Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child smells of smoke after play date.

Options
  • 30-09-2015 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

Tough spot.
    My ten year old daughter comes home from her friends house stinking of smoke. Hair and clothes, usual stuff.
    The mother of her friend smokes in the house. We are quite fond of the family and the mother is a lovely person and the girls are very well suited.
    Is there a tactful way of addressing the situation without flat out offending the woman or banning my daughter from visiting the house?
    All opinions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

You are sure she is not smoking herself?
    If you are sure then I don't think there's a whole lot you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Sirtoyou

Wesser wrote: »
    You are sure she is not smoking herself?
    If you are sure then I don't think there's a whole lot you can do.

Yea pretty sure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

No way to do it really without upsetting the smoker. Seems bizarre at this stage that someone would think smoking in a house with kids is normal behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Pawwed Rig wrote:
    No way to do it really without upsetting the smoker. Seems bizarre at this stage that someone would think smoking in a house with kids is normal behaviour.

Is it not in her own home she's smoking?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

It sounds like it but still smoking around children is irresponsible.

Go outside or have a designated smoking room or something.

• Advertisement

MiskyBoyy wrote:
    Go outside or have a designated smoking room or something.

I don't smoke indoors but I wouldn't go asking the friends mam to do the same. Maybe subtly drop a hint to your own daughter OP to go outside in turn the mam might realise her actions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭StonyIron

Your kids' health should be coming first here.
    If she's offended, you know where her priorities are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

you could lie and say your child had severe whooping cough and pneumonia and the doctors said there might be scaring on her lungs or probable risk of asthma... so at least you will have some 'medical' reasons to give.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Yes it is. That doesn't make it less irresponsible though and shows that the woman has a complete disregard for the welfare of her own and the OPs children. I would remove my child from the situation for their sake. Unfortunately there is little you can do for the other poor child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Could you pretend your child has asthma attacks now and again and give the other mother an inhaler to keep in the house "just in case" and hopefully she gets the hint not to smoke around your child?

• Advertisement

You can't ask the woman directly to quit smoking in her own home, unless she's approachable or inadvertently bring it to her attention like I suggested above. If it means possibly breaking a budding friendship so be it but blocking her from visiting is not the first action imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

Are you sure she smokes next to them when they are there? My parents smoke but when we visit, they go outside to smoke. Nevertheless, we inevitably come home stinking of smoke, hair clothes everything just from the stuff that piled up in walls etc over the years... Awful but not inhaling any smoke for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Could you pretend your child has asthma attacks now and again and give the other mother an inhaler to keep in the house "just in case" and hopefully she gets the hint not to smoke around your child?

Why pussyfoot around it with making up stuff and hoping the woman guesses through your web of lies what you are hinting at?

Either have a chat with her about the smoking around your child (face to face would be better than a string of texts), or don't tell her and have the play dates at your house instead.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

You could say you're worried the 2 kids may be smoking as she's coming home reefing of cigarettes and you obviously don't want her anywhere near cigarettes. Then ask the mum for her thoughts. She should get the message. If she didn't take the hint and the child still smells of smoke I would give the other mother the options as you're concerned for her long term health.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I wouldn't make a big deal about it.

unless your daughter has asthma or some other breathing condition, the risks are really low

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielfisher/2013/12/12/study-finds-no-link-between-secondhand-smoke-and-cancer/

If the mother owned a diesel car or even had an open wood fire it's probably doing more harm to your child than her smoking is. if she had a barbeque, or if the kids went camping and sat next to a fire-pit your child would be exposed to far more carcinogens than a few hours in a house with one person smoking.

Does your child's mother's friend give your child any food? Are you going to interfere and tell her your daughter can only eat organic locally produced vegetables? There are cancer risks all around the place and you can't protect your children from everything, and it would be an awful shame if your fears held her back from experiences that are otherwise positive. If your daughter isn't used to smoke, she probably naturally avoids her friends mother she she's smoking because it's unpleasant to be around.

Second hand smoke is low risk if there is only occasional exposure. Do you really want to jeopardise your daughters friendship for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Sirtoyou

Thanks for the replies and advice. All taken on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I alsways find this a strange argument. We're all entitled to do, and probably do do, anti-social things in our own homes but we don't tend to do them in front of guests. For example when I'm home alone I might walk around in my underwear, fart or burp freely. I surf the net, read, watch tv. But if I had a guest I wouldn't do those things. Being in your own home doesn't make it ok to do anti-social things in front of guests and smoking in an enclosed space with children is pretty anti-social nowadays.
    Akrasia wrote: »
    If the mother owned a diesel car or even had an open wood fire it's probably doing more harm to your child than her smoking is. if she had a barbeque, or if the kids went camping and sat next to a fire-pit your child would be exposed to far more carcinogens than a few hours in a house with one person smoking.

