Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning a suite of furniture with no receipt

Options
  • 01-10-2015 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

My mam bought a 3-1-1 suite of furniture from a well known shop in June of this year. It was a cheap enough suite at €800.

It is very poor quality and extremely uncomfortable. She says when she is sitting on it feels like she is sinking almost to the floor and is suffering from leg pains as a result. It is so bad she has resorted to bringing in a kitchen stool to sit on rather than sit on the sofa.

So we want to return it but the problem is she cannot find the receipt. I paid for it on my credit card so we know the date of purchase etc. Will she be entitled to a refund or even store credit?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'd be surprised if theywould take it back after four months tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

It took your mother 16 weeks to decide it's not the sofa for her and she wants her money back.
    I can't see a happy ending here.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You cant return something just because you don't want it. They dont have to take it back. It must be not as described, not of merchantable quality, or faulty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

pinkyponk2 wrote: »
    It is very poor quality and extremely uncomfortable. She says when she is sitting on it feels like she is sinking almost to the floor and is suffering from leg pains as a result.

If there is a fault with the suite e.g. broken springs causing the cushions to sink, your mother can ask the retailer to rectify the problem.

From the information you've given so far your mother has no rights to a refund or a credit note and is unlikely to get one from the retailer after 4 months.

Has your mother spoken to the retailer at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭pinkyponk2

It took your mother 16 weeks to decide it's not the sofa for her and she wants her money back.
    I can't see a happy ending here.

She didn't decide "it's not the sofa for her". After 16 weeks the quality has gone so bad that she can no longer sit on it and has to buy a new one that doesn't cause her pain

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    You cant return something just because you don't want it. They dont have to take it back. It must be not as described, not of merchantable quality, or faulty.

She doesn't want to return it simply because she doesn't want it. As I said she has to buy a new one because this one is so bad it causes her pain. Does that not make it not of merchantable quality and faulty? A sofa that you can't sit on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

You probably aren't entitled to a refund even if you had the receipt. There is no harm in asking tho, some companies will give refunds where they don't have to because it generates good will around the brand. It's a fairly cheap suit so if you go in and ask if there is any chance they could give you store credit they might go for it. It's probably a long shot, but no harm in asking. Bring the credit card statement with you anyway just so you have some form of proof of purchase.

Edit: Just read your posts above. If you genuinely believe the quality of the produce has degraded so much in such a short space of time then you might be entitled to a refund. A credit card statement showing the purchase should be valid proof of purchase for these purposes.

Graham wrote: »
    If there is a fault with the suite e.g. broken springs causing the cushions to sink, your mother can ask the retailer to rectify the problem.

From the information you've given so far your mother has no rights to a refund or a credit note and is unlikely to get one from the retailer after 4 months.

Has your mother spoken to the retailer at all?

She actually just spoke to them and they are sending someone out to check it out on Tuesday. I think it must be a fault so fingers crossed.

You probably aren't entitled to a refund even if you had the receipt. There is no harm in asking tho, some companies will give refunds where they don't have to because it generates good will around the brand. It's a fairly cheap suit so if you go in and ask if there is any chance they could give you store credit they might go for it. It's probably a long shot, but no harm in asking. Bring the credit card statement with you anyway just so you have some form of proof of purchase.

Edit: Just read your posts above. If you genuinely believe the quality of the produce has degraded so much in such a short space of time then you might be entitled to a refund. A credit card statement showing the purchase should be valid proof of purchase for these purposes.

Thanks Tiddlypeeps. She just spoke to someone in the store and they were able to pull up a copy of the receipt so that's not a problem now. She said they were really nice and helpful and are sending someone out to her on Tuesday to see what it wrong with it. There definitely has to be a fault with it .. a sofa should last a lot longer than 4 months!

If you genuinely believe the quality of the produce has degraded so much in such a short space of time then you might be entitled to a refund. A credit card statement showing the purchase should be valid proof of purchase for these purposes.

It's not an automatic right to a refund.

If you start using the item for some time then it is deemed that you have accepted the item. But if you discover a fault then you are entitled to have the item repaired or replaced free of charge – provided you did not cause the damage. If the fault occurs within the first 6 months of owning the item, it is accepted that the fault was there when you bought it. In general, the seller can offer to repair the item first. This should be a permanent repair and the problem should not reoccur. If the same fault occurs again, then you should be entitled to a replacement or refund. If you are not happy with the retailer’s offer to repair the item, you can say no - but if you do this, you may have to use the Small Claims process if you want to take the matter further.
    Source: http://www.consumerhelp.ie/faulty-goods#2

• Advertisement

Thanks Tiddlypeeps. She just spoke to someone in the store and they were able to pull up a copy of the receipt so that's not a problem now. She said they were really nice and helpful and are sending someone out to her on Tuesday to see what it wrong with it. There definitely has to be a fault with it .. a sofa should last a lot longer than 4 months!

Was it comfortable to start with pinkyponk2?

Best of luck with the retailer next week.

Graham wrote: »
    Was it comfortable to start with pinkyponk2?

Best of luck with the retailer next week.

Yeah it was really comfortable and the armchairs that are rarely used are still fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Yeah it was really comfortable and the armchairs that are rarely used are still fine.

Sounds like it has developed a fault. I think you have a good case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭JonJones

3rdDegree wrote: »
    Sounds like it has developed a fault. I think you have a good case.
    me too. Everything has to last a reasonable time regardless of any warranty.

Advertisement