Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenny, Alek and Rob's cyclo crossbromance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Free Curry?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭dooverylittle

will there be gridding in M40 M50 race? what will it be based on?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

There will, it's going to be based on the whims and prejudices of Lenny and Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭dooverylittle

RobFowl wrote: »

Did I mention how much I respect Lenny and Rob!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

No gridding AFAIK, but sure you'll find out for certain on the start line :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Any guesses which genius provided this as their "fun" fact?
    I once ate a gerbil using chopsticks.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RobFowl wrote: »
    Don't forget that wad of notes to let me know who goes where

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭crosswords

Big wide open start area so gridding not a requirement on this years Leinster course.

Distance per lap approx 3km with an equal mix of tarmac, grass and forested sections.

Also now with a new fast fun descent.

A real humdinger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Raam wrote: »

There is always one.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Only one? Can't imagine that satisfied your hunger pangs lenny...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Raam wrote: »

mines not much better to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

That was incredibly hard today. The mud in combination with the dry grass stalks was something else entirely - reinforced mud I would call it. After four laps the bike was all cloged up, legs were gone by then as well but I'm sticking to the 'special' mud as my sandbaging reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

I think today's race broke me. That was hard going. The clean up can wait till tomorrow.

Really enjoyed the course today.
    But I guess my position was ...Taxed... on the line.
    Watching the CX was great as was the hose pipe to clean the bike.
    Looking forward to two weeks of clean road riding.

I'll try to get a merged report of the last three races out soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

First, OTB pre-riding the course. Then bad start and race full of mechanicals. So much mud stuck to the bike that chain was dropping from a narrow/wide chainring, I rode perhaps 2 laps unclipped and mud-specific tyres were so packed they had no grip and I was sliding like bambi on ice in most corners on the field. On top of this some tape got into the cassette and I lost all gears but the two lowest. Not my day, but finished grinning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Video today's Cyclocross World Cup stage in Koksijde, featuring Ireland's Glen Kinning.

Hat's off to the DCCX boys for securing a private venue, and marking out a tough testing course, it was like really old school cross, up through farmers fields and in through muddy tractor roads..

They did well with having a very very small team to look after everything...Only suggestion would be a marshal or timer with a chequered flag as some of the riders who had finished almost went for another lap..

Great course though, the speed of Squeak through the mud was something else, great battle between him and Seymour!

Well done guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Really enjoyed the course today.
    But I guess my position was ...Taxed... on the line.
    Watching the CX was great as was the hose pipe to clean the bike.
    Looking forward to two weeks of clean road riding.

I'll try to get a merged report of the last three races out soon.

Forget timing chips, they'll need photo finish equipment after that sprint to the line.:D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Great course though, the speed of Squeak through the mud was something else, great battle between him and Seymour!

Well done guys!

Who won the A race? Well done to all who raced today, that looked like a b&*tard of a course.

• Advertisement

colm18 wrote: »
    Who won the A race? Well done to all who raced today, that looked like a b&*tard of a course.

Paul O'Reilly 1st, Seymour 2nd after a puncture on the last lap

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭SuperSean

Had an absolute blast today!

Thanks to DCCX for organising.

What a bloody tough race!!
    First lap I got tape caught in my cassette then followed by falling 2 times cos I haven't a breeze how to ride in mud :D (maybe my psi was too high but the fear of punctures is too strong ha).

The next two laps seemed to go better and I was getting more comfortable riding on the mud but that was short lived as my rear derailleur decided it had enough and had to abandon.
    Gutted but at least I tried ;)

Now to order a replacement in time for the Leinster champs!

Forget timing chips, they'll need photo finish equipment after that sprint to the line.:D

I compared the efforts on Strava, you hit 35kmh, I was on 26kmh.
    SuperSean wrote: »
    ...my rear derailleur decided it had enough and had to abandon...

Now to order a replacement in time for the Leinster champs!

Lenny know's a place where you can get a buy two get one free kinda deal. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Never ever lend your bike to a girl.

My sister was home for the weekend and rode the ladies race on my bike.

She did well for her first CX race but sadly nobody told her it was over and she did an extra lap.

Which meant I missed the start of the B race. Think I was 5 minutes behind everyone else! Caught a few but in my haste to get back up the field I slid out coming back down towards the woods. After that the pressure started dropping on the rear. Got some air in but by lap 3 I was riding on rims and making more time running so that was that.

Great course and the Club got a win in the B race so happy out.

Plus Free Beer! Class.

daragh_ wrote: »
    She did well for her first CX race but sadly nobody told her it was over and she did an extra lap.

Yes, my point, marshalls should have come back to the finish line to stop riders from doing an extra lap.. Chequered flag needed for next time...

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Great course today and great venue. Big appreciation to all involved in organising such an event. Very mucky course which was the real challenge today. If the land had have been dry it would have been a quick track as not too technical. Though the rutted fields still a challenge. I struggled big time today. I have a raft of excuses but I'll spare you. I just made the most of it and took the opportunity to get some mud practice in. I managed to rescue 3 major front end slides coming down through the field and managed to stay upright for the race which was a plus. I rode motorbikes for years so there are some handling skills engrained in the noggin which translate well.

Is there any particular technique to help with front end grip? I tried focusing on putting some more weight on the front but not sure if it made a difference.

This one? https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208547243263113&set=a.10208546719010007.1073742297.1369415804&type=3&theater

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

detones wrote: »
    Is there any particular technique to help with front end grip? I tried focusing on putting some more weight on the front but not sure if it made a difference.

Could be tyre choice/pressure? As your technique sounds good.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

nak wrote: »
    Could be tyre choice/pressure? As your technique sounds good.

His technique is good and he's strong too

• Advertisement

Would too low pressure cause instability in the corners? I was running 26/28 psi yesterday - the lowest I have ever tried - and on half of the turns on the landslide downhill field it was crazy difficult not to slide sideways.

Anyway, I don't like these Maxxis Mud Wrestlers at all. They've packed so densely that mud formed a "lip" along sidewalls, and had no side grip whatsoever.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement