Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Awful mattress

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

^^ The OP hasn't indicated the mattress is not in good repair.
    Well he has, hence the thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Well he has, hence the thread...

No, he said its very uncomfortable. That doesn't mean its not in good repair as comfort is subjective. If its in bad repair the LL should replace it, if its just not comfortable to the OP the LL may or may not replace it but is under no obligation.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Option 1 - ask the landlord nicely to replace the mattress.

Option 2 - ask the landlord what he would normally pay for a mattress & ask if you can add to it for a better one. You may be able to take it with you.

Option 3 - ask the landlord to remove the mattress & buy a reasonably priced one for yourself. I bought a very comfortable one recently reduced to €230 & there are cheaper out there.

As always in boards - pages of chat & discussion when the simple thing to do is speak to the landlord & come to a mutually agreeable decision. It doesn't have to be confrontational.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Mattress is a tough one. Friend spent over a thousand on a mattress and loved it. I couldn't sleep on it and slept on the floor instead. Comfort is very subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

OP here again, thanks for all the replies, I appreciate all your input.

A lot of posters here are under the impression that I'm complaining about the mattress because I want one that's particularly comfy, but that's not the case. As I said in my OP, I've lived in many rented houses and have had slept on quite a lot of not so comfy mattresses. This is fine by me, I understand that It's the nature of renting, I don't expect luxury, the basic bare necessities are fine by me.

This mattress is different though in that I think it's the way it is because it's well worn, possibly very old. The springs are protruding right out; I seriously doubt you can buy a mattress that uncomfortable, regardless of cheapness, which leads me to believe it's due to wear and tear.

As for comfort being objective, I can't imagine anyone finding this mattress comfortable, unless they enjoy lying on springs.

I'm still hesitant to mention anything to the landlord though due to people's opinions here and being a chronic confrontation avoider.

• Advertisement

April 73 wrote: »

As always in boards - pages of chat & discussion when the simple thing to do is speak to the landlord & come to a mutually agreeable decision. It doesn't have to be confrontational.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. Maybe asking him is the best thing, I just feel bad troubling him when we've just moved in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I don't doubt its bad. And it's reasonable to ask for something useable. Just to be aware its a bit of grey area. A charm offensive might go a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. Maybe asking him is the best thing, I just feel bad troubling him when we've just moved in.

It's all to do with how you approach it. The worst the LL can say is no. Start by saying you're really pleased with the place & everything is great except for one small problem - the mattress is very bad. Ask the LL face to face - it's harder to say no face to face than it is by text or email. Go on the charm offensive. It's not a confrontation - you're just asking for something relatively small - especially if it is old & worn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Maybe just buy a cheap topper for now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

beauf wrote: »
    I don't doubt its bad. And it's reasonable to ask for something useable. Just to be aware its a bit of grey area. A charm offensive might go a long way.

Exactly this. A bit of politeness and harmonious communication will go a long long way with getting what you want.
    Demand a new one OP
    And this is exactly what not to do. As with any dealing or transaction between two parties, the way to reach an agreement is certainly not for either side to "demand" anything. It's a sure fire way to put the landlords back up and sour the relationship.

OP, we always buy the hafslo mattress from Ikea for any rentals, never had any complaints about it and it's only €110 if you had to buy it yourself. If you only use it for the six months of the lease and don't want to bring it to your next home put it on adverts and get a few quid back.

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/mattresses/mattresses-toppers/hafslo-sprung-mattress-firm-beige-art-00258052/

• Advertisement

Did you try turning it over?

Did you try turning it over?

And on this note I feel a bit silly. :o

We kind of assumed that the other side would be just as bad if the guy who lived here before us had never bothered to turn it. We turned it tonight though and I must say it's much better! Not wonderful, but definitely sleep-able.

We might still put a duvet under the sheet to make it more comfortable, but thankfully there's no need to go troubling the landlord now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

maggiepip wrote: »
    Get a memory foam topper, they'll make almost any mattress comfortable.

Big time.
    Argos- and even Ikea- sell these at very reasonable prices.
    They are indispensable.
    Even the cheaper ones are very effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Jaketherake

I dont supply mattresses anymore. for several reasons.

no two people are ever happy with the same mattress, no matter how expensive.

people always remove the protectors of the mattresses and put them back on before they leave. always.

I would never sleep on a used mattress in a rental myself. a friend worked for a testing company years ago and pointed out to me the stuff that is on mattresses. it would make your skin crawl. From semen and other bodily fluids to skin, hair, sh1t, piss, sweat, saliva, puss from sores, athletes foot and other fungi, blood and many more. and you can't see it most of the time, but its there. I have even asked for another room in a hotel once when I saw the mattress.

I wouldn't put that on my tenants, but quality I'm not buying a new mattress for every letting as I would only buying the cheapest and nobody wants that.

So when letting there are beds but no mattresses. Any clean and self respecting tenant understands why they must get their own and some walk away too. but it works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Mattresses were traditionally supplied by landlords, however, the new tier of tenants (ie families, long term rentors (like myself)), tend to have our own furniture and if we can't find unfurnished property, we will ask the landlord to store the 'furnishings' elsewhere.
    Rental property furnishings tend to be sourced from the free sections of 'done deal', 'gumtree' or 'adverts' in my experience, and understandably so. They will meet min requirements, but as time goes on and we move towards the international norm of tenants providing their own furniture, we'll see more and more properties let 'unfurnished'.
    If I was OP, i'd ask landlord if (s)he would store the mattress and buy a decent one, otherwise the topper option is an excellent alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Plus, OP, if you get a mattress topper, spills and stains are not an issue, as the topper tends to mop up all the spill.

I'm not saying you'll stain the mattress but anyone can get ill from, er, either end, or indeed you could just spill tea or toiletries on it and once a mattress is stained, you'll be replacing it when you move out. Unfortunately my mattress is stained in my rental but I just have accepted I'll be replacing it when I go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

ted1 wrote: »
    your not quoting law. To quote law you must refer to the section of law.

your duck and diving the question been asked. you through out the name of a piece of legislation but can't point out the applicable section.

Have you been able to read the legislation I provided or were you just trolling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

lima wrote: »
    Have you been able to read the legislation I provided or were you just trolling?

Broad legislation open to interpretation and no means of enforcing it? Like most Laws on Ireland, its just another thing on paper with no means of enforcing. The PRTB have bigger fish to fry and the courts will laugh at you for trying to enforce this.

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Broad legislation open to interpretation and no means of enforcing it? Like most Laws on Ireland, its just another thing on paper with no means of enforcing. The PRTB have bigger fish to fry and the courts will laugh at you for trying to enforce this.

In my opinion it's not really broad. It's quite specific to rental dwellings. I find it somewhat easy to interpret: Furnishings should be maintained in good condition and repair.

The local authority is responsible for enforcing this law.

The OP would have a legal right though, and what the landlord would be doing by refusing would be illegal/unlawful/against the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The OP didn't original offer any information other than it was uncomfortable.

They have since clarified that its, actually "old & worn". On that basis you would be entitled to ask for it to be replaced.

But the LL can buy supply a new one that may also be uncomfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Sorry but in my experience no landlord provides good may matresses.

Ask the landlord to remove the existing one and get your own that you've chosen to be comfortable for you.

I did . Never again. Tenant liked them so much I never seen them again after they moved out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

lima wrote: »
    In my opinion it's not really broad. It's quite specific to rental dwellings. I find it somewhat easy to interpret: Furnishings should be maintained in good condition and repair.

The local authority is responsible for enforcing this law.

The OP would have a legal right though, and what the landlord would be doing by refusing would be illegal/unlawful/against the law.

So they should enforce a spoiled mattress, while with their limited resources they should ignore more important issues like rented accommodation with lack of fire blankets, fire alarms etc. Items that are of actual concern and importance. They turn a blind eye to petty planning BS. Why would they enforce something trivial like this?

newacc2015 wrote: »
    So they should enforce a spoiled mattress, while with their limited resources they should ignore more important issues like rented accommodation with lack of fire blankets, fire alarms etc. Items that are of actual concern and importance. They turn a blind eye to petty planning BS. Why would they enforce something trivial like this?

It is the law.

Advertisement