Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Passport card finally on the way.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

Garda ID's are fine for young people to take out to gig or pub. There is no need to bring a passport with them. In fact I've used both USIT and college ID cards in the past and never had a problem with them. Also if a 13 Years old gets a 10 year passport and a card with a 5 year expiry on it them they will be using that pic of themselves going out. It could be anyone really. At least Garda or student ID would have an up to date pic.
    500 lost passports is down to stupidly you can legislate for that.

I've travelled all over the world and my passport has gotten a bit battered, but it was also full of stamps, visas and memorys.

Look at the passport lost/stolen statistics. Ask the Dept of Foreign affairs. Many young people are forced to bring passports for whatever reason to 'gigs' defined broadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

Hey Highwayman,
    In your 5 years in Frankfurt how many times have you:

1. Signed a contract, phone, mobile, electricity...
    2. Changed your car/been stopped when driving
    3. Opened a bank account/bought a flat/house
    4. Had a car accident or had contact mit die Bullen
    5. Picked up a DHL package at your local post office
    6. Visited the Einwohnermeldungsamt/Finanzamt

For all the above you would need your passport in Germany, add to that that the law states you must be able to identify yourself with official photo ID at all times hence the reason the Germans have there Ausweis which is no different to the passportcard.
    In my situation I am driving nearly daily along the German border to Belgium, France and Holland. Since Paris and with the refugees I have been stopped a few times since the beginning of Dec. Very nice to have a card in your wallet to cover all in my opinion. My passport is permanently on the bedside table now

Yes for some of those situations I've had to have my passport with me in the past. In fact I've to go to the post office tomorrow and pick up a package and I'll use my driving license. Although when stopped driving I've only EVER had my Irish driving licence. I've never got a German one and therefore I've never got a penalty point. I did have it taken away for a month and got a fine for speeding but no points.

I'm aware of the law regarding carrying ID I just refused to obey it.

As for being stopped driving between France,Bel,Lux,Nedd or DE there is no obligation to have anything other than a driving licence on you as per schengen.

ATM card will do in fact anything in your wallet will lead to a positive ID. You don't need an official ID for a body to be identified

A decent French hotel won't ask you for your ID either. If you die in your room overnight, they can track you ID via your payment card number, used when making a reservation, via the police etc.

I am not advocating a must carry ID card. If a registered letter is sent to you, and you are out at the time of delivery, you will have to pick it up at a post office. You should have something simpler to hand than having to carry a passport to collect same.

The forced need to use passports within the European Space (EU + CH, NO, AD, MC, LI, IS) is just dumb.

At some hotels (eg in Spain) they have to collect ID info at checkin. An ID card is eminently suitable in these circumstances - rather than digging in an attache case for a passport. Good hotels have a device that can machine read the back of the card, providing your vital details in one swipe to their system. While I do not agree with this Spanish police state-ism requirement, it is convenient to have a card. It will be interesting to see what the European Data Protection authority does with hotels and their demands and storage of ID info + payment card data - given that some 30% of payment card fraud originates from data stolen from hotels.

Virtually all the big hotel chains in the world have had massive hack attacks on payment card data. Many use the same software system. Virtually all hotels that use cards with magnetic stripes for room keys are hackable in a few seconds. We are talking about millions of hotel rooms at risk here. With charge cards the card holder is generally liable for everything charged in theory - if it is EMV you can reject such a claim, providing the service establishment can't show that the correct PIN was used. Under the Bills of Exchange Act, if a cheque signature is forged, the bank is liable. This does not apply to the new form of cheque - ie the plastic card. The one exception is some AmEx cards which are limited to EUR 50 liability. Debit cards issued in some countries have no ceiling on what can be stolen by misuse/theft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Yes for some of those situations I've had to have my passport with me in the past. In fact I've to go to the post office tomorrow and pick up a package and I'll use my driving license. Although when stopped driving I've only EVER had my Irish driving licence. I've never got a German one and therefore I've never got a penalty point. I did have it taken away for a month and got a fine for speeding but no points.

As for being stopped driving between France,Bel,Lux,Nedd or DE there is no obligation to have anything other than a driving licence on you as per schengen.