It's not just about risks though. Stinking of smoke is horrible in and of itself. It's a very unpleasant smell and it means the child may need her clothes and hair washed after a visit when they wouldn't have needed it otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

im sorry but any adult who smokes in any house including their own, with children present are being ignorent, selfish, irresponsible and are very very poor at parenting.

if my child was in a house with a parent smoking, they wouldnt be staying there long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

you're child won't be harmed by the smoke. The smell would be the worst.

unless the smell is desperate i'd forget about it and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

I think you are right to be concerned. Smoke doesn't just increase risk of cancer, it can make colds and flu worse. So that is one immediate reason to limit exposure. Also, I would be concerned that byy seeing a friend's mother smoking in her home, my child would begin to think smoking is a normal thing to do. As an ex-smoker who still would love a fag, I'm very against smoking being a normal part of life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Yes it is. That doesn't make it less irresponsible though and shows that the woman has a complete disregard for the welfare of her own and the OPs children. I would remove my child from the situation for their sake. Unfortunately there is little you can do for the other poor child.

I have to tell you taht my father smoked in the house while I was growing up, and for you to throw such judgemental comments around peoples character like they dont care about the welfare of the child, is callous in itself, not to mention sanctimononius and frankly wrong.

Notwithstanding, I have no doubt if it were a mother denying access to a non custodial parent on such grounds you'd have a completely different take on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I would be fearful you have too quickly overlooked the possibility of the child smoking herself.

I started smoking aged 9 myself, and a lot of smokers do start young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

zeffabelli wrote: »
    I have to tell you taht my father smoked in the house while I was growing up, and for you to throw such judgemental comments around peoples character like they dont care about the welfare of the child, is callous in itself, not to mention sanctimononius and frankly wrong.

Notwithstanding, I have no doubt if it were a mother denying access to a non custodial parent on such grounds you'd have a completely different take on this.

there is the modelling aspect to the 'behaviour too, afterall, why is it that children of parents who smoke are more likely to smoke when they grow up?

zeffabelli wrote: »

Depends on how old you are really. There was a certain level of ignorance (somewhat wilful) on the negative affects in the 70's and 80's but after that there really is no excuse. It shows that they care more for their own addiction than the welfare of the children who they know they are harming

im sorry but any adult who smokes in any house including their own, with children present are being ignorent, selfish, irresponsible and are very very poor at parenting.

My parents provided me with a very happy sound childhood and I did'nt end up murdering anybody. Yet according to you they were brutal at it just cos they smoked.
    Solid reasoning there.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,559 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

In my experience unless the woman gives up smoking and washes all carpets/furniture. Your daughter will probably still come home smelling of stale cigarette smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I think people should relax a bit. It's a play date every so often, she is not living there. I am not being apologetic and I do think smoking in the house with kids is irresponsible.

But the whole 'social services should take the child away' reaction is completely over the top. Parents getting drunk having 'a glass' of wine after kids go to bed are probably placing their kids in a lot more danger than couple of hours per week in a house of a smoker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I'd never ask someone not to smoke in their own home.

I would agree with those who have said that occasional exposure isn't going to be particularly harmful.

In your position, I'd just try to have the majority of play dates at your house or elsewhere (play centre, cinema, whatever.) And when she does go to the friend's house, stick her straight into the shower and her clothes into the wash when she gets home. A minor inconvenience really for the sake of continuing the friendship!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

donegal. wrote: »
    you're child won't be harmed by the smoke. The smell would be the worst.

unless the smell is desperate i'd forget about it and move on.

2nd hand smoke is full of toxins

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

My son is allergic to animals and comes home from his friends house with puffy eyes and short of breath due to their dog, we have mentioned it to the mother but he still comes home that way. Wouldn't dream of doing any more. It is just life. I can't really expect them to change their behaviour at home to accomodate my child and I wouldn't dream of stopping him seeing his friend over it. I wouldn't worry too much about second hand smoke, I remember the days my step-mother used to chain smoke in the car with the windows closed with 5 kids in the car. We're talking 10 hour trips here. Only 1 of us ended up smoking and none of us suffer any bad effects. She did this in the house too.

Advertisement