Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batch Cooking

Options
  • 01-10-2015 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

Cook on a sunday and a Wednesday but sick of having chili or chicken and broccoli. any other good bulk meal ideas

Cheers in Advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

Lasagna, risotto, mince with veg/ sauce, thai curry, meatballs/meatloaf, quiche, soups

All depends what macros (if any) are you after, do you have option to reheat your food?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭kod12

Cheers for that. high protein moderate fat and low carb.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Turkey/beef stew with carrots, onions, celery and mushrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Shepherds Pie always tastes great after a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Chicken fajitas
    Tacos
    Chicken, sweet potato, snap peas with plenty of seasoning
    Tuna and mayonnaise sandwhiches
    Nuts with plenty of fruit
    Chilli con carne
    Lasagne

• Advertisement

once cooked, how long in the fridge would chicken breasts last?

also I batch bake sweet potato but after two days it's not great. maybe I'm overcooking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

rusty cole wrote: »
    once cooked, how long in the fridge would chicken breasts last?

also I batch bake sweet potato but after two days it's not great. maybe I'm overcooking them.

I'd often cook a load of chicken breasts and keep them in a Tubaware Container in the fridge up to 3 or 4 days

yea I was thinking that alright, at least 3 days no including day of cooking.

Much obliged to you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

[font=Roboto, sans-serif]I go 4 days red meat, 3 days white meat [/font]

[font=Roboto, sans-serif]bulk chicken dishes are tough. [/font]

[font=Roboto, sans-serif]anyone got any slow cooker chicken dishes?[/font]

I'd be interested in what freezes well too.

I try to batch cook, but it needs to be done twice weekly, I'd love to find loads of food that freezes well that I could cook on Sunday and still be fed on Friday.

• Advertisement

I'd be interested in what freezes well too.

I try to batch cook, but it needs to be done twice weekly, I'd love to find loads of food that freezes well that I could cook on Sunday and still be fed on Friday.

Anything mince-based has always worked well for me. I usually cook on Sunday for Monday-Thursday at least and straight-up mince (well, with chopped tomatoes, veg, garlic etc) or something like a chilli still comes out well on a Thursday or Friday.

Anything mince-based has always worked well for me. I usually cook on Sunday for Monday-Thursday at least and straight-up mince (well, with chopped tomatoes, veg, garlic etc) or something like a chilli still comes out well on a Thursday or Friday.

I'm with the OP on this, I'm so over chilli :P

Do coconut milk based curries freeze well?

I'm with the OP on this, I'm so over chilli :P

Lah-de-dah.

I wouldn't think microwaving coconut milk does it any favours because it'd probably split.

Yeh, I was thinking the same for the slow cooker too, it would be manky by the time I got home.

Stupid.

I want a personal chef.

Yeh, I was thinking the same for the slow cooker too, it would be manky by the time I got home.

Stupid.

I want a personal chef.

My Dad makes stews and chicken casseroles a good bit. Sometimes to freeze and sometimes he just puts it on in the morning to have that evening and the next day, if he's short on time. No mankiness, says he.

My Dad makes stews and chicken casseroles a good bit. Sometimes to freeze and sometimes he just puts it on in the morning to have that evening and the next day, if he's short on time. No mankiness, says he.

Oh yeh, no sorry I meant the coconut milk would go mank in the slow cooker.

Stews and casseroles are perfect in it - and anything tomato based.

i am sick of mince

guile4582 wrote: »
    i am sick of mince

What do you normally do with it? Do you just make mince and X or do you try different things?

chilli
    traditional spag ball
    meatballs

with brown rice, with wholewheat pasta, just with salad

I refuse to use jars, i use spices and chopped toms and some puree.

I would prefer a nice chicken dish instead, but besides a curry or stir fry can't seem to think of something nice and bulky using chicken

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yeah, they freeze well imo. I'm having one for lunch right now.
    Lah-de-dah.

I wouldn't think microwaving coconut milk does it any favours because it'd probably split.
    Splitting isn't a big issue with coconut milk as it doesn't curdle badly like dairy cream. Coconut milk is often split/separated in the can to begin with. Stirring emulsifies it again. Same if it splits with cooking, re-heated. Remove the heat and stir to emulsify. Ditto for slow cooker.
    If microwave, just stir it a few times to heat evenly, don't have frozen centre and boiling edges.

• Advertisement

Excellent! Thanks Mellor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Mellor wrote: »
    Yeah, they freeze well imo. I'm having one for lunch right now.

Splitting isn't a big issue with coconut milk as it doesn't curdle badly like dairy cream. Coconut milk is often split/separated in the can to begin with. Stirring emulsifies it again. Same if it splits with cooking, re-heated. Remove the heat and stir to emulsify. Ditto for slow cooker.
    If microwave, just stir it a few times to heat evenly, don't have frozen centre and boiling edges.

Amen. Coconut milk curries are just as good as chilli for freezing and reheating. As is the case with chilli you get some extra water after defrosting but just pour it off or let it mix with your rice or whatever.

anyone recommend a batch white meat meal that I can prepare tonight.

please post link or recipe if possible

i like spice!

my head is just addled trying to think of you (you know how it goes!)

dont say curry, had that all week

guile4582 wrote: »
    anyone recommend a batch white meat meal that I can prepare tonight.

please post link or recipe if possible

i like spice!

my head is just addled trying to think of you (you know how it goes!)

dont say curry, had that all week

Chicken casserole.

Easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Have made many a coconut-milk-based curry in the slow cooker... no separation issues

Advertisement