To having it taken off you in Germany...didnt know that was possible. Must be a new thing....I was done in 2004 for speeding, had an Irish licence.....next I had a letter in the door from the staatsanwaltschaft with a court appointment. At that time it was law to have your licence changed after 6 months of taking up residency (I was here 3 years at that time) so that you could get points etc. Cost me nearly €3000 in total...

If you meet the wrong police officer they will tell you very quickly that Ireland are not a full member of the Schengen agreement...hence you need to carry your passport. It can cost a lot of time until the problem is solved....

No. In France it is up to the policeman under law to decide if the ID you offer is adequate. Otherwise s/he can arrest you and you will be kept in prison until somebody shows up for you with an acceptable form of ID.

An ID card issued by an EU state of birth can't be rejected on the grounds of discretion by a police person. Unless they can show that it is forged. The ID card is far harder to forge than an Irish passport, if you look at one in some detail on both sides, you will see.

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    Lol @ people still up in arms over ID cards.

I mean really....?

Have your got yours??? :P:P if not move on....:D:D

Mr.S wrote: »
    Lol @ people still up in arms over ID cards.

I mean really....?

Perhaps one might say 'up in arms for ID cards' rather than against.... At least those of us who travel for work or whatever in a civil law country (which is most of the planet).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Garda ID's are fine for young people to take out to gig or pub. There is no need to bring a passport with them. In fact I've used both USIT and college ID cards in the past and never had a problem with them. Also if a 13 Years old gets a 10 year passport and a card with a 5 year expiry on it them they will be using that pic of themselves going out. It could be anyone really. At least Garda or student ID would have an up to date pic.

I've travelled all over the world and my passport has gotten a bit battered, but it was also full of stamps, visas and memorys.
    Impetus wrote: »
    Look at the passport lost/stolen statistics. Ask the Dept of Foreign affairs. Many young people are forced to bring passports for whatever reason to 'gigs' defined broadly.

There was a thread on this before (possibly this one), lots of places don't accept passports for proof of age because they know they'll be lost.
    Why bring a €90 passport with you or a €35 passport card when you can get one of these: https://www.agecard.ie/

No. In France it is up to the policeman under law to decide if the ID you offer is adequate. Otherwise s/he can arrest you and you will be kept in prison until somebody shows up for you with an acceptable form of ID.

An ID card issued by an EU state of birth can't be rejected on the grounds of discretion by a police person. Unless they can show that it is forged. The ID card is far harder to forge than an Irish passport, if you look at one in some detail on both sides, you will see.

I was under the impression the Irish passport was one of the most secure around. Didn't isreal get caught trying to steal and get the security details from it a few years back?

I have my Irish driving licence and passport I'm very happy with that. These cards are just a national ID card tarted up as some from of passport which it would seem are fairly unless at that job.
    It's just a personal thing I won't carry ID because I'm told to and I reject Ireland introducing one.

Cienciano wrote: »
    There was a thread on this before (possibly this one), lots of places don't accept passports for proof of age because they know they'll be lost.
    Why bring a €90 passport with you or a €35 passport card when you can get one of these: https://www.agecard.ie/

An agecard is useless in the rest of Europe / world. An ID issued by your country of citizenship works in at least 30 European countries, and probably more (eg internal air travel in US etc).

• Advertisement

I was under the impression the Irish passport was one of the most secure around. Didn't isreal get caught trying to steal and get the security details from it a few years back?

I have my Irish driving licence and passport I'm very happy with that. These cards are just a national ID card tarted up as some from of passport which it would seem are fairly unless at that job.
    It's just a personal thing I won't carry ID because I'm told to and I reject Ireland introducing one.

When you are resident in another country in the EU it is required/expected that you get their local EU driving license. You can use an Irish license for short trips etc.

Feel free to reject the idea of an ID card. But please don't try to prevent citizens of Ireland who want one to have one. I am not forcing you to have an ID card. Or carry the bible to identify yourself or any other book on the planet.

In civil law countries, you can use your Irish passport or get a local ID card or both. The ID card is more convenient and secure.

You can't legislate for drunken / thieving behaviour. No sober person wants to get their passport stolen. It is just so clunky, and easily lifted from the back pocket of a pair of jeans or whatever.

Personally also think we should all give a DNA test and finger prints before getting a passport of any kind. :P:P:P

If you have nothing to hide no reason to worry...:D:D

What about the people working for/ giving cash bribes to people who are working for the state who have online access to your DNA files, finger prints, etc. You can't replace these.

What about the people working for/ giving cash bribes to people who are working for the state who have online access to your DNA files, finger prints, etc. You can't replace these.

What if I go into my local bar with a nosey barman, drink a few pints and the barman sells the glass....then they have my fingerprints and dna too...

Nothing in our world today is 100% safe, if someone wants something badly enough they can get it, however we should expect that the government have a process in place to prevent personal/confidential data falling into the wrong hands.

Mena wrote: »
    And dump the common travel area with the U.K.?

1) There is no longer a common travel area with GB. Everybody entering say Dublin airport has to queue for and go through police control.

2) Make the Island of Ireland a common travel area as part of Schengen.

Everybody to travels to/from NI to GB has their identity checked at the airport or wherever (eg ferryport) by the airline or ferry operator.

For good measure impose a fine on an airline or other transport agency who neglects to verify ID.

This would allow NI and IRL to be in Schengen-land without any extra passport bureaucracy between the Island of Ireland and the rest of Europe.

It would increase Russian, Chinese and other rich foreign travel / tourism to Ireland big time. Most of these people when visiting Europe only get a Schengen Visa. It would also make Ireland a more efficient place for the business traveller to base themselves in or travel to/from.

It is a no-brainer. The EU has the highest GDP on the planet - bigger than China or the USA. Ireland is dumb not to fully participate in the system.

Fine we have France in emergency mode off Shengen for the next month or so after Paris bombings - which were almost certainly carried out by people with FR or BE passports. If you are concerned about traffic to/from Syria etc.... if the Schengen border is properly managed, there is little fear of victims of colonialism extreme (VoCE) bombing your country/city - unless a country's population turns racist against these brown people. Ireland has not done so, and any country that turns racist against a population type is asking for trouble. Also don't do Charlie Hebdo type comic books attacking any religion. This may be interpreted as blasphemy in certain quarters. It has nothing to do with free speech.

Dumb and all as the US is, they didn't put up border controls between New York and New Jersey etc after 9/11. Why should Europe do similar?

9/11 was caused by US military action against Arab nations, specifically Iraq. It is another case of aspirin and toothache. Aspirin is not the solution for a toothache.

What if I go into my local bar with a nosey barman, drink a few pints and the barman sells the glass....then they have my fingerprints and dna too...

Nothing in our world today is 100% safe, if someone wants something badly enough they can get it, however we should expect that the government have a process in place to prevent personal/confidential data falling into the wrong hands.

In the same way as we should expect computer security when we shop at xxx shop.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kyle-mccarthy/32-data-breaches-larger-t_b_6427010.html

http://www.networkworld.com/article/3011103/security/biggest-data-breaches-of-2015.html

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/biggest-data-breaches,news-19083.html

I have no doubt that governments everywhere are being hacked. They have masses of structured and unstructured information that can be leveraged by criminals. Many use old, non-updated software (eg operating system, flash, office etc). Few publish the incidents of breakins.

Also don't do Charlie Hebdo type comic books attacking any religion. This may be interpreted as blasphemy in certain quarters. It has nothing to do with free speech.

Personal I believe it has everything to do with free speech and freedom of expression.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

add to that that the law states you must be able to identify yourself with official photo ID at all times

Although I agree pretty much entirely with the thrust of your post, I'll be impressed if you can point to such a law. Except in very specific cases, that's not what the law says.

When you are resident in another country in the EU it is required/expected that you get their local EU driving license. You can use an Irish license for short trips etc.

Cops seems to expect it in some countries, but it is not required, nor was it in 2004 as suggested back the thread. There is a lot of bad info floating around on this issue.

I used an Irish licence in Germany from 1996 to 2000, and I wasn't chancing my arm, I had checked the rules. I'm sorry I didn't exchange it TBH, to this day I have the old school paper one...

mackerski wrote: »
    Although I agree pretty much entirely with the thrust of your post, I'll be impressed if you can point to such a law. Except in very specific cases, that's not what the law says.

2 or 3 points to my statement:

1. Every German adult is oblieged to apply for and carry an "ausweis" (a form of passportcard) with them and be in a position to produce it to a civil servant or police officer if needs be to prove ones identity even if its a random police spot check. Failure to do so can result in a fine of €10-40 depending on the state you are stopped in and a request to produce ID at a police station within x amount of days.

2. As an "Ausländer" a German police officer/staatsanwalt has the right to arrest you to clarify your idenity should you not be carrying an offically issued photo ID (driving licence must not be accepted). This is usually done by passport/passport card in a police station and details can be cross referenced with the ausländeramt and/or embassy/consulate. This is also the case when less likely for a German citizen.

Info for the above has been given to me during various translations, seminars and meetings with employees of police and ausländeramt. This is part of my daily work.

As for the driving licence, I am not sure as stated here in the thread if it is still actual but it was law here in NRW at least for every EU citizen to apply for a German licence after 6 months of residency. This was/is the only way the German government could issue points or driving bans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

2. As an "Ausländer" a German police officer/staatsanwalt has the right to arrest you to clarify your idenity should you not be carrying an offically issued photo ID (driving licence must not be accepted). This is usually done by passport/passport card in a police station and details can be cross referenced with the ausländeramt and/or embassy/consulate. This is also the case when less likely for a German citizen.

Oddly enough, a few years ago I was stopped and only had my drivers licence (German) on me. He called it through to see where I was registered and nothing more was said about it. I must have gotten lucky.

random_guy wrote: »
    Oddly enough, a few years ago I was stopped and only had my drivers licence (German) on me. He called it through to see where I was registered and nothing more was said about it. I must have gotten lucky.

As I wrote...must not be accepted. Depends on the officer you meet and at the moment where you are. The fact that it was a German licence makes it easier for them to check it as it is in there database. An Irish licence would be in the local/national database. Checks have increased and become a little more intesive in the last few months.

1. Every German adult is oblieged to apply for and carry an "ausweis" (a form of passportcard) with them and be in a position to produce it to a civil servant or police officer if needs be to prove ones identity even if its a random police spot check. Failure to do so can result in a fine of €10-40 depending on the state you are stopped in and a request to produce ID at a police station within x amount of days.

This is only partially true - every German of 16 or over is obliged to possess, but not to carry, either a Personalausweis or a Passport. There is an obligation to present either to specific authorities if required, but only specific conditions require you to be able to do so on the spot:

http://www.buzer.de/gesetz/8806/a161496.htm

People obliged to carry at all times include those carrying weapons:
    http://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/waffg_2002/__38.html

...as well as those engaged in specified jobs (commonly those prone to be filled on the black economy):
    http://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/schwarzarbg_2004/__2a.html

If you can find a point of law that indicates a broader requirement to carry ID, let's have it.

On the matter of how the law sees this situation for foreigners I am less informed - it's certainly true that the police can, if it comes to it, haul you in until you can establish your identity, and as you point out, this is also true for citizens. I have no direct accounts of this ever having happened to somebody I knew, though plenty of people having established their identity on the spot by other means to the satisfaction of the officer. Often this was handled by establishing name and date of birth from, say, a driver's licence, then comparing that by radio with the Einwohnermeldeamt registration, though clearly it gets trickier for a non-resident.

As others have said, having lived in Germany in a pre-passport-card world, I too opted not to carry my passport book and to deal with any consequences that might arise. These days, when visiting, I have tended to carry my driver's licence only, though now I have a passport card I will happily keep that in my wallet too.
    As for the driving licence, I am not sure as stated here in the thread if it is still actual but it was law here in NRW at least for every EU citizen to apply for a German licence after 6 months of residency. This was/is the only way the German government could issue points or driving bans.

There appears to have been controversy on this matter in the German courts (specifically on the interpretation of whether the EU rules prohibit countries mandating a licence swap), but since 2003 at least even this seems to have been put to rest:

http://www.verkehrsportal.de/board/index.php?showtopic=71347&st=0&p=1056707160&#entry1056707160

1.This is only partially true - every German of 16 or over is obliged to possess, but not to carry, either a Personalausweis or a Passport. There is an obligation to present either to specific authorities if required, but only specific conditions require you to be able to do so on the spot:

If you can find a point of law that indicates a broader requirement to carry ID, let's have it.

On the matter of how the law sees this situation for foreigners I am less informed - it's certainly true that the police can, if it comes to it, haul you in until you can establish your identity, and as you point out, this is also true for citizens. I have no direct accounts of this ever having happened to somebody I knew, though plenty of people having established their identity on the spot by other means to the satisfaction of the officer. Often this was handled by establishing name and date of birth from, say, a driver's licence, then comparing that by radio with the Einwohnermeldeamt registration, though clearly it gets trickier for a non-resident.

As others have said, having lived in Germany in a 2. pre-passport-card world, I too opted not to carry my passport book and to deal with any consequences that might arise. These days, when visiting, I have tended to carry my driver's licence only, though now I have a passport card I will happily keep that in my wallet too.

Point 1.
    On applying for your ausweis you are normally advised to carry it at all times with you or at least it is highly recommended. This is because your are required by law (see below) to be able to identify yourself if you are in one of the following situations:
    1. You are in a train station/airport
    2. You are traveling within 30km of a border to another state.

This is regulated by § 2 and 3 BPOLG as well as § 22 BPOLG, these are admittedly grey zones within German law and leaves every Police officer with a good reason to arrest you to establish your idenity or fine you.

Point 2.
    The old passport book was something I was reluctant to carry, you are advised to keep it safe etc. Therefore I often carried a photocopy of the main page and offered to present it at a later date if required. This lead to a few fines........

Back to the passport card as this is what the thread is all about. Lets forget about Germany.....if you do a little research you will surely find that Holland requires all foreign citizens to carry a passport at all times. For this instance the passport card cannot be knocked back. It fits in your wallet and you normally have it 24/7 with you. Passport book is then at home in a safe place as recommended by the DFA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭aidanic

Only for (some) non-EU - as an EU citizen you're on your own national ID card, passport or passport card.

They used to issue a paper green Aufenthaltskarte with a passport photo on it to EU citizens for the first 5 years of their stay. After that you either kept it or used your passport or national id. Today all non EU citizens get this card, in some cities it is plastic with a chip.

aidanic wrote: »
    Only for (some) non-EU - as an EU citizen you're on your own national ID card, passport or passport card.

Some countries issue ID cards to non-citizens, even to those from other EU states. These cards usually begin with IR followed by the 3 letter ISO country code of issue. On the second line of the machine readable field, your nationality code is visible (eg IRL).

ID cards issued to citizens usually commence with ID followed by the ISO 3 country code for the issuing country.

Ireland uses IP + IRL in the machine readable field for 'passport cards'. Unlike ID and IR cards, Irish passport cards do not have your address on the reverse. (Neither does your passport - PP).

I notice that if I check into a Spanish hotel that uses an ID card reader, the check in document correctly shows your nationality, even though I might be using use a non-Irish ID card, before the passport card was issued. Too much trouble to dig into a bag to find passport at hotel check in etc.... So they are picking up the citizenship for the second line of machine readable text - which begins with your DoB in ISO sequence, followed by the sex code, followed by a 7 digit number (which is not the card number). The Irish passport has only 2 lines of machine readable text, the passport card has 3 lines. Your name is on the last line of all cards, but on the first line of the passport machine readable section.

Irish passport cards, while locked to the expiry date of the passport, have a completely different serial number to one's passport. They could just as easily have prefixed 'C' or whatever to the card, and used the same serial number with different prefix letters on the passport.

On your ID card your ID number is permanently assigned to you. Each time you get a new ID card it has a different serial number, but you retain the same ID number as a person.

It occurs to me that they are only using a 6 digit number for the DoB on ID documents eg YYMMDD. As life expectancy increases and more and more people live beyond 100 years of age, this may lead to ambiguity. ie someone born on 1910.01.02 would have the same date of birth as somebody born in 2010.01.02 as shown on the machine readable part of the card!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭cannco253

I've a question about passport cards and expiry dates.

I know the passport card is valid up to the expiry of the paper passport, but does anyone know what happens if I apply for and receive the card now and subsequently renew my paper passport (passport expires in less then 6 months).
    Is the card still valid up to the original expiry date, or does renewing a passport automatically invalidate the card?

Reason for asking is Ryanair......thinking of using passport card while renewing passport (still cheaper then aer lingus).

cannco253 wrote: »
    I've a question about passport cards and expiry dates.

I know the passport card is valid up to the expiry of the paper passport, but does anyone know what happens if I apply for and receive the card now and subsequently renew my paper passport (passport expires in less then 6 months).
    Is the card still valid up to the original expiry date, or does renewing a passport automatically invalidate the card?

Reason for asking is Ryanair......thinking of using passport card while renewing passport (still cheaper then aer lingus).

