Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Awful mattress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

If you're stuck you could try and buy a mattress topper that may act as a bit of a buffer for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

When I was living in privately rented accommodation, I immediately went out and bought my own mattress.
    It cost €800 and is the best thing I ever bought.

My LL removed his bed on my request and now I'm living somewhere else, I have my mattress with me.

As a previous poster mentioned, it's best to pick your own mattress and sleep in comfort and take it with you..it's hardly a big hassle to move and in the end it's an investment in your sleep quality and overall health.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Get a memory foam topper, they'll make almost any mattress comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

lima wrote: »
    You have every right to request things if they are not up to legal standards. Be demanding, you are paying high costs for a service.

when quoting legal standards you need to provide reference to them. if they do exist, they are often misinterpreted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

ted1 wrote: »
    when quoting legal standards you need to provide reference to them. if they do exist, they are often misinterpreted.

Again, read post 23.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Again, read post 23.

Post 23 has no reference to an uncomfortable mattress.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Think it would be fair to ask him to either replace the mattress or remove it so you can get your own.

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Post 23 has no reference to an uncomfortable mattress.

It's sometimes hard to assess whether posters have a grasp on the ability to figure things out, nevertheless I will assume you do and you are just trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

It's sometimes hard to assess whether posters have a grasp on the ability to figure things out, nevertheless I will assume you do and you are just trolling.

im not trolling

By your logic, Post 23 would mean when a light bulb blows the landlord is responsible for replacing it.

Did you demand payment for light bulbs when you were a tenant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

im not trolling

By your logic, Post 23 would mean when a light bulb blows the landlord is responsible for replacing it.

A lightbulb is not a furnishing. The problem is that we have people paying 15 thousand euro a year to live in accommodation furnished with utter junk fit only for a skip and many landlords who whinge and moan when you ask them to remove the junk so you can put decent furnishings in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

OP, talk to the landlord; Ultimately, it's their interest as well to keep the property in good conditions, and a mattress is part of it. Whenever I am looking for a new place, one of the things I would do is...test the bed(s), even if the agents look at me like I was a gray alien.

Most likely, the current mattress is simply worn out and a new one will be there for the length of your tenancy, the next one, and then the next one and so on. A decent mattress doesn't have to cost 1000 Euro, there are much cheaper options - they won't be the best, but certainly better than a worn one.

Alternatively, you need to be prepared to just buy a new one and leave it in the property when you leave. I ended up doing something similar with the one really bad landlord I encountered this far - I replaced and/or repaired multiple broken or worn items out of my pocket, as he would just ignore any request/warning. It might be a small price to pay for your own comfort.

Having a "personal" mattress you drag around to rented properties can be a big hindrance - many if not most landlords will be unable to just "remove" stuff from the apartment or house, just because they'd have nowhere to store big items. And I guess you don't wanna live a few years with the old mattress wrapped in plastic and propped up against a wall...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Just as you have the ability to figure out that landlords can the deduct the price of mattresses from their ample profits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

,,, Furnishings must be maintained in good condition and repair.

That could simply be a new one, or used one that's not damages. Comfort is subjective.

H...Just moved in to a new place yesterday and the mattress is unbearably uncomfortable, as in lying on it feels like lying on springs covered in a thin sheet of material....

It can have failed internally. But if theres nothing wrong with it, a landlord might not be obliged to change it, but its a reasonable request. A LL should consider it, and facilitate if appropriate.

im not trolling

It's not logic, I'm quoting law. You're trying to be smart, but you're not.

When my shower broke my landlord replaced it.

emeldc wrote: »
    Just as you have the ability to figure out that landlords can the deduct the price of mattresses from their ample profits.

I didn't figure it out, it's well documented.

beauf wrote: »
    That could simply be a new one, or used one that's not damages. Comfort is subjective.

Perhaps. Not many new ones are designed with no comfort in mind though.

Comfort is subjective to a point. We are all humans so comfort can easily be assessed in this situation.

Perhaps. Not many new ones are designed with no comfort in mind though.

Comfort is subjective to a point. We are all humans so comfort can easily be assessed in this situation.

Comfort isn't specified in the legal requirement, though. I've certainly bought a cheap new mattress and found it so uncomfortable to be usable by me. But others have slept on it and found it not as bad.

So this issue isn't about the legal requirement, but retaining a good tenant, and a good tenant/LL relationship.

beauf wrote: »
    Comfort isn't specified in the legal requirement, though. I've certainly bought a cheap new mattress and found it so uncomfortable to be usable by me. But others have slept on it and found it not as bad.

So this issue isn't about the legal requirement, but retaining a good tenant, and a good tenant/LL relationship.

Furnishings must be maintained in good condition though, which, due to lack of elaboration in law, is subjective. Nonetheless, the OP would have a case to argue as they are the person sleeping on it and paying for the service. Perhaps a mediator with authority can get involved.

Depending on the wear and tear involved, it will be easy to spot a mattress in bad condition. Springs may be protruding or at least are more obvious when compared to a new version of the same model of mattress. The color will be faded. There may be stains. If the OP can not determine the quality, despite for example a second opinion of a local authority representative, then they will have a weak case to argue.

If the landlord refuses, the tenant can ask the local authority to make the landlord comply.

Furnishings must be maintained in good condition though, which, due to lack of elaboration in law, is subjective. Nonetheless, the OP would have a case to argue as they are the person sleeping on it and paying for the service. Perhaps a mediator with authority can get involved.

Depending on the wear and tear involved, it will be easy to spot a mattress in bad condition. Springs may be protruding or at least are more obvious when compared to a new version of the same model of mattress. The color will be faded. There may be stains. If the OP can not determine the quality, despite for example a second opinion of a local authority representative, then they will have a weak case to argue.

If the landlord refuses, the tenant can ask the local authority to make the landlord comply.

.....or the LL could just tell him to pack his bags and live somewhere else. Are you for real? A second opinion from the local authority?

emeldc wrote: »
    .....or the LL could just tell him to pack his bags and live somewhere else. Are you for real? A second opinion from the local authority?

Is utilizing your legal rights frowned upon or something?

A person pays for a service, the service is not up to legal standards. The person seeks to address this. Am I missing something? You seems startled..

There's no need to be hostile towards me, all I am doing is saying what the law says, and trying to interpret it for the benefit of the OP.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

http://www.environ.ie/en/legislation/DevelopmentandHousing/housing/FileDownLoad,19142,en.pdf

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/Housing/FileDownLoad,33422,en.pdf

http://www.environ.ie/en/Legislation/DevelopmentandHousing/Housing/FileDownLoad,21710,en.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 F412

Have you tried flipping it over OP? The last place I was in the mattress wasnt great was probably 10 years+ old and slept on my multiple different people (houseshare). So I flipped it over and it did me ok then as the LL most likely wouldn't have replaced it and I wasn't going spending money on it.

Current place I reckon my mattress is many years old too and I've no idea how many different housemates have slept on it but its actually in decent condition and fairly comfy so does me fine.

I'd be slow to spend my money on a mattress in a place I was renting as who knows what the next place you move to will be like, will it fit, what size bed etc. Id be waiting till I owned my own place before investing in a mattress.

Furnishings must be maintained in good condition though, which, due to lack of elaboration in law, is subjective....

Good condition and repair is not subjective. But that's the only requirement.
    ...A person pays for a service, the service is not up to legal standards. T...

There isn't a legal standard for comfort.

Again, read post 23.

I have read post #23 and there is no reference.

Now here is a link : http://www.environ.ie/en/legislation/DevelopmentandHousing/housing/FileDownLoad,19142,en.pdf

now please point out the section and paragraph that you are referring to.

It's not logic, I'm quoting law. You're trying to be smart, but you're not.

