Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenny, Alek and Rob's cyclo crossbromance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

wav1 wrote: »
    Agreed.Memory tells me that a group of riders [Irish] rode an event in UK last year and got no funding from CI for their efforts.Francine Meehan was looking to ride womens worlds and that got the thumbs down also,afaik.Dont know if it would be remit of off road or high performance?Sport has grown bug time here in last few years,but on continental Europe I would think its always been that way.Back in the 70s[Uncle Albert time] RogerDe Vlemick used to go between winning classic road races to worlds cyclo cross champs.

David Montgomery rode the European U23s CX Championships recently:

http://www.stickybottle.com/offroad/theres-no-respect-totally-different-to-anything-ive-done-before/

http://www.stickybottle.com/offroad/montgomery-fights-all-the-way-at-euro-champs-as-others-fade/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Beasty wrote: »
    This discipline seems to have grown enormously in recent years, both domestically and internationally. Anyone know if there is a proper national "strategy" on CX? Think it's the remit of the Off-Road commission, but I don't see much about sending teams to international events for example (although I do see that individuals race overseas occasionally)

Is this something that CI need to invest a little more (time and possible money-wise) into given the popularity of CX amongst its members, or are they already on top of this?

CI set ridiculous selection criteria for CX riders last season - think you had to finish in the top 8 in a UCI event to qualify for Worlds selection!! Basically so nobody got to go, 2 women asked if they could and said they would self fund it but were denied. Led to a very public shaming of CI by the international CX community online. Hopefully it will be different this year as one rider got permission to race a World Cup event in the US.

Enough said about that, today's race was brilliant, loved the course even the swamp in the woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Now that was muddery!!

The guy who "fell" into the mud puddle in the forest section was hilarious!! :D:D

Great racing at the top of the field with Kinning powering into the lead only to be foiled by a mechanical....

Good proper CX!

213raxu.png

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

wav1 wrote: »
    Agreed.Memory tells me that a group of riders [Irish] rode an event in UK last year and got no funding from CI for their efforts.Francine Meehan was looking to ride womens worlds and that got the thumbs down also,afaik.Dont know if it would be remit of off road or high performance?Sport has grown bug time here in last few years,but on continental Europe I would think its always been that way.Back in the 70s[Uncle Albert time] RogerDe Vlemick used to go between winning classic road races to worlds cyclo cross champs.
    I agree sending people overseas should be a HP issue. However we have ways domestically of taking younger riders on the road and track (and possibly BMX who have their own commission and I was pleased to see them at the CI AGM this year) and trying to help them develop in a way that produces more racers for the HP programme. Perhaps it's time to try to develop CX more as it looks as if people are pretty much left to their own devices (with some support at club level - wav1, is it also something the provincial execs look at - I know Cycling Leinster are to some extent behind the forthcoming Leinster Championships but also know it's pretty much down to the promoting club to work through all the detail?).

It currently falls under the remit of off-road, but attracts roadies. Maybe it's own commission may emerge at some time, but in the meantime one of those other disciplines perhaps needs to take it more under its umbrella with a view to raising its profile further

I guess it does suffer versus those disciplines with more specific commissions as currently it's not an Olympic discipline and is largely seen as something for roadies to give a go in their off-season (although that also applies to some extent with the track).

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Now that was muddery!!
    That photo could probably make a splash at one of the online Cycling sites or even something like Cycling Weekly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Beasty wrote: »
    That photo could probably make a splash at one of the online Cycling sites or even something like Cycling Weekly

CX photo competition here https://m.facebook.com/bieles2017/ for a signed world champs jersey.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Just my tuppence worth but CI would need to be very careful about applying top down guidance to the cross community !
    The growth so far has been despite CI rather than because of ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

RobFowl wrote: »
    Just my tuppence worth but CI would need to be very careful about applying top down guidance to the cross community !

Despite? They've hardly been putting obstacles in the way have they?

Obstacles. See what I did there???

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

nak wrote: »
    CI set ridiculous selection criteria for CX riders last season - think you had to finish in the top 8 in a UCI event to qualify for Worlds selection!! Basically so nobody got to go, 2 women asked if they could and said they would self fund it but were denied. Led to a very public shaming of CI by the international CX community online. Hopefully it will be different this year as one rider got permission to race a World Cup event in the US.

Enough said about that, today's race was brilliant, loved the course even the swamp in the woods.

