Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenny, Alek and Rob's cyclo crossbromance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

fat bloke wrote: »
    It's bad form but it's also easy to get frustrated behind when you've precious momentum built up. Up one of the hills behind some lad I definitely grunted "Go on to fcuk ya cnut" at him when his back wheel started losing traction. I was laughing as I said it though and there was no deadly malice behind it (unless of course he'd stopped in front of me) :D

But yeah, if "outta the way" worked as a passing technique, we'd all be at it wouldn't we.

I've used "on your right!" to lads legitimately ahead of me :) Worked a few times!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Raam wrote: »
    I've used "on your right!" to lads legitimately ahead of me :) Worked a few times!

That's totally different to saying get out of my way. That's warning that you are coming on the right so they don't veer into you and crash. Polite. Not dickish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Very bad form for a faster rider to shout "outta my way",I too would do my best to hold that rider up.The top riders Will always shout "rider up",to give the slower rider the option to move right or left outta way,much more civilised way of going about a overtaking pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Yeah. "On your right" then gun it up the left as they move to block :D

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    That's totally different to saying get out of my way. That's warning that you are coming on the right so they don't veer into you and crash. Polite. Not dickish.

Totally, but they were actually ahead of me in the race. I just wanted to gain a place. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Amazing fun and excellent organisation. The complimentary capucino at the end was greatly welcomed.
    Started the race a bit back in the field. The new mud tyres held well (rocket ron) and gave me some confidence in the corners so started overtaking people. Was able to pedal up most inclines, the only one that eluded me was the muddy ramp after the now famous puddle in the woods. On lap three unshipped the chain in the forest area, bit of cursing and faffing about and it was good to go again. The forest section was the most enjoyable for me, loved the drop, there was certainly no need to scrub any speed off before it, bit of a tap on the rear brake at the bottom was all that's needed. That saved lots of energy once I got the hang of it. The most difficult part for me was the spiral until I learned to trust the tyres to keep me upright. Last half of lap five was spent with a slow rear puncture (two for two now) and a sprint for the line on an almost empty tyre with one other lad. He probably wasn't a sprinter. Looking forward to the next one!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

There's a video out there someplace of Robin Seymour in a XC race.
    He passes several other riders. As he approaches each rider, he calls out "excuse me, please" and having passed them call out "thank You"
    Always polite.
    And he has won more CX championships, than I can count.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Eamonnator wrote: »
    There's a video out there someplace of Robin Seymour in a XC race.
    He passes several other riders. As he approaches each rider, he calls out "excuse me, please" and having passed them call out "thank You"
    Always polite.
    And he has won more CX championships, than I can count.

Yea but what does he say in cx races?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Growth is cos of Seymour and his dedicated team. Certainly it inspired me.

Not just them, more people organising races country wide and friends encouraging others to give it a go - this it what happened with women's
    racing.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Yea but what does he say in cx races?

"Please, excuse me"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Only thing that pissed me off today was lads from the A race practicing while the B race was still running. Started mixing it up with riders racing and needlessly overtaking riders,then slowing down to discuss lines etc.

nak wrote: »
    Not just them, more people organising races country wide and friends encouraging others to give it a go - this it what happened with women's
    racing.

Agreed. What we see is the growth as a result of them.

Agreed. What we see is the growth as a result of them.

Yes and the Ulster league which has had ~300 racers with 9 races each season. I wish I could do more of those as they are so well organised, great group of people running the series.

There were also a good few A and B riders on the course during the women's Fixx race today. No respect.

Yes and the Ulster league which has had ~300 racers with 9 races each season. I wish I could do more of those as they are so well organised, great group of people running the series.

There were also a good few A and B riders on the course during the women's Fixx race today. No respect.

Such a dedicated group in the Ulster series. I'd love to see another CX series where a few clubs put on a series of races. We tried it with the NDCX series but it failed.

Such a dedicated group in the Ulster series. I'd love to see another CX series where a few clubs put on a series of races. We tried it with the NDCX series but it failed.

Hopefully more possible now with riders from some of the bigger clubs taking part. I really enjoyed the NDCX series. It's always difficult to get volunteers, especially in winter. I think they luck out in Ulster having access to clubhouses for some of the races.

Hopefully more possible now with riders from some of the bigger clubs taking part. I really enjoyed the NDCX series. It's always difficult to get volunteers, especially in winter. I think they luck out in Ulster having access to clubhouses for some of the races.

