Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Passport card finally on the way.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Just scan a good passport photo onto your computer.

Will try that Fred, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

My application has been at Stage 5 for two weeks now, but I've noticed that my credit card was charged yesterday, so maybe things are moving. I can hope anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

My cards status says its at stage 5, in a queue to be printed, but it was delivered to me last Friday.......

Simply Red wrote: »
    My cards status says its at stage 5, in a queue to be printed, but it was delivered to me last Friday.......
    Nice. :)

Do you know if your credit card was charged on (or around) the day that the passport card was sent to you?

I'm wondering if they only charge people when the passport card is sent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

carrotcake wrote: »
    Nice. :)

Do you know if your credit card was charged on (or around) the day that the passport card was sent to you?

I'm wondering if they only charge people when the passport card is sent.

Mine is on stage 2 since the 11th but my card was charged yesterday.

Found mine waiting for me when I got home from work, although the website still says Stage 5. I suppose if your credit card is charged then it has been printed and sent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Applied for mine the first day it came out had two or three days later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sono

Belfunk wrote: »
    Mine is on stage 2 since the 11th but my card was charged yesterday.

Similar to that I applied on the 10th, application at stage 2 of 6 but card was charged yesterday but status hasn't changed, reckon they are seriously behind and the updates don't mean anything and we will just get them when we get them kinda thing.

Jumped from stage 2 to stage 5 today and waiting to be printed, will post up when I get it, application submitted 10th October.

The tracker was updated yesterday (21st) to say that the application was at Stage 6. This was the day after I received it in the post. :)

In fact, the An Post tracking shows that it was sent on the 9th.

I'm a little surprised that the postal service is being used to send these cards all around the world. When I renewed my passport via the embassy here they refused to use the local postal service (with good reason), and would only work with couriers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

I submitted on 08/10 and my OH on the first day, 05/10. We're still on Stage 3. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

I don't get this, why would I pay money for something that is covered by the passport. If it totally replaced the passport that would be something, I bet a few people will turn up to non EU countries with this and be in for a whole lot of hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

I don't get this, why would I pay money for something that is covered by the passport. If it totally replaced the passport that would be something, I bet a few people will turn up to non EU countries with this and be in for a whole lot of hassle.
    Its more convenient than carrying a passport book around as it fits in a wallet/purse.
    It clearly states that it is only for use within the EU, so they deserve the hassle if it comes to that. Also i doubt they'll be allowed to travel if they're not carrying the necessary documentation needed for their destination

Good job everyone has a choice to buy this or not, if you don't get it then don't buy one, quite simple really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

Mine arrived today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Mine is "on route to customer" today. So it should be there when I get home from work. Can't wait to see how the picture turned out as it was not my best side!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Got mine today. I still don't get the whole 5 year expiry. As it stands now my new passport card will expire in October 2020, 21 months before my passport book expires in July 2022. That's just stupid. The new driver's license cards are valid for 10 years. Money making exercise me thinks.

Stage 6 of 6, posted yesterday so should have it next Tuesday. Quick enough I suppose.

Finding got a photo to submit. It was a passport photo that I scanned in. Here hoping that all is ok with the application from here on in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭GrayFox208

Just barcode us and be done with it.

Like Agent 47?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

In germany its an offence not to carry ID at all times.

Not true, except for people in very specific categories:
    https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitführpflicht

Mine arrived today. Was at stage II on Tuesday, after submitting the request on Saturday. Will be really hand to use this next week when I visit England.

Got mine last Tuesday, took 17 days in total, pretty sweet card!

That is ridiculous, they would want to sort this out ffs...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

OOOPS! Charlie Flanagan what have you to say about this!

I think it's just a drinking ID card that fits in your wallet. Department of FA was fed up with young wans losing their passports when on the lash.

It's ok for the UK, England in particular, isn't it?

If this is not accepted around Europe it's not worth the plastic it's printed on, they better sort this and quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

I ordered mine at 15.50 on Monday and it arrived this morning. Seriously quick turnaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Gerinspain

I'll be using mine on Sunday flying to Spain...hope it works ok but will have my passport book handy just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I think it's just a drinking ID card that fits in your wallet. Department of FA was fed up with young wans losing their passports when on the lash.

I thought so too...I mailed the VFI and they continue to advise their members to take the Age Card only.

There is just no dignity in buying some alcohol from a supermarket and handing over my Age Card with my photo on it from when I was 18. Strangely, the Age Card doesn't have any expiry date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

GreenWolfe wrote: »
    I thought so too...I mailed the VFI and they continue to advise their members to take the Age Card only.

There is just no dignity in buying some alcohol from a supermarket and handing over my Age Card with my photo on it from when I was 18. Strangely, the Age Card doesn't have any expiry date.

That's gas .... What if you don't live in Ireland ... are you supposed to get an Age card just to be able to buy a few beers :D ?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I ordered my card on the 8th november and promptly forgot about it. It arrived this morning in Switzerland at 8am at my door. Very impressed with speed of it.

Hilariously though, I'm not sure I can use the card as a passport in Switzerland as it's not EU but is Schengen. Can anyone advice?

edit: with thanks to Fred Swanson, it appears to be accepted https://www.dfa.ie/news-and-media/press-releases/press-release-archive/2015/october/minister-flanagan-passport-card-switzerland-dfa/ Awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bronab2

Wish I had got one as I forgot my passport for the ferry but need it for flying back 😕 at least I could keep the card in my purse at all times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

I had a nightmare with my Passport card in CDG Paris over the weekend.

Both going in and going out a massive ordeal was made of it by the French security. One of them started shouting at me that a passport has pages in it and only let me through after a big stewards inquiry about it 15 minutes later.

The line of people behind me weren't impressed.

Next time I am just going to bring my normal passport with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

I'd be inclined to contact the Dept. of Foreign affairs and the French Embassy to clarify the situation.

I would also ask for a written apology from the French Embassy if they come back and say the passport card should be accepted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Need my birthcert to apply. Does this need to be done online these days or can you pop in somewhere and get it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Can you apply for the passport card at the same time as renewing your passport or is it two separate processes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

aphex™ wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to contact the Dept. of Foreign affairs and the French Embassy to clarify the situation.

I would also ask for a written apology from the French Embassy if they come back and say the passport card should be accepted.

I've let the passport office know through Twitter and have sent them a DM about it.

I got through eventually so I don't really mind. I'd hate to see someone in a rush though get stopped though.

I honestly just think they hadn't seen one before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

I've let the passport office know through Twitter and have sent them a DM about it.

I got through eventually so I don't really mind. I'd hate to see someone in a rush though get stopped though.

I honestly just think they hadn't seen on before.

I had a similar situation in Brussels about a week after I got the card (I ordered it on the first day so would have been in the first group to receive them) so may have been the first person through with it.

They were very nice about it, but was left waiting about 15 minutes while they went off to make some inquiries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

I honestly just think they hadn't seen one before.

They would have been informed about it, but probably didn't read up on the notice they received.

And I would't accept the shouting part.

• Advertisement
Advertisement