Absolutely ridiculous criteria indeed. I was at the Worlds in Jan. Lads and ladies were getting lapped left right and centre at all levels. Winning at these things or getting top 10 is not the point for the lesser CX nations. It is a blinkered view point of CI to set such criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Seeing as we're tuppence-worthing, I don't want to come across all moderator-on-the-ditch but could I respectfully suggest we move CI political discussions to a separate thread maybe? This one up til now has mostly been local and light hearted race banter and advice. :)

• Advertisement

fat bloke wrote: »
    Seeing as we're tuppence-worthing, I don't want to come across all moderator-on-the-ditch but could I respectfully suggest we move CI political discussions to a separate thread maybe? This one up til now has mostly been local and light hearted race banter and advice. :)

Sometimes shít goes down at parties.

Raam wrote: »
    Sometimes shít goes down at parties.

*gathers his remaining Dutch Golds and sidles into the adjoining room*

A and ladies race results up on fixxcx Facebook :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

fat bloke wrote: »
    *gathers his remaining Dutch Golds Belgian Tripels and sidles into the adjoining room*

FTFY

Growth is cos of Seymour and his dedicated team. Certainly it inspired me.

flying11 wrote: »
    Bit of a random question here but is it possible to use a hybrid (a Trek 7.3fx) in cyclocross races? I would be interested in turning up for a go at one of the B races for a bit of craic.

I guess so!

2sbq0xu.png

though who was the guy going around with a baby-seat with a doll in it??

Patrick. He's a funny chap and a good racer on top of it :) Unfortunately he wasn't allowed to race with the baby chair and the doll :D

Alek wrote: »
    FTFY

Better make that "stumbles" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Great racing today at Fixx. Great organistion again and great support. My 3rd race and it was tough. The section through the woods was very challenging to say the least. Rode down the drop every time but 1 and was never comfortable doing it. Just dont have the confidence yet on the technical stuff. I was on my limit for race which is all i can do really. I find when I really pushing hard i feel like puking and find it hard to manage that. Was glad to get around without any major incident.

Not sure if i was out of line but when one of the leaders came through to lap me just at the drop he was shouting cmon cmon as I was in his way. This pissed me off as it was a Dangerous section it was very off putting and i had no where really to go. So i lost the head a bit and had a go at him.

Patrick. He's a funny chap and a good racer on top of it :) Unfortunately he wasn't allowed to race with the baby chair and the doll :D

When I first seen this guy I thought there was a child in the seat! :eek:

• Advertisement

Not sure if i was out of line but when one of the leaders came through to lap me just at the drop he was shouting cmon cmon as I was in his way. This pissed me off as it was a Dangerous section it was very off putting and i had no where really to go.

Same with me, someone shouted "outta the way, outta the way" in a very aggressive manner one I was sliding down it on my feet. Where could I go? :/

When I first seen this guy I thought there was a child in the seat! :eek:

The first time I saw him I thought there is a dead child in the seat :P

The first time I saw him I thought there is a dead child in the seat :P

Someone thought he got lost in "The Spiral" on his way to work and couldn't escape! :D

Same with me, someone shouted "outta the way, outta the way" in a very aggressive manner one I was sliding down it on my feet. Where could I go? :/

Very unsportsmanlike behavior! A quick excuse me or "on your left/right" should be what's said, it's not another racers job just to jump outta the way for anyone...

Someone thought he got lost in "The Spiral" on his way to work and couldn't escape!

Nice one, can I use this as my 2-hours-late-excuse tomorrow? :D
    Very unsportsmanlike behavior!

I have no problem people telling me about risky maneuvers they are going to make, whether I am being lapped or just overtaken. I guess he may have thought he's lapping me, but this would make him ever more of an asshat :/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Very unsportsmanlike behavior! A quick excuse me or "on your left/right" should be what's said, it's not another racers job just to jump outta the way for anyone...

I'm a bit of a git and when someone shouts outta way at me I'd be more inclined to go out of my way to obstruct him ....
    End of the day it's a race

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Best answered with "Go fcuk yourself, Sir."

It's bad form but it's also easy to get frustrated behind when you've precious momentum built up. Up one of the hills behind some lad I definitely grunted "Go on to fcuk ya cnut" at him when his back wheel started losing traction. I was laughing as I said it though and there was no deadly malice behind it (unless of course he'd stopped in front of me) :D

But yeah, if "outta the way" worked as a passing technique, we'd all be at it wouldn't we.

I'm a bit of a git and when someone shouts outta way at me I'd be more inclined to go out of my way to obstruct him ....

The words "Outta my way" should be fully ignored... if someone's that much quicker than another then they can go find a way around...

• Advertisement

There are races and races.

Always had an impression of CX having non-testosterone-infused atmosphere...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement