Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenny, Alek and Rob's cyclo crossbromance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Looks like everyone who finished with a rear mech attached to their bike, finished in the Top 84. Happy Days :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Well that was fun! Can't wait for the next one. :D
    I wonder are you the lad in the B race who went over the bars in the bunker,and to add insult to injury the back wheel of the bike came down on his head!!

Think that was me! On a black cube mtb with really fat draggy tires. The mouthful of sand was more of distraction than the whack on the head. Didn't really get hit that hard no mark on the helmet, bike more came rest on top of me. Bit stunned for a second knee took a fairly hard blow of the handle bars I think, is a bit stiff now. I saw plenty more go over the bars on other laps in the sand pit and lot of lads were coming of on the faster turns on the down hill section.

All in all really enjoyed it brilliant course and event. Fat tyres, weight and not being able to shoulder the bike didn't help. Real problem though is lack of race fitness. Pretty much only back on the bike a month after missing most of the summer and haven't done enough hard stuff. Fall on third lap in sand pit was the only time I came off, rode the sand pit the first two times don't know how I lost it on the third was half way through and may have dabbed the brakes, ran it after that. Couldn't really do proper fast mounts and dismounts after first lap was just to fecked to run and jump. In practising in the last week though I had got the hang of them. I wasn't too bad on the twisty bits and faster down hill sections, didn't lose as much time there and the jump was the only time I had an advantage over the cx bikes!

It's made up my mind to get a cross bike, though like gerry my budget is low maybe the boardman cx comp @€;540 though its a little heavy. Was looking looking at the Dolan multi x about €375 delivered for the frameset another €200-250 would get me the shifter, mechs, cantilever brakes and tyres I'd need. Would be a nice bit lighter than the boardman and with better brakes than the budget disc brakes on the boardman I'd say. I'm thinking I will sell my Px sl pro so I maybe able to up my budget a bit. Any other good budget cross frames? Just a question for those running a single front ring are you using a chaincatcher or a clutched rear derailleur?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

The boardman cx team bike is very pretty. Saw one or two at Punchestown. Great looking bike.

592511?$pd_main_v2_H3$

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Just a question for those running a single front ring are you using a chaincatcher or a clutched rear derailleur?

I tried a chaincatcher but it did not work that well with a normal chainring.

Today it was my first race with the superstar components I/O narrow wide ring - works great without any extras - it was also my first race without a chain drop :)

For the rear mech, I have the B screw dialled all the way in and a shortened chain.
    The boardman cx team bike is very pretty.

But also quite heavy. I'd say around 11kgs hand-weighting one before the race today.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭onthefringe

Ryath wrote: »
    Well that was fun! Can't wait for the next one. :D

Think that was me! On a black cube mtb with really fat draggy tires. The mouthful of sand was more of distraction than the whack on the head. Didn't really get hit that hard no mark on the helmet, bike more came rest on top of me. Bit stunned for a second knee took a fairly hard blow of the handle bars I think, is a bit stiff now. I saw plenty more go over the bars on other laps in the sand pit and lot of lads were coming of on the faster turns on the down hill section.

All in all really enjoyed it brilliant course and event. Fat tyres, weight and not being able to shoulder the bike didn't help. Real problem though is lack of race fitness. Pretty much only back on the bike a month after missing most of the summer and haven't done enough hard stuff. Fall on third lap in sand pit was the only time I came off, rode the sand pit the first two times don't know how I lost it on the third was half way through and may have dabbed the brakes, ran it after that. Couldn't really do proper fast mounts and dismounts after first lap was just to fecked to run and jump. In practising in the last week though I had got the hang of them. I wasn't too bad on the twisty bits and faster down hill sections, didn't lose as much time there and the jump was the only time I had an advantage over the cx bikes!

It's made up my mind to get a cross bike, though like gerry my budget is low maybe the boardman cx comp @€;540 though its a little heavy. Was looking looking at the Dolan multi x about €375 delivered for the frameset another €200-250 would get me the shifter, mechs, cantilever brakes and tyres I'd need. Would be a nice bit lighter than the boardman and with better brakes than the budget disc brakes on the boardman I'd say. I'm thinking I will sell my Px sl pro so I maybe able to up my budget a bit. Any other good budget cross frames? Just a question for those running a single front ring are you using a chaincatcher or a clutched rear derailleur?

What size frame do you need??
    Might have something

• Advertisement

What size frame do you need??
    Might have something

Thanks. 174cm tall so probably a 52 in a cx frame though I suppose a lot depends on the geometry. What you got?

Rage yet not dissipated.

So.

When's the next one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

15th Nov Tymon Park

15th Nov Tymon Park

Is that dccx or fixx?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

FIXX

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

15th Nov Tymon Park

Cool, that gives me a few weeks to source a CX bike and offload the MTB that's been hanging in the shed for two years untouched.

You can _still_ enter B race on your MTB
    ;)

(although judging by your commuting style you may consider A ! )

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

fat bloke wrote: »
    Rage yet not dissipated.

So.

When's the next one?

Larne this sunday
    Bangor the next and
    Fixx in tymon park the week after..

No shortage of races this year :)

Alek wrote: »
    I tried a chaincatcher but it did not work that well with a normal chainring.

Today it was my first race with the superstar components I/O narrow wide ring - works great without any extras - it was also my first race without a chain drop :)

For the rear mech, I have the B screw dialled all the way in and a shortened chain.
    Really like the look of the single ring set up. Sram Rival 1 set of shifters and clutch rear mech at about €230 are tempting.
    Alek wrote: »

But also quite heavy. I'd say around 11kgs hand-weighting one before the race today.

Dropped into Halfords in Carrickmines on the way back to look at Boardman CX comp and team. Didn't feel like there was 1kg in difference in weight between them neither felt light. Would have a preference for sram but don't know if the team is worth the extra €280 over the comp. The wheels are the same on both and upgrading them would knock half a kilo off I'd say. Looking at the cx comp as budget option to start of and upgrading later.

12191547_10208391030837900_5376696973035160369_n.jpg?oh=b23956118bd55c97df3da67b0bc78a1e&oe=56B34FCA

RobFowl wrote: »
    Larne this sunday
    Bangor the next and
    Fixx in tymon park the week after..

No shortage of races this year :)

Yeah. Long way to go and a lot of petrol for 50 minutes racing imo, but Tymon is nearly my back garden so I can't miss that. I'll just lock the kids in the shed for the hour. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

detones wrote: »
    My new cross bike before I added Spd's. Photo taken from wrong side though ;-)

Cube's don't like sand? ;):D

mslp8g.jpg

A little video reminder of the best CX course of the year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Tenzor07 wrote: »

mslp8g.jpg

Nope!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

At least that pic is from the right side. should be a few of that 10year old dropping me floating about too ;-)

• Advertisement

A little video reminder of the best CX course of the year!

Great endo recovery in the bunker, PeterX ;) Also fair play for riding up that little fecker hill after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Absolutely superb event put on yesterday by Fixx Rouleurs and the WORC team, as sponsored by Fixx CoffeeHouse.
    The golf course really was an inspired find and the slopes were just perfect for cyclocross with swoopy fast flowy downslope cornering matched by more butch straight up in first gear trudging on the upslope climbs.
    The sandtrap really lived up to it's name, great craic to be had there watching all the low speed crashes and occasional baffling collision.
    I had a much better starting position this week and was in the thick of the mid field racing from the start although as I have no fast first lap to my name I am not quite at the races in that I am still essentially passing lads for a few laps instead of the dicing back and forth that would be de "real" racing which in fairness I did have a taste of in the last two laps with John and Richie and by grud is that harder - watching your line, constantly pushing out of corners, knowing any mistake will lose two places - great racing.
    So this week my buddy was still miles ahead of me but I cunningly brought along another friend who was dying with the flu so wasn't last of my mates :)

possibly true off topic factoid - more golf courses than childrens playgrounds were built in Ireland in the Celtic Tiger years - or maybe it's there are more golf courses than kiddies playgrounds in Ireland

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Peterx wrote: »
    possibly true off topic factoid - more golf courses than childrens playgrounds were built in Ireland in the Celtic Tiger years - or maybe it's there are more golf courses than kiddies playgrounds in Ireland

Even more off topic, twas Gerry (I wasn't in the IRA) Adams who said that ;)

Traditional onboard CCTV from the B race, featuring the Meteors :D

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Great vids there. The on board cameras do seem the flatten the course. Very impressive how some of the A lads could ride up the hill after the sand trap. Not sure if id ever have that ability. Fair play Alex a lot of quality passing there. So for those in the know how hard was that course compared to others?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

detones wrote: »
    Great vids there. The on board cameras do seem the flatten the course. Very impressive how some of the A lads could ride up the hill after the sand trap. Not sure if id ever have that ability. Fair play Alex a lot of quality passing there. So for those in the know how hard was that course compared to others?

Physically one of the toughest, technically fairly easy.

Another video from the race: https://vimeo.com/143648483

Jeeze those guys who won the B race lapped half the field, would have put the winner top 20 in the A race..And I'm sure the B winner is an A2 road rider! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

Another video from the race: https://vimeo.com/143648483

Jeeze those guys who won the B race lapped half the field, would have put the winner top 20 in the A race..And I'm sure the B winner is an A2 road rider! :eek:
    The winner of the B race is a 50 year old rider who occasionally races A3. He is an animal

J Madone wrote: »
    The winner of the B race is a 50 year old rider who occasionally races A3. He is an animal

Should do well in the A race so..

Must be the 2nd place guy who's an A2 road champ so..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

After breaking another derailleur hanger last weekend, I think I want to build up another singlespeed cx bike. Anyone any suggestions on frames? I have the cross check (which I might build up as ss) but that would mean I would need another winter bike......

first world problems.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement