that they will accept via the web site but it keeps failing saying that the photo needs to be taken in a well lit area on a white background. Tried a few phone apps with no joy. Just wondering what apps people used to get a passport size photo that it will accept? I have physical passport photos. Can I get an application form somewhere and submit an application via post?

If you're passing a photo booth just duck inside and take your photo on your phone in there. That's what I did anyway and it worked first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Sono

That was really quick, I applied on the 10th and still at stage 2 of 6 of application.

• Advertisement

Sono wrote: »
    That was really quick, I applied on the 10th and still at stage 2 of 6 of application.

I applied on the 8th and still at stage 2.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I applied on the 7th and it went to stage 3 the next morning and hasn't moved from that since. I obviously got caught in a surge of applications as people found out and applied for it. Ah well, no rush as I won't need to use it until early December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

I applied on launch day (5th) at around 1pm, and my application has been on Stage 5 since the 6th. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

carrotcake wrote: »
    I applied on launch day (5th) at around 1pm, and my application has been on Stage 5 since the 6th. :(

I applied around the same time as you and it was delivered to Spain last Thursday. I did get hit for the extra €5 international delivery charge.

Looking at all the security features on the card I'd imagine they're not easy to produce. They probably had a big rush the first day and it will take them a while to get up to speed.

Mine got cancelled today as they said the photo had a shine in the background. Pants. My wife, whose photo I took on the same surface, with the same phone a minute apart, has her application at stage 5 now though.

Balls.

Still having no joy getting a photo to pass the online validation. Tried taking the photo using my phone in a passport photo booth. Can we get an application form in the post office for this?

Berserker wrote: »
    Still having no joy getting a photo to pass the online validation. Tried taking the photo using my phone in a passport photo booth. Can we get an application form in the post office for this?

Even when you do it's no guarantee given my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Doesn't work like that anymore. In fact, they have signs up now in stations saying they don't sign forms unless they know you.

Here is the relevant section from the Certificate of Identity form:

I just renewed my passport today, popped into Salthill Garda station with my new passport photos, didn't know the female garda from Adam, but she looked at me, the photos signed and stamped the form, signed the back of two photos and stamped them and then off to the post office to send by passport express. Maybe there is different rules in rural garda stations, but the city ones shouldn't be any trouble getting verification and your form signed.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

5starpool wrote: »
    Even when you do it's no guarantee given my experience.

So, if you cannot get a photo to pass their validation, you are done for and if you do, you might not even pass their manual validation. What a fantastic service! Looked around in Dublin today and none of the photo shops will give you an electronic copy of your passport photo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement