Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tried & tested veggie burger recipes?

Options
  • 01-10-2015 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Preferably including nuts and lentils - looking for suggestions please.

Note, must be tried and tested - IMO far too many veggie burgers taste OK but are structurally problematic e.g. too crumbly, sloppy etc etc

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I've got one I came up with a while back and always enjoy:

Ingredients :

1 small red onion, chopped
    1 leek, sliced
    1 carrot, grated
    1 cup of boiled brown lentils (or else lentils from a can)
    ca. 100 g of chopped mixed nuts
    1 egg
    Flour
    Salt
    Pepper
    1 tsp Paprika

Fry the onion and leek in a little oil until the onion is translucent.
    Mix the onion, leek, carrot, lentils and nuts in a big bowl and season with salt, pepper and paprika. Then add the egg and stir through. Add the flour a little at the time, if should set the egg a little and the liquid part of the mixture should be a little like runny pancake batter.

Heat a little oil in a pan drop the burgers into the pan with a large spoon. Fry until golden.

It's very tasty, but unfortunately doesn't really work on a barbeque, they'll need to be pan-fried.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

The solution to fall apart bean burger based seems to be roasting the beans for about 20mins until they're much drier (kidneybeans flap around when they're ready, it's very odd).

I usually bung in 50g of chopped walnuts into any bean burger recipe too.

I don't have my usual bean burger recipe typed up, but the chickpea one i've made is:

1 large can chickpeas
    1 large can mixed beans
    1 medium onion
    8 cloves garlic
    1 slice of breads worth of breadcrumbs
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1 tsp smoked paprika
    1 tsp ground ginger
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp curry powder
    1 tsp salt
    40g fresh coriander
    1 lemonsworth of juice
    2 tbsp tahini

Rinse and drain the chickpeas and mixed beans, spread on a baking tray and bake for 20 minutes at 200°C to dry out (the beans will all unfold and wave about).
    Fry the onion and 4 thinly sliced cloves of garlic.
    Blitz the bread in a food processorn to make bread crumbs.
    Add the spices, raw garlic, cooked onion and garlic, coriander, and lemon juice to the food processor and blitz. Add the beans and tahini and blitz to a paste.
    To shape the patties, wet your hands between each one. Grab satsuma's worth of paste and pat into shape. Freeze on greasproof paper.
    Shallow fry in an oil of your choice. From frozen takes a bit longer.

They're seriously garlicky, you get a whiff off them in the freezer, so put them in a sealed bag. I usually fry them on a pan, I haven't tried grilling them, they might be a bit too pastey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jimi Spotzweiner

Thanks guys some ideas there alright. Might just do a hybrid recipe & blow my own mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 onlineness

I know this is an old thread but I've made these for the last few years and they always go down well:

400g can kidney beans
    1 small onion chopped
    100g grated cheese (I use whatever's in the fridge)
    100g breadcrumbs
    1 egg
    Plain flour

Basically mash up the beans then add in everything else and mix it all up. With floured hands, shape into burgers - fry then serve!

Advertisement