Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenny, Alek and Rob's cyclo crossbromance

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Is there places left for next weekend Fixx in Kiltiernan? if so where do I sign up? Nothing on FB or Website to tell me...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

miller_63 wrote: »
    Is there places left for next weekend Fixx in Kiltiernan? if so where do I sign up? Nothing on FB or Website to tell me...

Sign on here: https://fs25.formsite.com/twracing/form30/index.html

B race is almost full.

A race has 28 entries available.

Doh I was too late, its full :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I'm looking for a few more pics (thanks Beasty for yours) from each of the Leinster races if anyone knows of any links.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Doh I was too late, its full :-(

B vet places left and lots of place left in A race.
    No excuses if you want to ride ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Raam wrote: »
    I'm looking for a few more pics (thanks Beasty for yours) from each of the Leinster races if anyone knows of any links.

Sean Rowe's are going up on Facebook at the moment. Ladies and Juniors up now

Peterx wrote: »
    Sean Rowe's are going up on Facebook at the moment. Ladies and Juniors up now

Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭dooverylittle

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Ah now, his laptime was only 29 seconds off the Elite race winner! :pac:

Not taking anything away from the performance which was great, but comparisons of lap times between the different races is worthless on a muddy day.

A few words on the Leinster Champs: http://swordscc.com/leinster-cx-champs-roundup/

OK, it's a big pic but I think it deserves to be here in all its glory. Photo by Sean Rowe.

The start of the Crossmass B race at the Leinster CX Champs...

12362790_10208641229092700_3787680848224390517_o.jpg

• Advertisement

RobFowl wrote: »
    B vet places left and lots of place left in A race.
    No excuses if you want to ride ....

I'm only 38 :D

and as for the A race I would be just a moving chicane for them:pac:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

I'm only 38 :D

and as for the A race I would be just a moving chicane for them:pac:

Ah that's a pity, I was looking forward to renewing our rivalry ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Not taking anything away from the performance which was great, but comparisons of lap times between the different races is worthless on a muddy day.

now now, worthless?
    Difficult maybe but sure we can give it a shot. Sure it's a discussion forum!

Crossmass race = 1.0 mud difficulty level
    Ladies = 1.02
    Vets = 1.05
    Elite = 1.08

Take his laptime and multiply by 1.08 to get a guesstimate laptime and then multiply that by 6 to see how long the A race would have taken if he didn't get tired by the extra laps

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Peterx wrote: »
    now now, worthless?
    Difficult maybe but sure we can give it a shot. Sure it's a discussion forum!

Crossmass race = 1.0 mud difficulty level
    Ladies = 1.02
    Vets = 1.05
    Elite = 1.08

Take his laptime and multiply by 1.08 to get a guesstimate laptime and then multiply that by 6 to see how long the A race would have taken if he didn't get tired by the extra laps

My own two cents would be that is underestimating the mud factor - in the B race even the difference between lap 1 and lap 3 was huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

There is no real comparison to be made.

The three trees section devolved really quickly.
    The A racers had to run the back section leading onto the first pavement climb. The following descent was getting much worse.
    The off-camber, zig-zag running section after the second pavement climb was really bad too.

Plus if the guy who won the B race, didn't have a clean bike every lap, had he been in the A race, it would've clogged up with muck pretty quickly and he'd be going slower still.

There's lots of factors that determine whether someone would ride the B race instead of the A race. Chief among them is that the A race is on later in the day. A person might not have time to be hanging around for that extra hour or three.

Another factor.. or rule.. Would be that if you win a B race previously that you should step up and race your age Cat, i.e. M40/50 or if outside that then step up to the A/Elite cat...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Another factor.. or rule.. Would be that if you win a B race previously that you should step up and race your age Cat, i.e. M40/50 or if outside that then step up to the A/Elite cat...

We're possibly at the point where official cross rankings should be introduced....
    Not enough riders for 3-4 cats but certainly enough for 2....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I'd say three. That would help with splitting B races, as we all know they are getting quite crowded recently...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Alek wrote: »
    I'd say three. That would help with splitting B races, as we all know they are getting quite crowded recently...
    I think though you need to consider how to get all the required races in. 4 on Sunday was the absolute limit, and even then we were pushing it with guys there before 7am doing some of the last minute preparations. We would have liked to have had a little runaround for younger kids also, but it simply was not practical when we were running so many races. Of course the number of races on Sunday was driven by the fact there were Championship medals at stake in 3 of them.

Introduce an extra category and that means a minimum of 3 separate races, with then questions as to whether to run anything extra for youths/masters and women

4 on Sunday was the absolute limit

The amount of good work you have done guys was staggering, and I fully understand that 4 races on the same day is nearly as much as human beings can handle.

On the second though I don't really think that extra cats would help much more than simply keeping the B senior race separately, with no extra categories thrown in. B seniors and B vets together are already too much, as we can see from the time that FIXX series got sold out...

Someone capable should do some number crunching and come up with statisticlly balanced division of categories between 3 races...

(does it make sense? fecking caffeine pills...)

• Advertisement

Yes, a rider points system would be good, just needs to be agreed on with the clubs who run events, Worc, Swords, Dccx and the clubs up North...etc

Rather than looking to run a "C race" it would be better to have a more even spilt between the A and B race..

In the case of championship events, I would rather be top 10 in the Elites than winner of the "Crossmax" race...

I would rather be top 10 in the Elites than winner of the "Crossmax" race...

Were you racing on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

There is no real comparison to be made.

The three trees section devolved really quickly.
    The A racers had to run the back section leading onto the first pavement climb. The following descent was getting much worse.
    The off-camber, zig-zag running section after the second pavement climb was really bad too.

Plus if the guy who won the B race, didn't have a clean bike every lap, had he been in the A race, it would've clogged up with muck pretty quickly and he'd be going slower still.

It's interesting, in Grange Castle, on a course which didn't change at all over the course of the day as it was so dry, the winner of the B race would have placed around 50th in the A race, based on his average lap times.

Making the same comparison for Sunday, the winner of the B race would have been 5th or 6th in the A race. I think Peter was pretty close with his 1.08 factor.

The typical A race lap time was ~4% faster than the typical B race lap time on Sun. In Grange Castle it was ~10% faster. The fact that some riders who would have been in the A or B races were in the Vets races probably messes with this a bit.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Conditions were a hell of a lot worse given there had already been 3 races on it and the downpours which continued until the morning of the races. Not suggesting it was in any way "easy" for the B race, but the course was badly churned by the time the A's got their chance

in Grange Castle, on a course which didn't change at all

On a grassy course like this, every next race is a tiny bit easier - you get compacted tracks and slightly smoothed bumps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I too would like to see better communication between the various organisers, if at all possible.

It's a bit disheartening to see guys who got the placings and promtion in FIXX then turn up to DCCX and enter the Bs and do it again. Then do it again in Cashel. Then do it again in the Leinsters.

They aren't doing anything wrong, obviously, it's just a quirk of the league structure here.

And it's not like I'd be placing if they weren't there. It just means that almost the entire first half of the season is decided after race 1.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I too would like to see better communication between the various organisers, if at all possible.

It's a bit disheartening to see guys who got the placings and promtion in FIXX then turn up to DCCX and enter the Bs and do it again. Then do it again in Cashel. Then do it again in the Leinsters.

They aren't doing anything wrong, obviously, it's just a quirk of the league structure here.

And it's not like I'd be placing if they weren't there. It just means that almost the entire first half of the season is decided after race 1.

The Leinsters is not a league. No one can be forced to enter the championship race if they don't want to. If Seymour wanted to ride the support race then he is fully entitled to.

Anyway, for the NDCX series, we looked at each entrant to determine if they warrant an upgrade to the A race.

I'm not sure where the suggestions of extra races came from!

I merely said we are probably at the point where need more formal cats. The A races usually have places left, the B races fill quickly yet the top places are won by much the same people week in week out...

Simply feel there should be a way of streaming people more effectively into the appropriate races....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Any ideas on what this "new feature" at the next Fixx race is all about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Any ideas on what this "new feature" at the next Fixx race is all about?

Flyover!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement