Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 98

Options
  • 30-09-2015 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

My uncle gave me his old computer to practise taking it apart. He told me to wipe it clean, so I did, using format c: . But now, I can't get it back up running again. I have an old win98 boot floppy disk which I made myself. That doesn't work. I have an old Ghost Ver. 6 floppy disk that runs and comes up on the screen saying 'Starting Microsoft Windows 98' Microsoft(R) Windows 98 Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1998. Then it has A:\> . By this point I typed in fdisk and went through the procedure. I the rebooted (control +alt + Del) put in the 98 floppy boot disk and 'Remove disk or other media. Press any key to restart' comes up. I tried everything to make this work and nothing happening. PLEASE HELP!!!! I don't reckon the CD Drive works either as it won't load up. All I have is win 98 boot floppy and as I said I tried and doesn't work

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You have wiped the Windows 98 installation on the computer

Now you only have a boot floppy. This will start the computer up (boot) but it won't do anything else

You could get your hands on a set of the Windows '98 installation floppies (that you need to install Windows 98 on the computer), but personally I wouldn't bother. Do what your uncle suggested: practise taking it apart (physically). Unplug everything out of the motherboard, then take all the parts out of the case. Then put everything back together again. 100 points if you can get your Windows 98 boot floppy to work again :)

Then it will be time to move on. You can buy a more modern fully working PC for maybe €20 on adverts. Or for less / free if it has a fault.

Best of luck and keep us updated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

unkel wrote: »
    You have wiped the Windows 98 installation on the computer

Now you only have a boot floppy. This will start the computer up (boot) but it won't do anything else

You could get your hands on a set of the Windows '98 installation floppies (that you need to install Windows 98 on the computer), but personally I wouldn't bother. Do what your uncle suggested: practise taking it apart (physically). Unplug everything out of the motherboard, then take all the parts out of the case. Then put everything back together again. 100 points if you can get your Windows 98 boot floppy to work again :)

Then it will be time to move on. You can buy a more modern fully working PC for maybe €20 on adverts. Or for less / free if it has a fault.

Best of luck and keep us updated :)
    The thing is I made a win98 boot floppy it worked half way and then I put on the missing file to the boot floppy, put it back in and nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Not much use in practicing installing Windows 98 in 2015. Get yourself a linux distro on a USB stick instead.

Advertisement