My understanding of the whole thing is that the passport card is only valid for a period of max 5 years or up to the expiry date of your paper passport. Whichever comes first knocks out the passport card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

When applying for the new passport card have you to send back your other passport also to get the photo updated so both passports have the same photo?

When applying for the new passport card have you to send back your other passport also to get the photo updated so both passports have the same photo?

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

No.

Cheers mate, bit strange though seeing as one photo will be from six years ago clean shaving and now would give Grizzly Adams a run for his money haha

• Advertisement

Cheers mate, bit strange though seeing as one photo will be from six years ago clean shaving and now would give Grizzly Adams a run for his money haha

The official will only see one of them. It's all good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

https://twitter.com/Ryanair/status/694573560635998208

They seem to be rolling out the eGates?
    Has anyone got them to work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

random_guy wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Ryanair/status/694573560635998208

They seem to be rolling out the eGates?
    Has anyone got them to work?

Stange that UK Border Control has already done a Brexit. UK passport is a normal EU passport so why have they separated it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

murpho999 wrote: »
    Stange that UK Border Control has already done a Brexit. UK passport is a normal EU passport so why have they separated it?

Would just confuse some English people otherwise .... "They think were bloody french or something?" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Qiaonasen

Definitely happy I bought the passport card. I carry it in my wallet all the time and have gotten lots of use out of it.

Flew from Germany to Ireland and Ireland to Germany with it. No issues.
    Flew to Denmark but wasn't checked.
    Got married in Denmark the passport card was used as the ID.
    Needed to accompany new wife to get residence permit in Germany. ID please. Passport card accepted.
    Went Skiing to Austria twice. Both Weekends I needed the passport card for renting the Skis and on the second weekend there was a passport check at the Bavarian border.
    Will use it when I travel to Serbia next: although Serbia is not in the EU or Schengen they accept EU Id cards. I am sure it will be ok.

Perhaps the most handy use of it is when I forget my ID at work and need a replacement I need to show some ID so they let me into the building. Quite a large company so I am not known at the door. Happens all the time.

All in all a solid investment as it means I always have it when needed at short notice. Don't have to carry the much more valuable passport all the time which if I lost would be a bit of a nightmare due to business travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Qiaonasen wrote: »
    Definitely happy I bought the passport card. I carry it in my wallet all the time and have gotten lots of use out of it.

Flew from Germany to Ireland and Ireland to Germany with it. No issues.
    Flew to Denmark but wasn't checked.
    Got married in Denmark the passport card was used as the ID.
    Needed to accompany new wife to get residence permit in Germany. ID please. Passport card accepted.
    Went Skiing to Austria twice. Both Weekends I needed the passport card for renting the Skis and on the second weekend there was a passport check at the Bavarian border.
    Will use it when I travel to Serbia next: although Serbia is not in the EU or Schengen they accept EU Id cards. I am sure it will be ok.

Perhaps the most handy use of it is when I forget my ID at work and need a replacement I need to show some ID so they let me into the building. Quite a large company so I am not known at the door. Happens all the time.

All in all a solid investment as it means I always have it when needed at short notice. Don't have to carry the much more valuable passport all the time which if I lost would be a bit of a nightmare due to business travel.

i would check the part in bold before traveling if i were you.

i would check the part in bold before traveling if i were you.

I have ready checked it. But I cannot post the link. Lots of Eastern European countries can take the EU ID card for entrance. Moldova is another example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Qiaonasen wrote: »
    I have ready checked it. But I cannot post the link. Lots of Eastern European countries can take the EU ID card for entrance. Moldova is another example.

Bring your passport, they will look for a document to be able to put a sticker into your passport as Fred Swanson has said.

They will accept your Passport Card however they have to put in a stamp for Foreign Nationals and the only place would be your passport.

I am not sure they will know the difference. However I will bring the passport booklet with me just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

This sounds like something that I will lose abroad. Lets just keep the booklet.

This sounds like something that I will lose abroad. Lets just keep the booklet.

Thats why I have it.....€35 is a lot less than passport book to replace. Also alway have the passport book well locked away in my hotel as a backup

Thats why I have it.....€35 is a lot less than passport book to replace. Also alway have the passport book well locked away in my hotel as a backup

You bring both? So what's the point in getting one in the first place?

• Advertisement
Advertisement