Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lamb Ragu

Options
  • 01-10-2015 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm planning on making a slow cooked lamb ragu.

What is the best cut of meat, lamb shoulder or lamb shank or some other cut?

Also has anybody got any tips on making the best dish possible!?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved to Cooking & Recipes.

I'd go for shoulder of lamb for this. There's no reason why shanks wouldn't work well either - their flavour will probably be a bit stronger, but the texture may not work quite as good as the shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I make ragus a fair bit in the winter, they're perfect comfort food packed with flavour. I start the casserole dish on the hob and sweat down diced onion, carrots and garlic with diced celery too if I have it. While thats sweating over a medium heat I brown the meat for a few minutes before adding to the casserole dish. Then I deglaze the pan using red wine if I have it or just a bit of beef stock if not. The liquids go in the casserole followed by two tins of tomatoes and its brought to a rolling simmer. I also add a couple of bay leaves and/or dried rosemary. From there it goes into a 150c oven for 2.5-3hrs, I stir it after 1.5hrs to see how much liquid has cooked into the meat and judge from there how long its got to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Ryan Mac Sweeney

Hi there
    The best cut of lamb for a ragu would definitely be shoulder. Ask your butcher to mince it for you. Then for th

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Ryan Mac Sweeney

Hi there
    The best cut of lamb for lamb ragu would definitely be shoulder of lamb. For the recipe first of all a casserole dish if you have one if not then a heavy based saucepan will do instead. First heat a tablespoon of oil in it then add in chopped onion, garlic, celery, carrots and mushrooms and sweat these down. While they are frying off brown the meat in batches being careful not to overcrowd the pan. Then add in the vegetables and meat together and then deglaze the pan with either some red wine or beef stock. Then add in a can of chopped tomatoes and about a tablespoon of tomato puree. Then place the casserole dish into a preheated oven and let it cook away for about 3-3.5hrs stirring after about 1.5hrs to see how much liquid has been absorbed. The oven should be preheated to the lowest setting possible before it goes in. Just before serving boil some spaghetti or whatever pasta you have cooked in a saucepan of boiling salted water cooked according to the packet instructions. Then serve and enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd also recommend the shoulder, on the bone, , cut into cubes by the butcher. Shoulder is quite fatty and needs a good trimming before cooking. If you got a shoulder minced, without careful trimming it would be crazy fatty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

Thanks for the replies. I was planning on putting it whole or in two into a slow cooker.

Is it better to get it cubed by the butcher instead? If so, why?

Thanks

Advertisement