It was a great series alright. Largely (and mostly) due to the efforts of Dave. I've stepped away from training, racing, organising due to two arrivals. I miss all of it, but I find it's just not possible to do all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Anyone knows what happened to the poor chap taken by ambulance from the woods at the 1st lap of the B race? Is he ok?

It was a great series alright. Largely (and mostly) due to the efforts of Dave. I've stepped away from training, racing, organising due to two arrivals. I miss all of it, but I find it's just not possible to do all of them.

Family is more important than racing.

I don't think enough people appreciate the effort that goes into organising a race.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Family is more important than racing.

I don't think enough people appreciate the effort that goes into organising a race.
    Brings me back to what I was getting at earlier. I think CI needs to start thinking about this as a separate discipline and start treating it accordingly. If we had a separate Commission, or even perhaps it being taken up more at Provincial Exec level, perhaps there could be a bit more co-ordination as appears to happen in Ulster already

Raam I take onboard your comments re Dave, but equally there are a few more members of the club who do a hell of a lot to help support these events (including yourself). We may not be doing open Road Races at present, but we do put in a bloody good CX race.

I do think Dave has been passing on his knowledge and equally I think there are plenty at our own club who will get behind an event or two in North Dublin (although one of the issues may be circuits, FingalCoCo seem to be able to live with River Valley once a year, although I know the parkland took a bit of time to settle back after the nationals this year). I know the Balrothery guys were investigating options without much success last year. Maybe between us we could look at re-building the NDCX series - it may need us to look a little further afield and maybe there are one or two other clubs who may be interested in promoting an event either on their own or as part of a "partnership"

I fully acknowledge these things take a hell of a lot of organisation, but if we plan far enough ahead we can hopefully reduce some of the last minute hiccups and reduce the stress for all involved.

Beasty wrote: »

Raam I take onboard your comments re Dave, but equally there are a few more members of the club who do a hell of a lot to help support these events

Absolutely! I defo didn't meant to lessen anyone's contribution.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Absolutely! I defo didn't meant to lessen anyone's contribution.

Apart from the splitters ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

https://fixxcx.wordpress.com/results/

Fixx Tymon Park 2015 results are in, thanks again to all the organisers and helpers. A couple of glitches in the results but I'm sure they will be ironed out, the system has some lads on 7 laps who did 8. Not really a biggie, I still know my buddy was ahead of me, even if the results have him lapped :)

Racing in 16degrees was lovely, especially though that pond. Disc Brakes were great, racing was great, free proper coffee was great, not getting cold really was the brucie bonus.
    The wide left hander into a U-turn on the starting straight was a very good idea.

Woo hoo! Top ten! After rimming it for the last lap! :)

Ironically, it gripped rather well in a straight line in the sticky stuff.

Well done! My shameful lack of confidence in the woods thrown me out of the top 10 - this time only 14th ;)

(Loosing most of the rear tyre pressure in the last lap in Glencullen was worse though - from approx. 6th to 19th.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

Woohoo.... crappy conditions must suite me. Picked up the second auld fella prize in the B race. Spent the race overtaking people after the first lap, but didn't realise I'd made it that far up the field.

Fat Bloke, I think I had been dicing with you for a lap or two before you punctured beside me (I was wearing the Giant top, and was completely crap at getting back on the bike, where you kept overtaking me :)). Good racing! If that was me you told to "hurry up" the mud, then it was taken in the right spirit. Lots of good banter out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

What's the CX equivalent of 'Lanterne rouge'? :D

Enduro wrote: »
    Woohoo.... crappy conditions must suite me. Picked up the second auld fella prize in the B race. Spent the race overtaking people after the first lap, but didn't realise I'd made it that far up the field.

Fat Bloke, I think I had been dicing with you for a lap or two before you punctured beside me (I was wearing the Giant top, and was completely crap at getting back on the bike, where you kept overtaking me :)). Good racing! If that was me you told to "hurry up" the mud, then it was taken in the right spirit. Lots of good banter out there.

Oh yeah, that was you? Fair play. Congrats. We were going around at one stage and was it some mate of yours shouted at us that we were 5th and 6th? Then I feckin punctured the next time around. Yeah, you'll have to work on the remounting. You kept flying past me coming on the approach to the boards only to disappear again the other side of em! :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

daragh_ wrote: »
    What's the CX equivalent of 'Lanterne rouge'? :D
    Rob or Lenny should be able to advise on this one .....

"Mudsucker"?

"Landscape gardener"?

:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Alek wrote: »
    "Mudsucker"?

"Landscape gardener"?

:P

On that note my garden got a whole new layer of topsoil after I cleaned my bike yesterday. Result.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement