Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheesecloth/muslin - where to buy?

Options
  • 01-10-2015 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

I have a demi-john of my first batch of (joe's ancient orange) mead ready. I want to strain it before bottling to clear out the sediment. Lots of online guides refer to using cheesecloth/muslin as a strainer - is there anywhere in Dublin that would sell 'food grade' quality muslin as opposed to just standard 'craft' fabric?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Greyjoy wrote: »
    I have a demi-john of my first batch of (joe's ancient orange) mead ready. I want to strain it before bottling to clear out the sediment. Lots of online guides refer to using cheesecloth/muslin as a strainer - is there anywhere in Dublin that would sell 'food grade' quality muslin as opposed to just standard 'craft' fabric?

It's the one thing I find hard to find in B and M shops. I've got mine online before (but only makes sense if ordering with other stuff).
    In a pinch I've made do with spit cloths we bought for our kids when they were babes. (Well washed before hand obviously :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Stock on South King Street sells cheesecloth.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

I picked up a load of it in a dressmakers shop in Galway, worked out about €2 per square meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Home focus also sell it and cheap too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Thanks for all the suggestions - I nipped into Stock near Stephens Green shopping centre and got some muslin to strain the mead. I've stuck the mead in the shed to chill it down a little to help it clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 alpgucbilmez

Not for beer but for cheese I use IKEA's tea towels.
    I also used them for straining fat from suet. Works fine for me. It is not expensive either.

Advertisement