When my shower broke my landlord replaced it.

your not quoting law. To quote law you must refer to the section of law.

your duck and diving the question been asked. you through out the name of a piece of legislation but can't point out the applicable section.

I'm not being hostile. You're generalising that Landlords make a profit and can 'afford it'. They don't. I am one so I know. I also know of a few accidental Landlords in Dublin who have to get the best price available for their 2 bed apt to put to the rent of a 3 bed semi for their growing family. I can guarantee you they're not making a profit.
    Maybe the mattress is in bits, who knows, only the OP and the LL can work that one out. But by your thinking it should be changed simply because the OP says it's uncomfortable for him. If that was the case the LL could end up changing the mattress every year with each new tenant.
    For example, I changed a double mattress for a tenant who asked for one. The old one was 6 years old, so I didn't mind and they are good tenants. I bought one in Ikea for €110 which I would assume is good enough for most. The tenant was delighted with it but had they found it uncomfortable would I have bought them another one? I don't think so.

I have read post #23 and there is no reference.

Now here is a link : http://www.environ.ie/en/legislation/DevelopmentandHousing/housing/FileDownLoad,19142,en.pdf

now please point out the section and paragraph that you are referring to.

Please refer to the amendment here:

http://www.environ.ie/en/Legislation/DevelopmentandHousing/Housing/FileDownLoad,21710,en.pdf

Section 2 (c)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Is utilizing your legal rights frowned upon or something?

A person pays for a service, the service is not up to legal standards. The person seeks to address this. Am I missing something? You seems startled..

There's no need to be hostile towards me, all I am doing is saying what the law says, and trying to interpret it for the benefit of the OP.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

http://www.environ.ie/en/legislation/DevelopmentandHousing/housing/FileDownLoad,19142,en.pdf

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/Housing/FileDownLoad,33422,en.pdf

In the first link that you provided (which I presume you read) there is a list of things which a landlord must supply. A mattress, or even a bed, is not on that list so I would take that as meaning that supplying either of these is not a legal requirement.

your not quoting law. To quote law you must refer to the section of law.

your duck and diving the question been asked. you through out the name of a piece of legislation but can't point out the applicable section.

I am asking you, as a grown adult, to look at the quoted documentation yourself. Granted, there is an amendment, but further research would have enlightened you to it.

Please explain where I have been 'ducking' and 'diving' the question? Are you having an argument with yourself or something?

http://www.environ.ie/en/Legislation...d,21710,en.pdf

Section 2 (c)

aido79 wrote: »
    In the first link that you provided (which I presume you read) there is a list of things which a landlord must supply. A mattress, or even a bed, is not on that list so I would take that as meaning that supplying either of these is not a legal requirement.

Yeah I was thinking that, certainly open to interpenetration. The way I see it is like this:

If the landlord does not supply a bed, then he can't get in trouble for supplying one on bad condition.

If the landlord does supply a bed, then he is responsible for maintaining it in good condition and repair.

This does mean the landlord could just take the bed out and tell the OP to go **** himself :pac:

Perhaps someone with experience in this situation can add in a constructive comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I am asking you, as a grown adult, to look at the quoted documentation yourself. Granted, there is an amendment, but further research would have enlightened you to it.

Please explain where I have been 'ducking' and 'diving' the question? Are you having an argument with yourself or something?

http://www.environ.ie/en/Legislation...d,21710,en.pdf

Section 2 (c)

Is it hard to just copy out the relevant section?

(
    c
    ) in Article 5, by substituting for sub-article (2) the following:
    “(2) For the purposes of sub-article (1) ‘a proper state of structural
    repair’ means sound, internally and externally, with roof, roofing tiles
    and slates, windows, floors, ceilings, walls, stairs, doors, skirting boards,
    fascia, tiles on any floor, ceiling and wall, gutters, down pipes, fittings,
    furnishings, gardens and common areas maintained in good condition
    and repair and not defective due to dampness or otherwise.”,

^^ The OP hasn't indicated the mattress is not in good repair.

Advertisement