Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenny, Alek and Rob's cyclo crossbromance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Excluding MTBs does not make any sense, IMO (unless, of course, the need for curmudgeoning is overwhelming).

Let me ask this: if I put drop handlebars on my MTB, do I get to race?

MTBs will never make much impact in a CX series - almost 100% of the time, they will be too slow. Various reasons for this; weight, tyres, gearing, geometry,...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

dave2pvd wrote: »
    Excluding MTBs does not make any sense, IMO (unless, of course, the need for curmudgeoning is overwhelming).

MTBs will never make much impact in a CX series - almost 100% of the time, they will be too slow. Various reasons for this; weight, tyres, gearing, geometry,...

Its my party (and Lens') and we're grumpy old men so curmudgeoning is mandatory...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Excluding MTBs does not make any sense, IMO.

Stop the curmudgeoning please.

If it satisfies the relevant technical description starting on page 58 on then you can race it.
    http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/Rulesandregulation/16/80/73/1-GEN-20150313-E_English.pdf

With races selling out, it's time to require CX bikes.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RobFowl wrote: »
    we're grumpy old men
    I can vouch for that (and have the T shirt to prove it - the bit in black says "cranky")

s6gpqm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I've been drinking in Poland the last few evenings. I've got the bags packed now and will hope fully finish it tonight.

Your one was pretty good, you'll have to keep up with the rugby in order to make more CX course friends.

My secret identity...I'll have to kill you now.

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »
    With races selling out, it's time to require CX bikes.

That posture is astounding. Add another category. It benefits all to grow CX. Grass roots advocacy is in everyone's interest.
    If it satisfies the relevant technical description starting on page 58 on then you can race it.
    http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/Rulesandregulation/16/80/73/1-GEN-20150313-E_English.pdf

When did the races become UCI C2? I assume the officials are wielding their calipers and painstakingly measuring tyres at check in?

Its my party (and Lens') and we're grumpy old men so curmudgeoning is mandatory...

OK, I've got nothing... :rolleyes:

That posture is astounding. Add another category. It benefits all to grow CX. Grass roots advocacy is in everyone's interest.

When did the races become UCI C2? I assume the officials are wielding their calipers and painstakingly measuring tyres at check in?

The posture is not astounding.

I'd prefer not to add another category. With limited resources, it takes too much effort. Organising two races on a day is already taxing enough.

I'd prefer it everyone rode a suitable CX bike, but if anyone has ever asked can they ride an MTB, I've always said yes. If anyone ever turned up on an MTB having not asked, I've never objected. In my view, MTBs should very much be the exception and not the norm. To prevent it being the norm, I feel justified in discouraging it in an on-line forum. I've seen folk turn up on MTBs and subsequently buy a CX bike cos they loved it but not cos I told them to get one. The aim is to grow CX, not grow racing a CX course on an MTB.

The posture is not astounding.

I'd prefer not to add another category. With limited resources, it takes too much effort. Organising two races on a day is already taxing enough.

I'd prefer it everyone rode a suitable CX bike, but if anyone has ever asked can they ride an MTB, I've always said yes. If anyone ever turned up on an MTB having not asked, I've never objected. In my view, MTBs should very much be the exception and not the norm. To prevent it being the norm, I feel justified in discouraging it in an on-line forum. I've seen folk turn up on MTBs and subsequently buy a CX bike cos they loved it but not cos I told them to get one. The aim is to grow CX, not grow racing a CX course on an MTB.

Like I said, you won't grow MTBs racing on CX courses. Too slow. The MTB'rs upgrade to CX bikes very quickly. Glad to hear you don't turn MTBs away though.

Re: limited resources/too much effort: try recruiting harder? Esp with all the new folks racing, I think you'll find a lot more enthusiastic volunteers. At least that's my experience watching the series grow over here. Also, it seems the Ulster series manages to put on extra categories, right?

Anyway, I need to disengage. Heading off to begin the design task for our December race. We just became part of the national series over here. Pretty daunting task this time round.

Like I said, you won't grow MTB on racing on CX courses. Too slow. The MTB'rs upgrade to CX bikes very quickly. Glad to hear you don't turn MTBs away though.

Re: limited resources/too much effort: try recruiting harder? Esp with all the new folks racing, I think you'll find a lot more enthusiastic volunteers. At least that's my experience watching the series grow over here. Also, it seems the Ulster series manages to put on extra categories, right?

Anyway, I need to disengage. Heading off to begin the design task for our December race. We just became part of the national series over here. Pretty daunting task this time round.

Best of luck with your race, I hope it is a success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    My secret identity...I'll have to kill you now.

I didn't mean to dox you, Peter. I've edited my previous post.

Finally got it finished, in time to write another one.
    http://www.lukegjpotter.com/2015/10/dccx-kalas-classic-series-round-1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Great write up Luke. Hopefully my progression towards the rear of these races doesn't become a regular feature of your blog.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

You should link this to DCCX facebook page. Great report, made me chuckle more than a few times too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Best of luck with your race, I hope it is a success.

Can I ride it on a TT bike?

I didn't mean to dox you, Peter. I've edited my previous post.

Finally got it finished, in time to write another one.
    http://www.lukegjpotter.com/2015/10/dccx-kalas-classic-series-round-1.html

Voodoo Peter has a certain ring to it. Time for a name change Dirky.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

I've an entry for the b race up for grabs at cost price. Haven't been on the cx bike in weeks, time to start preparing for next season I think :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Shame on you for getting married in the middle of it. :D

(Congrats!!!!)

colm18 wrote: »
    I've an entry for the b race up for grabs at cost price. Haven't been on the cx bike in weeks, time to start preparing for next season I think :rolleyes:

Do you want to swap for my A race entry? You can just use it as a couple of practice laps :D

Alternatively, if I can offload my A entry I'll buy your B one off you, assuming it's still there.

Do you want to swap for my A race entry? You can just use it as a couple of practice laps :D

Alternatively, if I can offload my A entry I'll buy your B one off you, assuming it's still there.

Grand, let me know if you get shot of it

Alternatively, you could do both :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

You can always contact organizers for refund, it worked for me last year (couldnt show up due to sickness).

I'd hurry if I were you, B places are sought after.

Alek wrote: »
    You can always contact organizers for refund, it worked for me last year (couldnt show up due to sickness).

I'd hurry if I were you, B places are sought after.

Good thinking, Batman!

@Colm: Hold off there for a minute and let me see if I can get refunded!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I'm slightly more grump and a good deal younger
    Beasty wrote: »
    I can vouch for that (and have the T shirt to prove it - the bit in black says "cranky")

s6gpqm.jpg

You're even less grumpy than Robfowl, but wayyyyyyyy older

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Can I ride it on a TT bike?

You can barely ride a TT bike on the road, so whatever about riding one off road.....

:)

lennymc wrote: »
    I'm slightly more grump and a good deal younger

You're even less grumpy than Robfowl, but wayyyyyyyy older

You can barely ride a TT bike on the road, so whatever about riding one off road.....

:)

You're always waaaay too far behind to motice that!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

How many did you ride this year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Remind me again how many points you have? :)

Less than me ;)

Who gives a sh1t about points? Not me. I deal in the real world and cycle for the fans!

How many did you ride this year ;)

What has that got to do with the price of cabbage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

My new cross bike before I added Spd's. Photo taken from wrong side though ;-)

image_zpsjhcgf2ll.jpeg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement