Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walker LCD TV sound but no screen

• 01-10-2015 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

My TV screen just suddenly went black while watching it yesterday. I have sound but no picture. I turn the TV on and off again and the screen was still black but there was a little popping noise too.

From a quick google, it sounds like the back light is gone.

Can anyone advise what the problem is and is it worth fixing? It out of warranty by a few months and Powercity where I brought it said that I could drop it into them for their engineers to look at but it would cost me €40 just to have them assess it and than quote me to fix it. So if it turns out that the cost of fixing it is more than a new unit I am €40 down + a new TV.

Anyone got any advise for me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

I would first confirm that it is a problem with the backlight only, as opposed to the panel being dead altogether. Power on the TV, turn it to any channel and then shine a torch on the screen. You should be able to make out the image on screen. If you can make out the image on screen, this will confirm that the main board is working, the LCD panel is working, and that it is just the backlighting system is not working.

The backlighting system you can break in to two blocks:
    - The CCFL lamps, of which there will be about probably ten or more.
    - The inverter circuit which drives the CCFL lamps.
    Either could be faulty.

If the CCFL lamps are bad, you need to replace the entire LCD panel (not worth it). If the inverter board is bad you might be able to buy a replacement online. You might get lucky and find that the issue is due to a bulging capacitor.

Either way, if I was a gambling man, I wouldnt give it to the shop. It's most likely it is an issue with one of the lamps, and that they will quote you for an LCD panel, which will probably be more expensive than buying a new TV. And you would lose 40 euro + trip to shop fuel + time & hassle getting the TV there and back...

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

Thanks for the advice PeterTheEighth. I took it onboard and went to buy a new unit last night and decided to drop into the shop to see if they had any deals which weren't online, only to be told by the sales guy that it is actually still under warranty, so they have now taken it and will either fix or replace depending on the problem.

A little annoyed by the fact I rang the store yesterday morning and was told it was out of warranty only to be told differently in store, it was only by chance that I dropped into the place to see if they had any deals on-sale as I was going buy a new one in a different shop, so basically if I didn't by chance mention it to the sales guys I would be down a few hundred euro..the shop's response to this was to shrug their shoulders and say these things happen. Disappointed as they are usually very good with their customer service and returns policy.

But hopefully and new or fixed TV will be coming my way shortly. All's well that ends well!

Again thanks for the advice!

Advertisement