Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenny, Alek and Rob's cyclo crossbromance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Nothing but a bit of dust.

IMAG0519_zpsea2jdgtz.jpg

IMAG0518_zpsk34xmq9j.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

How the heck did you manage to jam the inner tube into the rear mech ? :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Nothing but a bit of dust.

Sorry again for passing you just before the line ;) felt a tiny bit guilty but not for long, hope you enjoyed running the last lap ...

RobFowl wrote: »
    Sorry again for passing you just before the line ;) felt a tiny bit guilty but not for long, hope you enjoyed running the last lap ...

It's a race, you're supposed to pass people.
    Nice meeting you, was a tough little circuit, enjoyed it immensely.

Alek wrote: »
    How the heck did you manage to jam the inner tube into the rear mech ? :eek:

Beats me. It took some considerable upper body strenght (that I'm lacking) to pull the tube out of the cassette.

• Advertisement

Wow. Seriously the strangest bike malfunction I have ever seen :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

What size tube was it? 18-23 tubes in cx tyres can cause problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

My tubes were marked "28/32c", for the 33c tyres.
    I went tubeless last night, so no Hmmzis related problems for me.

lennymc wrote: »
    What size tube was it? 18-23 tubes in cx tyres can cause problems.

Not quite sure Lenny, it's a borrowed bike. I have some tubes on order (along with tyres) that should be the correct size. For next season, if I realy get into this, I'll be looking at tubs or at least tubeles. I hear carbon tubs are cheap these days :D

im running chinese tubs and they are way better than the tubed tyres I was running previously, especially in low grip situations. You can run so much less psi. They also (apparently) help with getting through the mud in the p icture above as the mud doesnt cover the rim., creating less drag. Allegedly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I took my two-year old son to watch the CX in Bangor yesterday, fair play to him for lasting 45 mins in the driving wind and rain watching the various kids' races before asking could we go home.

This morning he was talking about the bike race and his bike being in the garage which is cool as he hasn't really shown an interest in it up to now.

But one thing I was taken with was the pushy competetiveness of a handful of dads, in the most part limited to loud mouth muck-savage blokes from "up the 'country". A number of the kids were given big push-offs at the start, propelling them instantly into the lead, and the bawling some were being given as they trundled around...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

el tel wrote: »
    But one thing I was taken with was the pushy competetiveness of a handful of dads, in the most part limited to loud mouth muck-savage blokes from "up the 'country". A number of the kids were given big push-offs at the start, propelling them instantly into the lead, and the bawling some were being given as they trundled around...:eek:

as it is with all sports, unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

el tel wrote: »

Where is this "up the country"? Welcome to being a parent at sporting events. I had some gob****e (a female gob****e actually) yelling **** at my kid during a basketball game a few years back.

1. She didn't have a clue what she was on about.
    2. She kept distracting him so that he wasn't able to do anything at all.

He was eight at most then.

In my experience it's either pushy dads living vicariously.
    Dads who wanted to harden their lads up.
    Mothers who don't follow sport and yell randoms.

They're in a minority but can ruin something that's really supposed to be fun and a development of a positive competitive spirit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Where is this "up the country"? Welcome to being a parent at sporting events. I had some gob****e (a female gob****e actually) yelling **** at my kid during a basketball game a few years back.

1. She didn't have a clue what she was on about.
    2. She kept distracting him so that he wasn't able to do anything at all.

He was eight at most then.

In my experience it's either pushy dads living vicariously.
    Dads who wanted to harden their lads up.
    Mothers who don't follow sport and yell randoms.

They're in a minority but can ruin something that's really supposed to be fun and a development of a positive competitive spirit.

"Silent sidelines" are a good idea, helps kids to figure out whatever game without unhelpful noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

So who's doing the next Fixx race in Tymon and what the course like?

me, flat with tarmac and the circle of doom.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

And a ditch for Lenny to get pushed into :)

RobFowl wrote: »
    And a ditch for Lenny to get pushed into :)

you have to catch me first!!

Have you checked out the entry list?

Lenny next sunday....
    And yes ;)

Cyclocross%20World%20Championships%20in%20Koksijde%20face%20plant%20accident%20fail1357317306.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Flat sounds good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

the circle of doom.

?????

Worse than the sand bunker of insanity?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

detones wrote: »
    Flat sounds good.

It's not totally flat, grass hill on the back section and some lumpy singletrack in the woods - drop off into the woods and can get very muddy.

It's the spiral of confusion. More technical than previous rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

New CX race in Killarney 6th December

905689_461511367369252_1785463065700106318_o_zpsvmmj8cbh.jpg>

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭flying11

Hi lads,
    Bit of a random question here but is it possible to use a hybrid (a Trek 7.3fx) in cyclocross races? I would be interested in turning up for a go at one of the B races for a bit of craic.

I have 2 road bikes but both have rim brakes (not cantilever) so that rules them out.
    I would of course have to fit cyclocross tyres to the hybrid.

Or would this be the equivalent of taking a knife to a gun battle? (i.e i would be dead last)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Can't say I have ever seen a Hybrid in a CX race, MTB or CX bike only...

Road bikes, totally and completely unsuitable even if they could be fitted with canti's

I'd say you'll be fine as long as you fit cx specific tyres at lowish pressure. Trek hybrids can easily take 33-35mm rubber as far as I know. Just get rid of any extras like mudguards, rack, bottle cages etc. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

flying11 wrote: »
    Hi lads,
    Bit of a random question here but is it possible to use a hybrid (a Trek 7.3fx) in cyclocross races? I would be interested in turning up for a go at one of the B races for a bit of craic.

I have 2 road bikes but both have rim brakes (not cantilever) so that rules them out.
    I would of course have to fit cyclocross tyres to the hybrid.

Or would this be the equivalent of taking a knife to a gun battle? (i.e i would be dead last)

Would have enough clearance for cross tyres? Don't recall seeing anyone race on a hybrid, but you will need to carry it at points and it probably won't handle the best.

Q for those who raced in previous editions of Tymon Park FIXX: what's the mud like there? Wet/runny or rather a peanut butter nightmare?

I'm contemplating the tyre choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

The ground under foot was fairly saturated during the week. We've had a lot of rain since and Saturday is forecast to be a wash out. I'd be betting on wet/runny. I'll be sticking the Rons back on the bike for this round.

• Advertisement

I think I'll leave Ralphs on my racing hoops then, but take the inferior wheelset with Mud Wrestlers just in case.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement