Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenny, Alek and Rob's cyclo crossbromance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Alek wrote: »
    Would too low pressure cause instability in the corners? I was running 26/28 psi yesterday - the lowest I have ever tried - and on half of the turns on the landslide downhill field it was crazy difficult not to slide sideways.

Anyway, I don't like these Maxxis Mud Wrestlers at all. They've packed so densely that mud formed a "lip" along sidewalls, and had no side grip whatsoever.

Shouldn't do, the pros run down to around 16 psi. The Mud Wrestlers aren't great, not very supple and I didn't find them particularly grippy.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

*Sunday 10 Jan 2016 National Champs*

Anyone know if there'll be a B/Support race at this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

There was a support race last (this) year.

But it is mostly for blow-ins. Being Irish, go for the main champs! :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

There was a support race last (this) year.

But it is mostly for blow-ins. Being Irish, go for the main champs! :D

I can see the headlines now

'Seymour's bid for glory ruined by incompetent Fred in Altura jersey'

Just change the jersey to Molteni and escape the fate :P That'll give you the extra 10 watts to be lapped only once!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

colm18 wrote: »

Will be plenty of contenders for the National champs this year..

O'Reilly, Kinning, Montgomery and Seymour, will be an interesting race!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Will be plenty of contenders for the National champs this year..

O'Reilly, Kinning, Montgomery and Seymour, will be an interesting race!

and Roger Aiken

Eamonnator wrote: »
    and Roger Aiken

Yea he should be in the mix this year as well, though hasn't been seen in any of the southern races so far this year..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Yea he should be in the mix this year as well, though hasn't been seen in any of the southern races so far this year..

Not in any southern races ! Jaysus, the Feckin traitor .....

RobFowl wrote: »
    Not in any southern races ! Jaysus, the Feckin traitor .....

Yea cos this was my point in saying that... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just asking, do you see any or many flat bar racers in CX in Ireland?

Don't even ask what happened there after the start. I don't know; the more I look at it the more confused I am :mad:

:pac:

No gauges this time, it seems everything that could fail, failed on me on Sunday, including the speed/cadence sensor and myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Ha. You came off exactly where I did!

I had trouble exiting that corner in most laps... :/

Guys and guyettes, if you were racing the last 2 muddy races with disc brakes, check your pads wear. Mine were almost gone, and they're sintered ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Guys and guyettes, if you were racing the last 2 muddy races with disc brakes, check your pads wear. Mine were almost gone, and they're sintered ones!

Nice one Al! I think my brakes are totally knackered actually...kinda tempted to get a cantilever bike just for the lightweight...I wouldn't be riding the cross bike as a winter trainer anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭fat bloke

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    .I wouldn't be riding the cross bike as a winter trainer anyway.

Go for it. I'm winter training on mine and I'm sorry I ever paid any heed to the cantilever doomsayers. I find the braking perfectly adequate. Haven't noticed any difference to be honest. Cross bikes make awesome road bikes. Comfy, sturdy, stiff and responsive without being harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Little sign of much wear on my pads. Swiss stop sintered(rear brake)
    Used since Glencullen, so 3 races and a handful of training spins.
    I'm still running my original organic pads up front. Obviously I'm not going hard enough.

I don't use my brakes in CX races so they're grand! :D

• Advertisement

Used since Glencullen, so 3 races and a handful of training spins.

I had mine for 1000km+, mostly commuting (a lot of braking!), but last two races just finished them off.
    I don't use my brakes in CX races so they're grand!

:D

I had mine for 1000km+, mostly commuting (a lot of braking!), but last two races just finished them off.

:D

I'm about 700kms behind you on my pads.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

colm18 wrote: »

I didnt think you liked Altura apparel Colly . .:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I really want this to replace the Giant TCX 2...it's probably about 2.5Kg lighter!

369792.jpg

Back to canti's?

Going down the carbon wheel and tubs route to try and shed some weight. Stock wheels,while bombproof weigh a tonne.

What kind of weight saving do you expect? A reasonably priced tubeless setup can be under 2600g (wheels 1650g + tyres 650g + sealant 80g + rotors 180g)

I wouldn't go for tubulars mostly because of the faff with installing / puncture patching / rolling off the rim risk.

Even when you get a massive burp using tubeless setup, you can be back on your wheels in 15s if you carry a CO2 inflator.

I won't know till I have them up and running. Also wanted a second set of wheels. I've no issues with tubs. Some of my vintage bikes are running tubs so I'm well used to the process,though I'm going to try carogna tape with these instead of glue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I have a couple of CX related questions...

46/36 up front versus 50/34 with 11-32. Is this about chain dropping and keeping a chain short? As in 34x32 is an easier spin than 36x32 which goes against how I thought the gearing would be set up! So it's about the chain during a CX "race"? rather than climbing par se?

I was just wondering the above but if anyone can enlighten me?

Second type question... A mate at work was looking into CX bikes for general use, not CX racing but maybe a bit of off road. He came across a bike that has a reasonable reputation, alloy with carbon forks.
    It's 10 speed, 50/34 - 11/32 SRAM apex with Avid BB5 mechanical disc brakes (160mm). I think the 50/34 is FSA gear.

Has the Apex double tap system and Mavic XM319 - 32 Hole rims with 35mm tyres.

I had a look online and in a few shops in Dublin (online) and in one LBS and as far as I could see he was getting great value at 810 euro. It was reduced in a sale from just under 1,100.

Would people agree given the spec?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Craig06

In what cross race would you ever need a 34x32 let alone a 36x32??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement