Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

circuit breaker for server and switch

Options
  • 01-10-2015 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,

I'm installing a small Server, Switch and DSL Modem in my house and want to provide a dedicated electrical circuit with its own breaker.

The Server will draw less than 50watt in normal usage, the Switch and DSL router should be less again.

All the circuit breakers already installed are 16Amp.

Does it make sense to use a 'smaller' circuit breaker like a 10A or 6A? Will it provide better safety or should I just go with the Standard 16 Amp?

I wont actually be installing it myself, just want to have everything ready for the electrician.

The wiring itself will actually be good for 16Amp.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

There is no issue with using a 16A MCB (on the basis that the wiring complies with the regulations). This device is installed to protect the cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

civ247 wrote:
    I wont actually be installing it myself, just want to have everything ready for the electrician.

I've a dedicated 20 Amp RCBO for my kit in the attic, keeps it isolated from RCD tripping

Advertisement