Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Awful mattress

Options
  • 01-10-2015 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just moved in to a new place yesterday and the mattress is unbearably uncomfortable, as in lying on it feels like lying on springs covered in a thin sheet of material.

Keeping it is not an option, but what I'm wondering is would it be out of line to ask the landlord to replace it with another one? Or is this something the tenant would be expected to bear the cost of themselves? As we've just moved in I'd like to keep on good terms with the landlord. I've suffered through some awful mattresses in my time but this one just can't be grin and beared.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

I'd ask for a replacement. Ask them to come around to see what you are talking about. I've done this before and it was replaced alright.

If you think about the cost of a mattress vs the rent you will be paying over the next year, it's not a big ask from a landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Is it a new mattress? I could be wrong but i think landlords are supposed to replace the old mattress before a new tenant moves in, was the case when i moved in to my place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Barely Hedged

Is it a new mattress? I could be wrong but i think landlords are supposed to replace the old mattress before a new tenant moves in, was the case when i moved in to my place.

You are wrong. A landlord is under no obligation to provide a new mattress

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

A mattress is the most important piece of furniture you have. Buy your own and get a good one. A landlord won't (and shouldn't) provide a good mattress as they are way too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Buy your own one, landlords get cheap ones , previous tenant could have pissed in it ever night among other things, you spend 33% of the day in it. Spend money , get a good one that you can take with you when you move out

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

No harm in telling the landlord that the mattress is crap. If they refuse to change move. Any landlord who won't provide a half decent mattress is going to be mean about everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

4ensic15 wrote:
    No harm in telling the landlord that the mattress is crap. If they refuse to change move. Any landlord who won't provide a half decent mattress is going to be mean about everything else.

Sorry but in my experience no landlord provides good may matresses.

Ask the landlord to remove the existing one and get your own that you've chosen to be comfortable for you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

A good mattress costs at a minimum €500 but more realistically you are talking about €1,000 plus. A landlord who gives that to a tenant will not survive long as a landlord. Mattress in rented accommodation is essentially a consumable item which should be cheap and replaced often. My bed and mattress have moved with me through 4 different rental properties.

Always laugh at people who spend huge money on a car where they spend an hour or so a day and scrimp on a mattress where they spend a third of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

We had this same problem and shopped around online and managed to find a second hand, but genuinely like new ergoflex mattress.
    It is a dream.
    The couple who had it were replacing to get a king size and I can understand why, the double is so good I would change up for the king size as soon as we have the money. They had all the original packaging and even delivered it to us. It was a great deal. They are out there!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

A mattress doesn't need to cost 500 or even 1K to be a good one. Harvey Norman have good deals all the time and I hear the ikea mattresses are not bad either.

Been renting for 6 years with my own mattress and there's no way I'd go back to sleeping on an awful pre-used one that landlords have.

Get your own, it should be the standard IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

Ask the landlord to remove the existing one and get your own that you've chosen to be comfortable for you.
    The landlord is under no obligation to remove the existing mattress either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Hi all,

Just moved in to a new place yesterday and the mattress is unbearably uncomfortable, as in lying on it feels like lying on springs covered in a thin sheet of material.

Keeping it is not an option, but what I'm wondering is would it be out of line to ask the landlord to replace it with another one? Or is this something the tenant would be expected to bear the cost of themselves? As we've just moved in I'd like to keep on good terms with the landlord. I've suffered through some awful mattresses in my time but this one just can't be grin and beared.[/q

When we moved into our current place, the matress was terribly uncomfortable. My sister in law gave us a great tip. Get a duvet. Place it over the mattress and tuck it in around the edges. Then put on your matress sheet. Made such a difference and very comfortable. Will do you until you decide what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

The landlord is under no obligation to remove the existing mattress either.

Of course, But you can ask, hence why I used the word 'Ask' and not 'Tell'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

You can be sure a landlord is deducting 12.5% from his tax liabilities for the cost of his furniture, and will continue to do so once he buys a new one.

Demand a new one OP, the landlord can well afford it and can offset the cost against his tax liabilities at 12.5% per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

Of course, But you can ask, hence why I used the word 'Ask' and not 'Tell'.

You can ask Irish landlords a lot of things, the reality of your request being met in entirely another matter. My experience is that they have been hesitant to remove the crap they pass off as furniture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

lima wrote: »
    You can be sure a landlord is deducting 12.5% from his tax liabilities for the cost of his furniture, and will continue to do so once he buys a new one.

Demand a new one OP, the landlord can well afford it and can offset the cost against his tax liabilities at 12.5% per year.

lol

OP Buy a mattress that suits your needs

How do you know what the financial position of the landlord is?
    I would be more inclined to expense a mattress rather than claim capital allowances on it.
    Being 'demanding' in a new tenancy is a high risk strategy considering the tenant does not have part 4 rights yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Barely Hedged

Assuming the mattress has a life span of 8 years.

In a rental property, you must be joking - regardless of the cost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I've asked before and got one. I'm not a fan of asking for things in places I rent though. It was the only contact I had with the landlord in 4.5 years.

On moving out I got a letter thanking me for keeping the place so well.

I'm using an ikea one now. It's good and not super expensive. I tried a mattress topper also and it was pretty good.

Some are of course. Not sure what that has to do with a mattress though ;)

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Some are of course. Not sure what that has to do with a mattress though ;)

The tenant is requesting that the landlord adheres to the Housing (Standards for Rented Houses) Regulations 2008

The landlord has a legal duty to make sure that a home meets certain minimum physical standards. Furnishings must be maintained in good condition and repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Being 'demanding' in a new tenancy is a high risk strategy considering the tenant does not have part 4 rights yet

If they have a lease they are protected by it for the term of these lease, Part 4 doesn't give extra protection over a lease in most cases unless there is a get out clause in the lease itself.

OP: Get a mattress yourself, and keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

Thanks for all the replies folks, you've beem very helpful.

So it seems the consensus is to buy a new mattress. Usually I would consider this, only I'm not sure how long we're going to be in this place as our lease is only 6 months. If we were to decide to move again after that, hauling a mattress around wouldn't exactly be ideal.

I agree with the posters saying not to demand things at the start of a new tenancy. My strategy was going to be more like timidly ask and see where I got!

I quite liked the idea someone mentioned of putting a duvet between the mattress and bedsheets, we'll probably give that one a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

The Landlord is not your mom or dad.

Because the Mattress is uncomfortable for the OP doesn't mean it would be uncomfortable for someone else.

Good Mattresses are a luxury, not a necessity.

*Rings landlord do demand recliners to replace my chairs*

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Polo_Mint wrote: »

Because the Mattress is uncomfortable for the OP doesn't mean it would be uncomfortable for someone else.

I had this thought myself. Tenant doesn't like the sofas provided or their comfort so asks for new ones. But sure, the landlord "can afford it".

Polo_Mint wrote: »

Mattresses become uncomfortable because of wear and tear.

See post 23 and get back to me with something constructive

*Goes back to my Irish 'mam' for a cup of tea*

Thanks for all the replies folks, you've beem very helpful.

So it seems the consensus is to buy a new mattress. Usually I would consider this, only I'm not sure how long we're going to be in this place as our lease is only 6 months. If we were to decide to move again after that, hauling a mattress around wouldn't exactly be ideal.

I agree with the posters saying not to demand things at the start of a new tenancy. My strategy was going to be more like timidly ask and see where I got!

I quite liked the idea someone mentioned of putting a duvet between the mattress and bedsheets, we'll probably give that one a go.

You have every right to request things if they are not up to legal standards. Be demanding, you are paying high costs for a service.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Dublin21

If its clearly an old mattress that has been 'used and abused' I would at least ask the question of the landlord!

If the property is advertised as 'Furnished' you would expect to have some level of comfort when using those items.

If a landlord is not willing to replace items which are clearly old and unusable then they should get rid of them and either advertise as unfurnished or 'in need of own bed' etc..

When we moved into our current rental property the 2nd bedroom had a mattress that had a bit of duct tape securing one of he corners as it was ripped.
    We got a new one when we pointed that out.
    Some will, some won't - no harm to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭musicfan1ie

The well afford it bit made me laugh. I rent out a place and I have to subsidise it about €400 a month on top of tenants rent, to cover mortgage, management company charge, management agent fees,other expenses and tax.

And I don't do it as a way to make money. I bought in 2005 and then, had to relocate to England for work. So now I have the pleasure of paying rent in England and subsidising my mortgage.

Yeah, I love spending my spare money on the property, because all landlords are so clearly minted!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ted1 wrote: »
    Spend money , get a good one that you can take with you when you move out
    This. There may be nothing wrong with the current mattress, and the replacement may be the same. Check out beds.ie

Advertisement